ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tow bars?

Cupped 182 with Milltek
I have a 2005 182 and a problem ( well only one that can be helped here).I have a trials bike that I need to move around, I realise that the tow limit for the car is zero but the bike only weighs 68kg and I want to use a Dave Cooper bike rack. Does anyone know of a tow bar that fits the 182,will a standard towbar fit or does the exhaust get in the way.Using the bike rack I will not strictly be towing! Help or the car may need to go for something "sensible"

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I've got a tow bar on my 172. Yeah, its a long story, and court action against the dealer for selling me a 172 on the basis that there was "no problem" with towing with it is still unresolved. In fact one of the excuses being used is what you're saying, that the fact that I asked for a towbar doesn't prove I wanted to tow, I may have just wanted it to fit a bike rack to.

But I'm only familiar in general terms with the exhaust on the 182. So I'll describe the tow bar and you figure out whether it'd interfere with your exhaust.

There's an L-shaped bracket at each end bolted to the chassis. They're not likely to be a problem. Then between the L-brackets up inside the empty shell of the bumper bar there's a straight square steel tube. The tube itself is 50 mm above the lower edge of the bumper bar and at the car's centre line is about 40-45 mm further towards the front of the car than thet lower edge of the bumper bar. But at the centre its got a bulky peice that the gooseneck fits into welded to it that projects another 10 mm forwards, and down to just below the lip of the bumper bar.

Cupped 182 with Milltek
Thanks for that Gordon, here is a link to what I think is a bar that will fit,if you look at the fitting instruction pdf file, is that what you have yourself.I assumne that yours will look something similar.Hope that court case works out matey. I never had any thought of a tow bar when I bought the car, never thought that any car such as ours would have a limit of 0kg....seems odd but apparently the ST mondeos and Focus are the same or so I was told anyway!

I opened that link and went to the section that said "Towbar fitting instructions" and opened the pdf. It opened as RN63[2].pdf. There was a drawing of their towbar for a Clio in it.

The Renault towbar is a bit different to that in ways that might make it easier to fit above the 182's dual exhaust.

See those L-brackets at each end. Well with the Renault towbar they are rotated 90 degrees. On the Witter towbar they are an "L" when looked at from the side. On the Renault towbar they are an "L" when looked up at from above/below. Well, and L on one side and a reversed L on the other. That in itself isn't important except that it means the square tube is welded between them not under them. On the Witter towbar that square tube is a shallow "V" (looked at from the rear) with the centre low enough that the gooseneck can be mounted to it and be below the bumper var. By comparison the square tube on the is mounted higher with a section welded downwards in the centre to mount the gooseneck to. It looks like a "T" (when looked at from the back) with a short vertical on it. That is except at the centre the Renault towbar is further up inside the bumper bar and would be more likely to clear the 182's two exhaust outlets where they stick out through the cutouts in the bumper bar.

I never could get Renault to say why they don't approve a towbar for the Clio Sport. The rear of the car where it bolts up is the same. There's not a structural problem. And a 2-litre engine should should make it a better tow car than a 1.4 or a 1.6. And its got damn powerful brakes. And at least in the case of the 172 the towbar they offer bolts straight on. God they were a pain in the arse. I tried to get them to say in writing in a form I could use in court whether what was printed in the manual, that "not available as an option" mean not approved, and they refused to say it until I threatened them with legal action. When I'd originally enquired about buying the car the salesman rang Renault and they said "no problem" and supplied one that he fitted, so now he's saying why the hell should he have to compensate me when he asked them. But I have to sue him because I purchased the car from him not Renault. If they'd put "maximum towing weight 0 kg" in the owners manual and the web site instead of the ambiguous "towbar not available as an option" there wouldn't have been a problem.

Sorry for the whinge. Hope you get yours sorted out. Maybe this is heresy for a 182 owner, but it'd be no hassle fitting a towbar if you sacrified the fashionable dual-outlet exhaust.

Last edited:
  Cupped 182 with Milltek
BURN THE HERETIC....BURN ! Thanks for that though Gordon,I will have a chat with the dealer in Livingston when I get a chance,wont be for a few weeks yet though. I have mailed the local tow bar bloke regarding the witter job too.
Inside the door on the 182 there is a label with the maximum towing weight listed as 0kg,dunno if the 172 has the same or not?

Inside the door on the 182 there is a label with the maximum towing weight listed as 0kg,dunno if the 172 has the same or not?

On the door there's a tyre placard.

The dealer stuck the label saying 500 kg max towing weight that came with the tow bar below it.

On the door opening there's a vehicle identification plate that has a chassis number, a number of weights, plus a build date and stuff like paint code and equipment level and trim code on it. But EVERY one of those weights says "0000 kg", including the ones for maximum possible all up weight, maximum possible load train weight, maximum possible front axle loading, and maximum possible rear axle loading. Clearly Renault doesn't take its responsibility to get things right very seriously.

Renault never type tested the 172/182's for a tow bar therefore fitting one invalides insurance as the car hasn't been rated to tow.

The body sheel of a 1.2 though is the same as a 172 its just the 1.2 etc were type tested to tow.

The 172/182 arn't ideal for towing the clutches and engine setups arn't designed for it.

Renault 172/182are in much the same boat as Skoda VRS owners in that the dealers know the sheel are the same as normal cars which can have to bars fitted and many dealers use common sence and fit tow bars but under law there all illegal and if you tow with one insurance is invalid even if you've told them it is used for towing.

CTR--VX220D
Renault never type tested the 172/182's for a tow bar therefore fitting one invalides insurance as the car hasn't been rated to tow.

The body sheel of a 1.2 though is the same as a 172 its just the 1.2 etc were type tested to tow.

The 172/182 arn't ideal for towing the clutches and engine setups arn't designed for it.

Renault 172/182are in much the same boat as Skoda VRS owners in that the dealers know the sheel are the same as normal cars which can have to bars fitted and many dealers use common sence and fit tow bars but under law there all illegal and if you tow with one insurance is invalid even if you've told them it is used for towing.

Thanks Edde - I was bagging a sale there :rasp:

Thanks Edde - I was bagging a sale there :rasp:

Yours will fit a normal Clio though.

Cupped 182 with Milltek
So what you are saying is that I am going back to a Subaru then....now how do I break that one to the wife!...but is having one fitted illegal or using a bike rack illegal or is it only illegal if you tow something? may be easier to buy a different car!

Cupped 182 with Milltek
even the prospect of trying to discuss this with NU insurance is enough to put me off,somebody in Bombay is hard enough explaining what a cup pack is....need to change insurers to anyway!