ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Torque wrench

RB 182
Looking to get a cheap one... Any pointers as to which ones to get? Ones to stay away from? etc...

Don't want to spend anything fancy but also don't want to buy a cheap ebay one if it breaks or gives a duff torque setting.

Thanks,

Mike

It's A Reno
It depends what you mean when you say cheap, but really cheap torque wrenches are a waste of time. You may as well use a spanner and guess.

I've got a couple of Halfords own brand torque wrenches because when I was looking at buying one, I found that in reviews where they had done bench tests, they were the best on test. They are very accurate and consistent and very user friendly.
One of the best buys I've ever made and I love 'em TBH.
They're around £50 which for what you get is very good IMO.

Ofcourse, it's also a matter of looking after them too ie. keep them clean and in their cases when not in use and reset to zero after use too. Leaving them loaded fcuks them up.

Hope this helps.

megan R26.R number 006
Looking to get a cheap one... Any pointers as to which ones to get? Ones to stay away from? etc...

Don't want to spend anything fancy but also don't want to buy a cheap ebay one if it breaks or gives a duff torque setting.

Thanks,

Mike

get one from halfords they are not a bad price ;)

Torque wrenches get on my breasts. Or rather, their common misuse does. SO many people, in particular half the monekys at those tyre fitting places, wind the c**t in at a million Nm, then get the torque wrench out and do a token 'click'. Great, congratulations, now you know it's between zero and a million Nm. Idiots.

Actually this thread caught my eye because I'm considering getting myself a reasonably priced wrench for doing my rear brakes. I think it'll be important to torque the hub nut properly as opposed to 'FT'.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Very Handy Tool........ Wheel Bolts, Hub Nuts etc. are all important to get Torqued up correctly

OT i know - but i have a torque wrench already, and what do you guys do your wheel nuts up to? I go up to 90-100 ft/lbs, when i worked at Renault they used to say that was too much, and 60 was more like it, but i find that loose?

Opinions?

think i've got two or three random ones, none of which go up to Clio hub-nut torque, so will probably have to borrow someone else's if i ever need to do bearings/etc. it's a consideration anyway - you'd want one with a relatively high upper range - likely expensive. i believe they should really be recalibrated every now and again as well (?). i'd have thought engine builders would be able to recommend good wrenches

2001, 1.2 16V mk2 ph2! I got alloys as well!!

I normally do fronts at 100 and rears at 80-90! Scary that Renault do them at 60!

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
argos (no really) do a good torque wrench for about £20 (was £15 when i bought it)
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...=20&c_1=1|cat_12107492|Car+equipment|12107493
the mechanics at my work use the same ones. they are checked for calibration all the time and have never needed adjusting. the range is pretty good too, 28-210 nm, iirc, i had some bolts to do up on my spoiler, and they were to go in at 4nm, i could not find a wrench that would go that low, i think 6 was the lowest i could find.

my wheels are torque'd at 90nm, the picasso is 100nm, for some reason fords are 80nm, but the locking nuts on the larger cars are torqued at about 72 or something lower because of how easy the metal chews.

I do mine too tight then!
I do mine to 100ft/lbs which is 125NM
60ft lbs is 81NM so i should be doing them to 60 like Renault said!

Track 172cup
just looking to get a new torque wrench and thought i'd bring up this old thread instead of stating a new one

would it be best to get a 3/8" or 1/2" drive ?

the 2 i've been looking at are 3/8"
http://toolstoday.co.uk/shop.php?sec=prod&prod=9998
http://toolstoday.co.uk/shop.php?sec=prod&prod=4755&cat=2236&load_page=Sealey+Torque+Wrench+Micrometer+Style+3%2F8%26quot%3BSq+Drive+7-112Nm%2F5-83lb.ft

the main thing i would be using it for is spark plugs, wheel bolts and any other important bolts/nuts like brakes and inlet etc...

i'm thinking about getting one that does about 20nm-100nm as i doubt theres much over 100nm on the car and then get a smaller say 5nm-20nm one aswell

Lionel Richie
Fred actually has the poshest torque wrench I've ever seen

by the way, word of advice to everyone, i caught someone (no names mentioned) using a torque wrench wrong the other day, it seems it is possible to be a complete mongol even with the correct tools ;)

It's A Reno
Type A have longer bolts, type B bolt to the hub then the wheel to the spacer.

And their both Aluminium.

In that case I would say for the type A use normal torque. Any more may stretch the bolts and will deform the threads.
As for the type B, the manufacturer should be providing torque settings for you.
Are the they threaded into the aluminium, or are they helicoiled?

Type B

Not to pivot fixing bolts with the impact screwdriver.
Use suit - torques that vehicle -
and/or special wheel manufacturer according to TUV - the appraisals.

Make any sense?
just use normal torque?

It's A Reno
Type B

Not to pivot fixing bolts with the impact screwdriver.
Use suit - torques that vehicle -
and/or special wheel manufacturer according to TUV - the appraisals.

Make any sense?
just use normal torque?

Nein lol.

I would imagine you use the normal torque but I'm just a bit concerned about the bolts threading in aluminium.
Is it a plain thread in the aluminium spacer or is there a threaded insert in the holes?
Go and have a look or a piccy maybe.

It's A Reno
Somehow I can't see a 12mm coarse thread into ally taking 90nm.
They should be helicoiled surely.
I take it these will go on the rear.

I hope someone can say I'm wrong, but that seems dodgy.