ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TomoTek - 182 Track Build here we come!...

If you were to put a price on this car if you were to sell it, what would you put it for?

Just out of interest.

images-DRevil-one-million-dollars.jpg

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
@AdamCup @jamebryan .. haha!.. interesting question.. I’m not sure really, never thought about it.. with the cost of the parts on the car and all the custom designed stuff and labour and level of detail it would probably be about the £15-£20k mark at a guess [emoji2371] I’m always going to think it’s quite high though

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
What's the reason for twisting the wires in the loom?

Hi.. two reasons really.. certain wires are for CAN Bus signals going between dash to car and dash to GPS, these wires have to be twisted to cancel out electromagnetic interference (EMI) from external sources, power cables or other twisted pairs... and secondly the main wires where there are a large quantity are twisted all together to prevent any strain in the loom.. it enables the loom to be bent 90deg without snapping any wires inside the heatshrink.. if they were all straight the inside wires would have to bend at a much tighter radius than the ones on the opposite side, which would have to stretch.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
I’m trying to catch up on all the work I’ve been doing.. one of the jobs I did a couple of weeks ago in preparation for this season was to fit bonnet vents to help the airflow through the radiator, and keep the engine bay temps down.. (water temps were on the warm side during the summer testing)

I bought a set of the fiesta vacuum formed ABS vents.. thought they suited the bonnet shape the best.. and allowed the most airflow in the area I wanted.

First job was to mark out, using a template I made, where I wanted them to sit.

81b9c65cb7b2b5b340fa32c1c2ae40be.jpg

I then flipped this over to mark up the other side.. the same process I used for the aerocatches

1c00f44fe1a50115b0bc898629c896ae.jpg

I placed towels over the engine to catch all the swarf and grinding dust which would follow

8563e958cd4f81c2886cb841d532c0c8.jpg

First job was to drill a hole for the small radius.

cf6b9aef94f7cb7729cd06dfe56bef1a.jpg

Then I used the grinder with a slitting disc to cut the straight lines

56cb8d0fc5407e9072a899edf974de58.jpg

Then finally I used the jigsaw to cut the larger radius curves

27dd573da48e3623573c9b77f1a3e5ad.jpg

Last job was to peel off the masking tape and sand the edges smooth and prep the area for bonding,

f1955bcb267ab9ffa78d80459afeef0b.jpg

I then ran the car up to get the engine bay and bonnet nice and warm, to help the silicone set.. I used Sikaflex 221 sealant to bond the vents to the bonnet, same stuff I used for the rear poly windows.. these were held down with strips of tape during the boning process

d93e3a4e5671df1bbb4f0d73e1e34026.jpg

E46M3
This car is great and really an inspiration! As a car electronics expert myself I must say that your wiring job looks outstanding too. Seems there’s nothing you can’t do!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Till this point it was one of the best projects here....now it becomes a litle nit show&shiny :(

How is this show and shiny?
I haven't seen any polishing.... you want to see that get into my thread. ha.

Just someone doing it properly, why would you do it any other way if you have the skill and facilities to do a good job that doesn't need re-doing?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
This car is great and really an inspiration! As a car electronics expert myself I must say that your wiring job looks outstanding too. Seems there’s nothing you can’t do!

Thank you very much for your support and kind words.. I do oddly enjoy the wiring side of things, it’s definitely something that if you spend the extra time on you can get some great results.. Again I was lucky that my time at McLaren I was able to learn a lot from all areas of the business.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Till this point it was one of the best projects here....now it becomes a litle nit show&shiny :(

Hi Will, that’s fine, everyone has their own view, no offence taken [emoji1360].. was it the addition of the bonnet vents that tipped it over the edge? [emoji23] .. to be honest we’re trying to showcase the car and get sponsors for this season.. sponsors are far more likely to want to be associated with a professional looking team with a well prepped car.. which has worked well as we have been praised by a lot of people we have met, and secured quite a few deals already.. plus the reliability gained by building like this is invaluable when racing

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
How is this show and shiny?
I haven't seen any polishing.... you want to see that get into my thread. ha.

Just someone doing it properly, why would you do it any other way if you have the skill and facilities to do a good job that doesn't need re-doing?

Yours is particularly shiny I’ll give you that! Haha!! [emoji6] .. so glad to see your so close to getting out in it now!.. you need to invest in some heli tape to protect the paint by the wings/doors from gravel rash

Clio RS
Hi,

dont get me wrong! I was only a silent ready, which was and is impressed by your project car. And I Wish you all the best for your sponsor search. This was only a joke, not the best maybe.

But now seriously,

if you look at the pic below

The striped areas is underpressure, and the white areas are overpressure, (its according the engineer Hucho, sorry for the german description) it seems that in the middle of the bonet, where youre outlets are located should be a less of under pressure in comparrison to more in the front or more to the rear. I know the pic is not a clio but in general this sheme is used for basic understanding.

So if your intension was the have a heat diserpation while driving it seems that it might be not the best possition. More to the rear would be the best.

I might be even better if you could open the the sheet metal below the wipers. Or find a solution like the clio williams or 16V.

If it was your intension ta have a good heat disserpation while standing, its seems perfect.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
As some of you may have seen on various other social media platforms we have finished the livery design, which we ran at the first MSVT official test day at Brands last week!.. I spent weeks playing round with livery designs before finally settling on the following base design...

fceca69bd20a9ea2f6a45b12ff9f1d7d.jpg

I planned on leaving the blue parts as the std metallic paint of the panels, then adding Matt white, gloss grey and gloss black vinyl to form the livery..

Vinyling was the best and cheapest option for us, easy to repair if/when we get damage from racing.

I went on the hunt for decent vinyl to use. I settled on KPMF airelease from MDP Supplies.. As I decided I would do all the application myself I went for good quality vinyl with the air release technology making it easier to apply.

2 very long days and nights before the test I managed to get everything sorted.. here are some pics of the process

01651490a2bbb9b2c9f8fda0cfa6171c.jpg

Door handles are “fun” haha (I removed them to wrap them separately)

b1284a3c165b654f3b051008c3b5accb.jpg

Logos on!... all trims, and sills were removed so I could wrap around them for a better finish

3a070713be4d9dbf80167b030552aace.jpg

Bonnet details on!.. lined up with the vents

5da5c0656ff1373ddb89ec53044186e3.jpg

Then the whole process again on the other side!!!! (Starting to get a little tedious haha)

73ad5640d1677a01b19779b966024835.jpg

77b7be8303d7cc79c605cd20e8a21c1a.jpg

8a557ba8006f50f40e013992661c50d1.jpg

All done and off to Brands we went, here’s the finished product.. still need to fit the championship sponsors and more of our personal sponsors.. but I think it’s looking good so far!....

d6841d101250b2ca41b3704f25714633.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Yours is particularly shiny I’ll give you that! Haha!! [emoji6] .. so glad to see your so close to getting out in it now!.. you need to invest in some heli tape to protect the paint by the wings/doors from gravel rash

I am pre-empting the brakes making a mess so thinking if I polished/waxed and sealed the areas I will never get to again it should hopefully help rinsing. ha
I am kinda close, but as you have probably seen, not being able to communicate with it is frustrating.

I will look into the Heli-tape. I know the area's at the back/bottom of the door aperture are prone, where else do you mean?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
The striped areas is underpressure, and the white areas are overpressure, (its according the engineer Hucho, sorry for the german description) it seems that in the middle of the bonet, where youre outlets are located should be a less of under pressure in comparrison to more in the front or more to the rear. I know the pic is not a clio but in general this sheme is used for basic understanding.

So if your intension was the have a heat diserpation while driving it seems that it might be not the best possition. More to the rear would be the best.

I might be even better if you could open the the sheet metal below the wipers. Or find a solution like the clio williams or 16V.

If it was your intension ta have a good heat disserpation while standing, its seems perfect.

The main purpose is to improve the airflow through the radiator. As there is a high pressure in front of the bumper, radiator area I need to reduce the pressure behind the rad to enable higher airflow through it. As there are no real exits to the engine bay area the pressure under the bonnet will be quite high, therefore restricting the amount of airflow through the radiator.

By placing the bonnet vents where I have, the fast airflow over the bonnet near the front/middle where the lower pressure, or less high pressure (which ever way you want to look at it) it will suck the air out through the vents and create a lower pressure under the bonnet allowing more airflow through the rad.

I don't think moving rearwards would be of any benefit, that moves the vents into the higher pressure area which is opposite to what i want to do.
Also due to the angle of the windscreen you actually get a stagnation of air, even a reversal of airflow by the wiper area, so removing those panels wont do anything for removing hot air from the engine bay. Plus that area (scuttle) is separate from the main engine bay.
That aside, any further back and the vents sit on top of the engine/inlet which would restrict airflow to them. Also you have to consider water ingress which would then fall directly onto the injector loom, crank sensor and ecu etc.

The Clio Williams 16V inlet is to cool the inlet manifold. It causes a pressure change from the air at the front of the car to the air at the rear of the engine and forces air movement past the manifold under the bonnet. Its position is primary due to package. But again, I am trying to have air exit not enter the engine bay.

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
Do you have any decent suppliers for the bits you used to make the loom? I'm currently about to rewire mine, and it's not the easiest of stuff to find

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Few pics from our days at Brands..

It was the first official test of the MSVT trackday championship.. so first things first we had our dyno test in the morning to get our power figure for the season.

e2addd0c967868f9341b254d53747691.jpg

Then we ran through our test schedule.. we were testing our new pit to car radio system, the new dash layouts, pit lane timer, damper sweeps, tyre pressure sweeps, fuel usage etc.

5d5b0212e24f8006cd64091999491eb6.jpg

206466e4fa1b2ab5fd52d9ef8713565f.jpg

188bc7060ec9ec1723b5d804dec3a080.jpg

e51c3ff7ee01bf1185c4d2299b63589a.jpg

b15a95b267c11a4c9516f7c02d3bf231.jpg

d1effa642ae1e0b098437cf7aab0d99e.jpg

3b32fe524dd89ea703b64dbfc1b4f30c.jpg

Here’s a vid with @chrispy.clio putting in a great lap

Fastest of the day was a 55.08 .. but without our champ ballast fitted.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
What power did you make? I can’t see two pictures so apologies if you put a graph up

We had a few issues with oscillations on the dyno, but hit 158hp at the wheels after some tweaking.. getting retested on Monday at Donington to confirm the value. (Not too bad for a stock engine with no mods, and 110k on the clock lol)

E36 M3,172 cup
We had a few issues with oscillations on the dyno, but hit 158hp at the wheels after some tweaking.. getting retested on Monday at Donington to confirm the value. (Not too bad for a stock engine with no mods, and 110k on the clock lol)

Definitely not! Maybe that direct ram air induction works?

quiksilver.cm

ClioSport Club Member
  A4 black edition

That’s a good power test! I got 156bhp last year for my power test. ( I also have a stock engine)
I’m at Donnington Park tomorrow too so I’ll try and pop over for a chat.
I race in TDT.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
That’s a good power test! I got 156bhp last year for my power test. ( I also have a stock engine)
I’m at Donnington Park tomorrow too so I’ll try and pop over for a chat.
I race in TDT.

Ah good to see a similar value, I was expecting a little less tbh.. it was a bit manic with the weather being all over the place at Donington so apologies if you came to say hello... how did you get on?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Just sorting through some pics from our test at Donington on Monday!.. the MSVT photographer Mark Lees took some cracking pics, whilst hanging out the boot of the course car, as part of the lunch time photo shoot for the trackday championship / trophy competitors..

Hopefully we’ll be leading the pack like this at some of the rounds this year!

43a86da61b9ca91245de2b82c3280c28.jpg

quiksilver.cm

ClioSport Club Member
  A4 black edition
Ah good to see a similar value, I was expecting a little less tbh.. it was a bit manic with the weather being all over the place at Donington so apologies if you came to say hello... how did you get on?

I popped over after the shoot at dinner time. (It was me that helped you push your car back into the garage) I had a quick look at your car and seen you were busy ??
I had a good day but only got a 142bhp power test this year for some reason.
Did you get yours tested again at Donnington?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
I popped over after the shoot at dinner time. (It was me that helped you push your car back into the garage) I had a quick look at your car and seen you were busy [emoji1303]
I had a good day but only got a 142bhp power test this year for some reason.
Did you get yours tested again at Donnington?

Ahhhh ok, hello haha [emoji1366] and thanks.. I’ve had a bit of a dilemma with the dyno.. previously at Brands in the morning I had ossilations on the dyno which they couldn’t understand why it was happening.. did u have anything similar?.. higher up the Rev range the dyno would start to stall the car and then pick up again.. they played with the settings and got it to stop doing it and we ran 170hp at the wheels!!!!...

I raised my concerns.. they had another 182 go on the dyno straight after so I waited to see what he ran... 152hp... he had high lift cams and ported inlet and exhaust etc.. so I was rather confused

I asked to be re ran with same settings as the previous Clio... my first run was 143hp then it went to 156hp.. then ossilated again.. then eventually managed three runs at 158hp [emoji2371] .. I’m not particularly happy to be honest as I now have to run 65kg of ballast to stay in class C!..

Are you guys running in class C

E36 M3,172 cup
Absolutely awesome work Tom.
Just out interest what made you pick a clio over say a m3?
You clearly have driven some impressive cars so does the Clio still cut it?

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Nice to see you and the car, it’s trully stunning up close. Was a very testing day of testing for us, think this is the only time we’ll be in front of you this year......... ?

5FA6EA78-8C18-47CC-AC0B-7CA1660A913F.jpeg

We haven’t seen any of the official photos of our car from Monday. Mind you it wasn’t looking it’s best at the time of the photos ?

quiksilver.cm

ClioSport Club Member
  A4 black edition
Ahhhh ok, hello haha [emoji1366] and thanks.. I’ve had a bit of a dilemma with the dyno.. previously at Brands in the morning I had ossilations on the dyno which they couldn’t understand why it was happening.. did u have anything similar?.. higher up the Rev range the dyno would start to stall the car and then pick up again.. they played with the settings and got it to stop doing it and we ran 170hp at the wheels!!!!...

I raised my concerns.. they had another 182 go on the dyno straight after so I waited to see what he ran... 152hp... he had high lift cams and ported inlet and exhaust etc.. so I was rather confused

I asked to be re ran with same settings as the previous Clio... my first run was 143hp then it went to 156hp.. then ossilated again.. then eventually managed three runs at 158hp [emoji2371] .. I’m not particularly happy to be honest as I now have to run 65kg of ballast to stay in class C!..

Are you guys running in class C

The only thing I noticed when mine was dyno’d is that the hub dynos seem to vibrate a hell of a lot.

To be honest I don’t think they’re the most accurate of dynos as teams had similar problems like this last year, getting power readings well out of the norm.

Teams that were in class B in 2017 fell into class C in 2018 because of the unreliable low power readings, yet they obviously still had class B power.

What power reading are you taking for your final figure? 158bhp?

Ye I’m in class C.

quiksilver.cm

ClioSport Club Member
  A4 black edition
Nice to see you and the car, it’s trully stunning up close. Was a very testing day of testing for us, think this is the only time we’ll be in front of you this year......... ?

View attachment 1409288

We haven’t seen any of the official photos of our car from Monday. Mind you it wasn’t looking it’s best at the time of the photos ?

Did you’s have a power run at donnington too?