ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To decat or not to my 1.2 8v clio , advice?

Clio Sport 1.2 8v
I will take off the catalyst and knock out the inside so it is just hollow to decat it, not paying for a special one that does same thing, but is it worth it, not for performance really but just for a little more noise from my standard exhaust, I tried taking all the baffles out the backbox but this did not work and was a stupid idea I know haha, but will deceit make it sound a little louder + I have a k&n induction kit open cone filter style. also I heard it does make the car a little quicker too from my dad who did his 1.6 rover years ago and said it made a noticeable difference, obviously mine has not as much power anyway but would this work, I'f so it's just a bonus to it sounding good as I'm not realy fussed about speed it's never going to be "fast"

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Well when I decated my 182 on standard exhaust it sounded no different.

Why?

Why go through all that bother for a horrible noise coming off your car?

Not to mention the fact that come MOT time, your emissions will probably fail !
this^

it will probably fail its MOT, if you really wanted to get a de-cat if i were you i would buy a de-cat pipe so you can change it over come MOT time. i don't know if you can get de-cat pipes for your car.

if you want more noise and a bit more go then a performance exhaust would be where to start but personally if it was mine i would stay miles away from doing anything performance or noise enhancing to a 1.2 because it's kind of just pissing in the wind, that's my opinion anyway.

thanks

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 1.2 8v
Im on a bit of a budget at the moment that's why with my £3,000 insurance <crazy money, and I like the tailpipe on my standard exhaust too anyway but a few people tol me it would sound a little better

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
There's nothing funnier than a noisy car that never actually leaves the scene.

Used to wet myself with laughter when the badmanz drove past my house with what was a 1.0 or 1.2 Corsa with a beancan on the back of it.

ALL OF THE NOISE IN THE WORLD

GEARCHANGE

He's still there...

Goes for third..

He's still only 50m away........

So, in summary: Do it. Film it.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
You need to ask the following questions of yourself:

a) Am I a chav?
b) Am I a chav?
c) Am I a chav?

If the answer to any of the above is yes then go for it.

Clio Sport 1.2 8v
Lol, it's just the same as people doing it with 172's everyone seems to get criticized on here if they don't have a 2.0l :/

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
LMAO! You harsh b**tards! :p

To the OP... seriously, folks are (in their own way) trying to tell you to save yourself from the hassle of cannibalising your exhaust for zero gains, probably not much difference in noise and problems when it comes to MOT time. Enjoy the car for what it is now and give it a couple of years before perhaps moving on to a 1*2 when insurance premiums are a bit kinder.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You must live in Iraq to pay £3000 to insure a 1.2 Clio?!

I'd rather walk than pay someone £3000 a year.

The world has gone mad.

Renault Clio 172 cup
Its a bugger to be young isnt it? When I was about the age the OP sounds I had a 1000cc motorbike ,with a straight-through exhaust , my insurance was a 100cc rider policy on a c90 and I just 'claimed' that the 1000 wasnt mine, there were no speed cameras to talk of anywhere ( this was in the late 80's for anyone ready with wisecracks). Nowadays the poor sods cant squeeze out a fart without the old bill wanting to nick them for it , their insurances are 5 times more expensive than their cars and they have little black boxes fitted monitoring their every driving move, the roads are rammed and even if they could get up enough speed there's a camera ready to nab them if the coppers dont.
Message to the OP , as above leave the car as it is, drive it , enjoy it and look forward to the day when you're old enough to get striped by the Insurance companies just a little bit less than you are now.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
And I thought my standard exhaust was a bit loud...

OP, I'd advise against it. There's no real benefit to having a noisy exhaust, you'll just regret it when you have to go on a long journey. For the hassle it'll give you at MOT time, it's not worth it.

TBH there's no reason to have a noisy exhaust on a 1*2 either but that's another story.

Clio Sport 1.2 8v
yeah being ripped off by the insurance should be illegal its £105 a year fully comp for my dad and for me its £3000 crazy money, whats wrong with £1500 and excess being £1500 in the event of an accident. just stupid ways for them to con you out of your money, and i will leave the exhaust as it is ive decided :)