ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tips on fitting de-cat?? pls!!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Just spent another afternoon outside trying to fit my new de-cat, last night i got the old one off, lamba sensors installed then had a go at re-fitting.. failed... tried re-fitting again tonight, out side in the rain :dapprove: .. failed again... i just cant get it to line up so theres enough thread on both sides of the nuts & bolts to get them started.. i manage to get a few turns on one of them then the others needs atleast another 5-8mm just to get it past the spring to get the thread started...

tricky on a 172 ff i got mine done at a garage for 30 quid , even they said it was a b*****d to fit, as its a two man job.
mines a janspeed one.

M2 Competition
Garage did it for me for a tenner.

James - If you're finding it hard now bear in mind you have to do this twice every time you have an mot

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
well i cant get it to a garage now as there is currently nothing between my exhaust & manifold.. now that would be loud :dapprove:

Mondeo TDCI 130
Its a two person job for a start, get someone under the bonnet (engine cover off) to hold the heads of the bolts, making sure there pushed down as far as they will go!

Start one side, as soon as you positive its started, like 1/2 a turm, start the other side, it will go on mate, just a bit of fiddling!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Thats what we tried mate, my brother not mechanically minded so he just stood there holding it moaning about the wet so i sent him off indoors.... well i'm fooked then till i can get a hand, ivan you may have a pm lol

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Norma stits, any chance you could pm me your friendly MOT centres details & let them know i coming when it comes to the time, pls :)

ValverInBits
so much easier if you have a 182 manifold. Then all of the cat/decat is under the car where it should be :)

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Knows it ^ ^... damm why did they have to put the bolts up in the shitest place, i'm gonna have another go tomorrow, will prob end up pissed of again with it :dapprove:

corsa ecoflex
call me when you get home and if the weather is ok i will try and get out of work a bit earlier and pop over to give you a hand mate,as you cant do it on your own

340i
Told you they were a ball ache to fit ;)

Its defiantly a two man job.. and I did advise to try and get the car up in the air LOL!!

It took me and a friend 3hrs to fit with me crawling under the car while on axle stands

Cro

Meg'd r27
I dont think its that bad tbh, took me 45 mins on my own old one off and new one on, i used the longest extension bar on my socket ive ever seen and one of those uni joint sockets when under the car and a smaller rachet cabletied down in the engine bay, job was a goodun. And yes i am talking about a 172 manifold

RS 172
Me and a guy at work did mine, i stood there holding the bolts in place from under the bonnet and he spent ages on his back under the car trying to get it on! Was a b**ch but i've loved having it on there since!! Fingers crossed it won't be coming off for a while!!

Phase 2 172 Cup
we had mine done in under half an hour

replace the bolts with new slightly longer ones, makes it so much easier

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
i have spinners, + long socket extenders and a flexable joint thing. getting a cat back on is the hardest bit, theres loads of room around a decat.

As said b4, 1 person holds a spanner on the bolt. You then slip the spring and washers over, then put the nut in the spinner and push it all in whilst spinning. easy! lol.

it was even hard work in the pit at work, my hands are a bit too big to be getting into the spaces.