ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tim's Trophy - #455

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Fook they look good.

What's the colour bud? I may get mine done again and they look great.
Cheers Scott.

I took them to City Powder Coaters in Birmingham. It's not close but for £20 per wheel it's ridiculously good value and worth the drive. At that price I could change colour every year.

They have 3 anthracite options, all displayed on the wall in reception, I just went for the best match.

Can't wait to get them on the car

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cheers Scott.

I took them to City Powder Coaters in Birmingham. It's not close but for £20 per wheel it's ridiculously good value and worth the drive. At that price I could change colour every year.

They have 3 anthracite options, all displayed on the wall in reception, I just went for the best match.

Can't wait to get them on the car
I have the same wheel on the Impreza, I had them coated a dark grey but in some lights they seem to have a green tinge to them, even worse when they are covered in break dust.

Yours look a perfect shade. [emoji41]

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
April 2018 - 66,000 miles
This month has seen a few outgoings on both cars - the Trophy had a service, MOT and 12 months tax was due, and the Mazda also needed an MOT, 12 months tax (although I'll probably SORN it again over winter) and it needed insuring.

Now we're in April and we've hopefully seen the last of the cold weather it's time to get the winter tyres off the Trophy and the AD08Rs back on.

Both cars are now in perfect condition and ready to be driven. The Trophy Welsh Weekend is scheduled in for September, and I quite fancy taking the Eunos to Wales too at some point. Roll on the summer!

An early start and somehow I've managed to end up with both cars at work:

IMG_0048.JPG

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
The Turinis are back on with the Michelin winter tyres, and it’s insurance time so I’ve been drafting up the current spec:

Engine
JMS / Stone Automotive RS2 inlet with ported & polished base manifold and smoothed plenum cover inside
ITG filter
ProSpeed custom exhaust
Mike Edwards Motorsport custom de-cat
PMS shifter
Cup air-con delete kit
Vibratechnics engine mount
Mocal oil catch tank
Magnecor red leads
Dogbone mount
Mapped by MWM (189.8bhp)
Fuchs Titan Pro Race S oil, changed every 6-12 months

Brakes, suspension & wheels
Brembo 4-pot callipers
280mm Chris Powell adapters
HEL/Goodridge braided lines
Mr Pink pins
Brembo Max grooved discs
ATE Superblue brake fluid
Cooksport lowering springs
Eibach camber bolts
Koni adjustable rear shocks
Whiteline rear anti-roll bar
20mm front/5mm rear wheel spacers
Pure Motorsport stud & nut kit
Speedline 2118 wheels (anthracite)
Yokohama AD08R tyres (195/50/15)

Interior
Sabelt Renaultsport steering wheel with Momo boss
Josh Gault cruise control bracket
Phase 1 indicator stalk (with horn)
Intermittent wiper stalk
Stripped rear, carpeted with boot net
Alcantara-trimmed A-pillar covers
Renaultsport mats
172 door cards trimmed in Alcantara/suede
Aluminium footrest
Alpine head unit retaining both display & stalk controls
Genesis Profile amplifier
JL Audio component speakers

Exterior
Xenon headlights
Renaultsport 197 rear badge
Stubby aerial
Carbon fibre splitter
Bosch aero wiper blades
3/4 front number plate

The gearbox problem persists, so I’ve been in touch with @NorthloopCup and have taken steps to remedy and future-proof #455.

It’s going in for a power steering pressure sensor change tomorrow but apart from that I’m hoping it’s going to be a quiet and uneventful winter.

And here’s a picture from this year’s gathering in September - good times:

3A182572-E3B3-4F75-918F-54938289F35C.jpeg

pat-t2phy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio trophy
Is the rear boot mat fitted or is it just some carpet laid out over where rear seats were?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
February 2019 - 68,000 miles

I’ve decided to take the plunge - I’ve had a refurbished box for a while now, and while it was being overhauled last year I thought it was a good time to add a Quaife. It’s all going to be fitted into the car next week ahead of a weekend in Wales next month, to see what all the fuss is about.

It’s yet another very expensive mod offering only marginal gains, but the Trophy is a keeper and the diff can return on the investment in the many years ahead so I’m fairly comfortable with the outlay, and I can’t wait to be rid of the third gear issue that’s been around for a few years and has spoiled many a spirited drive. Win win.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
March 2019 - 69,000 miles

Well it's been an interesting couple of months. The car went in to have a service, the refurbished gearbox fitted, and a few other bits. While it was up on the ramp a slight issue was spotted with the Brembo brackets (read more here). Needless to say they came (/fell) off and while I've ordered another set of brackets, which are on the way, I needed the car to be roadworthy for a trip to Wales so I opted to have the original callipers refurbished and put back on. Here's a comparison:

IMG_1941.JPG

So that was the brakes sorted, then the gearbox, new clutch and a carbon shaft for the PMS shifter all went back together along with a Vibratechnics gearbox mount to go with the upper engine mount that's been on for a while.. When I picked up the car I've got to say the vibrations from the new mount were significant and it's something I'm regretting doing. The diff took some getting used to as well, but a lap of Wales gave me plenty of time for that.

I set off early on Friday, dropped some bits off at Daniel's en-route then headed to the old Severn Bridge - it's amazing it's still in operation, it hasn't aged well! The journey up until that point was pretty grim - so noisy I had to wear earphones, and not very entertaining. The car started off nice and clean too:

Here's my route for the Friday.

My overnight point was Aberystwyth and I wanted to try out some roads I've never been on before, namely a military road in the Brecon Beacons, and roads around Llyn Brianne. Well, the former was closed for military exercises, so I'll be back to tick that one off another day, but the roads around the lake were very much open and deserted and I recognised sections from a recent Top Gear where Chris Harris drove them in the new Fiesta ST and a yellow Lambo. Until that point I even managed to find a spot of sunshine but it was in very short supply, the day being mainly grey, drizzly and very cloudy:

I finished the afternoon doing a familiar route (B4518 Llanidloes to Mach) but in reverse, and it's amazing how much scenery I've never seen before. It's a stunning part of the world and an amazing road too - viewpoint over Llyn Clywedog:

The weather on Saturday was much improved and I only planned my route over breakfast.

Aberystwyth -> Dolgellau -> Barmouth -> Harlech -> Beddgelert -> Betws-y-Coed -> B4391 (best road in Wales?!!!) -> Bala -> Lake Vyrnwy -> Aberystwyth -> Elan Valley -> Rhayader -> Home

I crossed this toll bridge - well worth the 70 pence:

A terrible picture of one of the strangest and most haunting-looking buildings I've ever seen. Turns out it's a nuclear power station.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member

That day was close to 400 miles alone, and by the end of it I was ruined, but the whole weekend was the perfect way to become acquainted with the new box and Quaife. Thanks very much to @NorthloopCup for sorting it out for me, it was so nice to drive a great road 'on it' without it being spoilt when I could only engage 3rd gear at the second or third attempt, by which time the flow had gone. There was none of that, the box was nice and smooth, and the diff was absolutely savage. I spent most of the weekend just laughing out loud - it makes the car feel so much quicker overall, but it's the way it pulls you through and just slings you out of bends, it's a complete riot, I love it!

I love Wales, the roads are to:

Apart from the gearbox mount, the vibrations and the noise from the decat I absolutely love the upgrades, I love the car, I love Welsh roads - roll on a summer of good drives, and maybe it needs a clean by way of a thank you...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one, Tim. Wales is pretty cool... :p

I didn't realise you were still going ahead with the Wales weekend otherwise I would have joined you. I cancelled my overnight accommodation in Aber as I thought it had fallen through on this occasion! Oh well, not to worry... I suspect there may be future opportunities!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I've just had a skim from the start and it looks like you've built yourself a bloody well spec'd Clio Tim. Just needs brembo calipers ??.
Good write up of your recent Wales trip, makes me even less patient for our trip there in September.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one, Tim. Wales is pretty cool... :p

I didn't realise you were still going ahead with the Wales weekend otherwise I would have joined you. I cancelled my overnight accommodation in Aber as I thought it had fallen through on this occasion! Oh well, not to worry... I suspect there may be future opportunities!
For the inexcusable nature of my behaviour there will indeed be another trip scheduled, where I can hopefully earn your forgiveness. Sorry mate, not good on my part :(

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
For the inexcusable nature of my behaviour there will indeed be another trip scheduled, where I can hopefully earn your forgiveness. Sorry mate, not good on my part :(
Hahahaha :) Don't worry mate, I'm not! All is good and there's nothing to forgive. No apology needed either! I'm glad you had some quality driving time with the T... but. please, she needs a bath. :) Catch you soon mate.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve not driven the Trophy a great deal in recent weeks (/months) but earlier this week I re-fitted the carbon splitter having given it a bit of TLC then went for an evening drive from Newbury to Wantage on the B4494 - a cracking road! I got side-tracked from a spirited drive by the setting sun...

F874D976-6819-44E6-AE4F-BA25EE88B32E.jpeg

B01F17B9-7046-4CAE-AADB-060C4F6C651B.jpeg

Today I met up with a Pistonheads group for a drive out followed by breakfast.

There were a few Renaultsports and CS members in attendance (@NicJ5 , @Toomer89 @alexessex_7 , @Sam W, @Alex’s mate) plus a couple of Mk5 R32s (one supercharged), a left-hook Corvette, a Mazda RX7 with LS2 conversion, a modified Volvo Polestar and others - eclectic!

It was a good route around the South Downs, all new roads for me, and they didn’t hang around!!! 200 miles covered, met some top blokes and had some good fun behind the wheel along with a few interesting moments.

The only pic I took at breakfast:

FF0B69FE-B048-4718-BDF4-D4645E602BEE.jpeg

I’m now thinking about when I can shoehorn another trip to Wales into the calendar, and whether I can get some time off work and would be allowed to gatecrash @MrBlonde ’s trip... hmmmmm.

Next on the list is to sort the hazy headlights and it might also be time to refresh the rubber - the AD08Rs have been on for quite a few years now and are approaching the end of their useful life and it just so happens I’ve got a brand new set in the shed ready to go on.

Next week sees redundancy after 14 years’ employment and 10 years of walking to work. I’ve got a new job with a 50 mile daily commute so I’m considering options but really fancy a pre-LCI E91 330i manual. They’re pretty rare so for the short term the Trophy or the MX5 might see an increase in mileage. The search continues...

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
I’ve not driven the Trophy a great deal in recent weeks (/months) but earlier this week I re-fitted the carbon splitter having given it a bit of TLC then went for an evening drive from Newbury to Wantage on the B4494 - a cracking road! I got side-tracked from a spirited drive by the setting sun...

View attachment 1423540

View attachment 1423557

Today I met up with a Pistonheads group for a drive out followed by breakfast.

There were a few Renaultsports and CS members in attendance (@NicJ5 , @Toomer89 @alexessex_7 , @Sam W, @Alex’s mate) plus a couple of Mk5 R32s (one supercharged), a left-hook Corvette, a Mazda RX7 with LS2 conversion, a modified Volvo Polestar and others - eclectic!

It was a good route around the South Downs, all new roads for me, and they didn’t hang around!!! 200 miles covered, met some top blokes and had some good fun behind the wheel along with a few interesting moments.

The only pic I took at breakfast:

View attachment 1423558

I’m now thinking about when I can shoehorn another trip to Wales into the calendar, and whether I can get some time off work and would be allowed to gatecrash @MrBlonde ’s trip... hmmmmm.

Next on the list is to sort the hazy headlights and it might also be time to refresh the rubber - the AD08Rs have been on for quite a few years now and are approaching the end of their useful life and it just so happens I’ve got a brand new set in the shed ready to go on.

Next week sees redundancy after 14 years’ employment and 10 years of walking to work. I’ve got a new job with a 50 mile daily commute so I’m considering options but really fancy a pre-LCI E91 330i manual. They’re pretty rare so for the short term the Trophy or the MX5 might see an increase in mileage. The search continues...
It was good to meet you Tim! Make sure you get the friday off and join us in September. See you at FOS on Thursday!

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I picked this up today:

2FB43A6B-3255-46AF-8F17-CD27C4F79937.jpeg

CB645EF3-CA82-4CAF-9616-C4309DB87C38.jpeg

623EC685-6EB9-47D8-8AB3-4738DD271114.jpeg

It’s a 6sp manual, pre-LCI E90 325i (6 cylinder, 2.5l) in Le Mans Blue with Xenons on a mere 146k.

It’s rough round the edges for sure, but for less than £1,900 it’s a stop-gap until I find the E91 330i I’m yearning for.

Thanks to @Cribert I’m a wannabe member of 330i.net, and of course, CS’s resident BMW guru for inspiration and guidance - @Sir_Dave.

I’ve already picked up a replacement bootlid because the existing one has horrendous lacquer peel, and Dave is despatching a head unit to me as the display on the one in the car is goosed.

I don’t really want to spend any more money on this as necessary - it’s a solid base and with a proper deep-clean (it’s a bit grubby) I’m hopeful it will do exactly what I want it to - be a comfortable cruiser.

The 100+ mile journey home saw well over 40 mpg, although I was in full Driving Miss Daisy mode. The N52 engine is lovely, pulls well through the revs and sounds great too, and with fairly new Pilot Sport 4s/P-Zero Neros it corners fairly well too.

When I filled up I randomly bumped into a fellow Trophy owner - his on just 19k (!) and had a great chat on the forecourt.

Here’s hoping for trouble-free ownership and a swift and successful search for the touring to replace it with.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Such an absolute bargain @Tim. Hope it treats you well!
The e90's are a surprisingly good steer for a "normal" car once you get through the "comfort levels" of the suspension and start leaning on it a bit ????

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
A few updates on the 325i...

I got someone to give it a thorough interior deep-clean including shampooing the seats, and it feels like it’s easily added £500 - it’s transformed the cabin! The wheel has also had treatment from Jack @ Royal Steering Wheels, which has freshened things up no end.

After the valet it did throw an error that the passenger seatbelt wasn’t done up even though there was nobody sat in it. Annoying. Turns out they don’t like getting wet and after a week of drying out no more warnings.

The display on the head unit worked perfectly... 50% of the time. The rest of the time it was indecipherable so Dave kindly sent across his spare (thanks again), which has solved that issue nicely.

There was also an issue with intermittent sound from the right channel. Turn up the volume to max and it would fire the speakers into life but 10 miles down the road, hit a bump and they’d lose signal. Volume back up to max and they’d be back again. Odd.

When the head unit was swapped it turns out there was a load of unnecessary loom from a previous after-market H/U.

9796760D-EE28-4015-9F66-2F487073C11E.jpeg

Now removed the problem has also gone and the sound is even better than before. With the enhanced BMW HIFI system the bass is surprisingly strong (my other half is going to hate it ?).

And the final change was the bootlid, which was suffering from lacquer peel:

ED91C075-5EC2-4D50-8BBE-55D4E7ADBD55.jpeg

797E5DF3-F31F-48F4-9590-DFB2964FC84C.jpeg

03FBC1E1-43EA-4EB2-A4C7-D9538F5343C7.jpeg

33A54FB3-61CA-4DD7-8DE6-71F875ECD18D.jpeg

I picked up a replacement which had a spoiler, which adds a little something without trying too hard:

0ACE46F8-28A0-420D-B293-BC096AC1A17F.jpeg
64C8D015-3AB8-4F5B-8A78-AB71093C1DBC.jpeg
FBD4643F-03E5-48CF-9574-53A4B50A2C9A.jpeg
675F5E0A-A7AC-4A51-8E10-C62F3CADD03B.jpeg

Overall it’s returning an indicated 38mpg and I’m hopeful it’s going to be a trusty daily for a while.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
August 2019

The Mazda is currently in the workshop having a little oil leak addressed, and I’m currently debating whether to sell it or not - as the third car it gets very little use these days.

Before it goes I’m hoping to take it on the annual pilgrimage to Wales mid-September - it’ll be a very different experience to driving the Trophy but one I really want to try as it may be my last opportunity before it goes.

The BMW has just been into Dick Lovett Hungerford for some recall jobs, all sorted, cleaned and ready to get back to commuting duties having had a two week break. It’s now sporting matte black kidney grilles and I’ve picked up a set of 17s which I’ll get ready for winter tyres in the coming months too.

Last but not least, another mileage milestone with the Trophy this week:

AF4084F5-4008-4E7B-8264-16D84DA986A1.jpeg

21F775A9-1481-481D-A2F8-CDDF7176E9EE.jpeg

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
The Trophy had its MOT just before lockdown - everything in order 👍

It’s still on winter wheels/tyres so I need to get them swapped for the 2118s which I’ve just had fitted with ‘new’ AD08Rs (they’ve been in the shed for a while now).

It prompted me to check the mileage and in the last 12 months I’ve only covered 1,500. It currently stands at 70,700. That’s the lowest annual mileage in my ownership - coming up 9 years.

I’m not doing limited mileage on purpose but took the Mazda to Wales in September instead, and the E90 does all the mundane stuff so the Clio has really taken a back seat. I plan to address that this year if possible!

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
September 2020 - 71,835

214BB718-B328-4056-903F-FC5235C3F6B3.jpeg

September marks the annual 182 Trophy Welsh Weekender and it was set to be a bumper attendance, but it didn’t quite turn out that way.

For various reasons (some planned, others not so much) I spent the entire weekend on my own - trying new routes (thanks @plenty) and old favourites. It was my 10th driving weekend in Wales but I still found some great roads I’ve never driven before.

A huge aspect of the Trophy weekend is the social element and it was bittersweet not being part of a big group, but it allowed me the freedom to go where I wanted and not be bound by anyone else.

I started early on Saturday setting off at 5:30 and my first destination was Chepstow. I arrived just as the sun was rising and swapped the M4 for some more interesting roads 👍

I made it through Llangattock and up to the the fantastic B4560 - a great road with stunning views, first introduced to me by @SharkyUK back in 2014 - where I stopped for breakfast part 1. It was about 7am and needless to say there was nobody about but I knew it was going to be a great day!

97A4DF31-FDA5-409F-9574-6197CC6CA01E.jpeg

I pressed on on deserted roads up to Brecon then down onto the A4059 where I stopped for a view back to Pen-y-Fan.

6DDA1BC3-E7A8-4DBB-BA56-A4B69EBC706B.jpeg

The next highlight was the military road from Trecastle to Tirabad, which passes a German village. Last time I attempted it the range was closed but this time I had the whole place to myself and it was spectacular and pretty eerie too. A must-visit if you’re ever in the area.

I stopped for more breakfast with a view of Llyn Brianne. A farmer approached, stopped, and I was fully expecting him to reprimand me for my poor choice of parking but his first words were, “Nice Trophy that”. There followed a 20 minute chat about 1*2s, the Renaultsport brand and cars in general. Thoroughly decent bloke and it’s not often people recognise these little pink cars. Again, it’s a cracking spot albeit pretty narrow and the pace was steady but the scenery is stunning.

A83B62AC-8E6E-49F4-8B0C-5383450E92D9.jpeg

The Llanidloes to Machynlleth road is one of my personal favourites but it was a little busy so I took it steady at enjoyed the view, which as you go over the top on a good day is absolutely spectacular.

After that I made it as far north as Ffestiniog before a few goes on the lauded B4391, and I also took a few minutes out to soak it all in. What a road, what a place!

2CFF1395-AFCA-4233-896F-4C6A187270D4.jpeg

After that it was a steady plod in traffic back south to a busy Aberystwyth and a much needed rest. As the sun went down I reflected on a long 12 hours in the car and just over 400 miles of superb driving roads covered.

E87B3CB1-FC93-4A19-969F-84FAF72CF410.jpeg

Sunday was a much shorter day - the mountain road then the Elan Valley, a bit more of South Wales and another military road then home.

F9886742-B8B2-4C0A-8CD4-234CD96B5430.jpeg

DA96FE26-0A55-46BD-AE74-FDE59AE69031.jpeg

I can’t praise the Trophy highly enough, it’s just such a perfect companion on trips like these, I’m already planning the next one.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Cracking write up, Tim! The Trophy looks fantastic as usual.

Tim if you would accept an LY into your group I’d gladly join you next time. I have some experience leading convoys if that helps.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Great write-up, Tim - thanks. :) I'm glad you were able to enjoy your own Weekender and try out some alternative roads and routes. It's such a shame the Trophys' 15th birthday Weekender couldn't go ahead as planned as I feel it would have been quite the event under normal circumstances. Normal. Hmm. I'm not quite sure what that actually is at the moment!

Catch you soon mate.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Nice mate,we found it much busier this year compared to last years trip.Next year were planning on a much bigger trip,this time to the Scotland.
Yep, it was noticeably busier out on the roads - I've never seen Aberystwyth like it, usually there's a handful of campers that stay overnight at the end of the beach, this year there were dozens and dozens of them, and as for the bikers on Sunday, I reckon I saw at least 300, some were is huuuuge groups.

As for Scotland, as great as my car is on Welsh roads I just can't bear the thought of that many hours on motorways getting up there. I think if I ever do a Scottish tour I'll train/fly up and rent something interesting up there.
Great write-up, Tim - thanks. :) I'm glad you were able to enjoy your own Weekender and try out some alternative roads and routes. It's such a shame the Trophys' 15th birthday Weekender couldn't go ahead as planned as I feel it would have been quite the event under normal circumstances. Normal. Hmm. I'm not quite sure what that actually is at the moment!

Catch you soon mate.
Cheers mate, I hope you're keeping well and you get released soon. Fingers crossed we can catch up for a drive and some cake soon, and that WW21 makes up for this year's disappointment.

Seeing Ash's thread made me realise I didn't add any 'this is what it looked like at the end of it all' pictures - I'll grab one tomorrow before it gets cleaned again, it's in a bit of a state.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
May 2021 - 72,000 miles

I’ve owned the Trophy for just about 10 years now, and have covered 30,000 miles in that time, met some great people, had some fantastic drives and have absolutely no desire to part with #455 any time soon.

It has been a little neglected having hardly been driven in the last 6+ months, SORN for much of it, but that doesn’t stop the need to keep it well looked after, and it was time for the big service...

So it’s just come back from an oil change (Fuchs Titan Pro Race S), new battery (Bosch S4), belts and dephaser (OEM) plus a few other little tweaks here and there, and it feels really good to be back on the road again.

The Mk1 MX5 was sold a few weeks ago because there isn’t enough space for it at the new house, and the BMW has a few issues so hopefully the guy coming to look at it tomorrow will drive it away. In their place I’ve bought a “fully loaded” Mondeo estate, but more on that another time:

6D9D2565-8AB3-415E-8816-2FD5232F6B96.jpeg

I’ve been looking into taking the Trophy on a Scottish trip more and more and have basically planned a route but I don’t think this year is the right time - having seen some Highland groups on Facebook I don’t think it’s going to be a summer to remember for the locals, inundated with camper vans and inconsiderate (/disgusting) visitors, I’ll hopefully pick another time when there’s more enjoyment to be had and the roads are in better condition than is being reported.

The next best option is Wales, and the annual Trophy driving weekend will be happening in September, as usual, but whether I get a chance to visit before then I’m not sure - an impending house move and renovation is likely to be the focus for some time to come.

Whatever happens the car is staying so here’s looking forward to another 10 years and 30,000+ miles, wherever they might be.

A2B391CF-A00D-4132-88D4-7526F9E54F27.jpeg

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
We were planning to also do a Scotland trip this year than the usual wales Trip but will have to be next year for obvs reason,gives us time to plan out,do car bits etc ready for next year.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Glad to hear #455 is still very much ticking the right boxes despite the recent inactivity! :)

Funnily enough, my better half and I were also looking to take a Scotland trip this year but some of the hotels along our route aren't taking bookings and others are already booked-up for the times we were considering. On reflection, we decided to leave it until next year (or possibly the year after that).

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
September 2022 - 74,100 miles

Another year, another Trophy Welsh Weekender…

I took the Friday off work and after doing the school run I set off, destination Trecastle, 140 miles to the west. Headphones inserted to combat the decat drone and the PMS buzz and the journey went pretty smoothly until Sennybridge when the rain started.

4D4B36C3-542A-4F5C-9E62-4C9A33D1773B.jpeg

The military road was open so I went up and over to Tirabad, but conditions were so bad I was driving through the clouds - visibility virtuallly zero.

Down the other side and visibility improved but the rain didn’t stop. I pressed on regardless, back down towards Llandovery where I picked up the road north to Llyn Brianne.

146172E4-D238-425E-9DD5-35A70D15F967.jpeg

F2032266-F4C5-42F2-A7E5-CEFD1BA22DA6.jpeg

These roads rank as some of my favourites, the peace and tranquility, the remoteness and the views just make it feel so special.

3C46A15D-68EA-46D1-B6E1-89B1E253834E.jpeg

The weather started improving and the next stop was Tregaron for a quick bite to eat then back in the car and up to Ponterwyd for some 97 fuel.East to Llangurig then Llanidloes before the excellent road over the top to Machynlleth, views for miles.

E936146C-30FE-40C8-8A5F-7965870FFCE0.jpeg

From there it was trunk roads up to Trawsfynydd and being Friday afternoon things we’re getting busier, including plenty of dawdlers. I took the A4212 east to Bala then the legendary B4391, is there a better road in Wales? How long before a 50 limit is imposed I don’t know… Stopped for a pic of Snowdon.

14C8F791-E5F8-493A-9FF6-29D597ADF958.jpeg

At the end of the road I turned and did some of it again before diverting up to the eco triangle for a quick tour. Not only do the speed cameras take enjoyment away from driving the road but they also taint the scenery too. Ruthin was my stopping place for the night so I found my B&B and went for a walk round the lovely historic old town to stretch my legs. A great day, 384 miles and my ears were ringing but I was smiling!

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Saturday was the usual route, meeting in Llangollen and ending in Aberystwyth with some great roads inbetween. Some usual faces, new additions, a Turbo Trophy and an R26.R. Not the biggest group we’ve had, by any stretch, and we still managed to get split up, but found each other later and as always a hugely enjoyable event.

7282B99F-ABAA-4FAB-AA2B-166BDA7B063F.jpeg
7C88ED72-6D2B-4499-882F-90811A486A12.jpeg
D51236A4-26F4-4FE9-B06F-A7409E8CF186.jpeg

Ended the evening watching the sun set on a warm evening with a couple of beers.

3E7298B7-FB44-443F-A0D0-CE818D6D4EAE.jpeg

I was up early on Sunday so took a walk to a high point and just missed the sunrise.

03C7A7B0-B5FF-4BB2-A7A9-32CD954AC54B.jpeg

A quick meet and greet with the others then straight onto the Elan Valley. Roads were great but just the odd farmer or tourist in the way and it takes the edge off 5+ miles of roads made for these cars. Water levels in the reservoirs were considerably lower than usual.

1CB9653F-1EF1-4FE6-B548-E6F6C8B92221.jpeg

DC56DA19-034B-4486-8DEA-49BD5BDFA2A2.jpeg

27C959B8-323B-4CB0-A909-C707F1B15EAE.jpeg

41547F96-AD6E-4D0B-9411-5BB75706A678.jpeg

9EB477BF-7392-4E43-8143-3831843D7908.jpeg

From there I broke from the group and went solo to Beulah, Abergwesyn and back past Llyn Brianne - all excellent roads, but very narrow and extremely steep in places. This time when I got to the Tirabad military road I could see more than a few metres but that was the last of the fun stuff.

The journey from there back to Newbury was incredibly painless for a Sunday, and I got home having covered close to 900 miles in the three days, the car performing virtually faultlessly, just the same old issues with shifter alignment, but other than that flawless.