ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tim's Trophy - #455

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I've just got back from a weekend in Wales - write-up here. During the trip the car clicked over 60,000 miles and the whole weekend it performed faultlessly, but now it's time to get all the jobs that need doing done. I've got everything I need for the belts etc so I'll take it all down to MWM and will leave Mike to it. With a baby boy due to arrive in May the Trophy might not see very much use this summer but at least it'll be in fine fettle for when it's called upon next.

Don't expect any further updates for some time :)

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
July 2016 - 60,500

Big thanks to Mike Woodford for giving the Trophy its biggest service in my ownership - belts, dephaser, injectors, plugs, oil etc etc etc.

The car now also has new Brembo Max 280mm discs fitted along with Brembo callipers, which have been machined down to fit under 15s, lowered driver's seat adapters, a few powder coated bits in the engine bay, and a set of Cup Turinis I had powder coated using one of Jamie's old pictures as inspiration (@jesus).

The timing was slightly out so it's nice to know it's spot-on now, it felt great on the drive home but it's unlikely to get much use over the next few months - baby Sam arrived in May weighing 10lbs 3.5oz and having a second child really is a big change from just one. Whatever happens the car will be staying for a while yet.

Pictures to follow...

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Here's a few iPhone snaps I took after a quick wheel swap earlier. Not had time to clean or dress the tyres, and I need to swap a couple as they're the wrong rotation, but you get the idea.

Not sure how long I'll keep them on for - Cup-offset and 25mm spacers is too much, plus Hankook V12s are too much of a compromise over the AD08Rs my 2118s wear, so offers are welcome...

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
The gold looks great Tim! As do the Brembo's!

I was going to spray my track 2118's gold, but think I'm going to keep them white after Blyton.

What are your thoughts on the lowered subframes now you've managed to fit them? They're great IMO.

Top work buddy!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
The gold looks great Tim! As do the Brembo's!

What are your thoughts on the lowered subframes now you've managed to fit them? They're great IMO.

Top work buddy!
Cheers Rob, nice of you to say. I'm looking forward to catching up and seeing (/experiencing) yours sometime in the coming months.

I wasn't sure about the subframes, whether they represent good value for money, and to be fair I have only driven 50 miles on them so no verdict as yet but I have to say I was really surprised at how much of a difference they made on first impression.
looks good with gold rims, are you saying you dont like the evo v12?
Cheers Mike. Don't get me wrong, the Hankooks are a credible proposition somewhere on the spectrum, but for what I want tyres to do they're just not up to it.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Rob, nice of you to say. I'm looking forward to catching up and seeing (/experiencing) yours sometime in the coming months.

I wasn't sure about the subframes, whether they represent good value for money, and to be fair I have only driven 50 miles on them so no verdict as yet but I have to say I was really surprised at how much of a difference they made on first impression.

Cheers Mike. Don't get me wrong, the Hankooks are a credible proposition somewhere on the spectrum, but for what I want tyres to do they're just not up to it.
Me to bud! Well overdue a catch up!

Reading was the last time wasn't it!? I'm sure Tim will arrange a local meet soon that hopefully we can both attend.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Hey buddy

33f984210230b4a33970c76cb8fbbbb1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cheers mate, I'm currently away on the south coast - family holiday. Andy has been sorting a few bits and then it should be back to its best and ready for another lap of Wales in a few weeks.

How's you and yours? I can't keep up with whether it's coming or going ;)

Cheers mate, I'm currently away on the south coast - family holiday. Andy has been sorting a few bits and then it should be back to its best and ready for another lap of Wales in a few weeks.

How's you and yours? I can't keep up with whether it's coming or going ;)
Haha yeah I had a good look round it! Great fun road spec!

And its going mate, unfortunately - this weekend coming :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
November 2016 - 61,800

I've put the standard Trophy Turinis back on and they're now wearing Continental WinterContact TS850s - great cold weather tyres. The gold Cup-offset Turinis are looking for a new home, if anyone's interested, let me know.

The car is running so sweetly at the moment, the major belts service done earlier this year combined with the Recaro lowering adapters have made it as awesome a place to be as it's ever been, if not more so. I might sound like a broken record but I love this car so much, I really can't see it ever going.

It won't be long before I have a PMS shifter in my possession too, another mod which will further improve the driving experience, but other than that there are no further plans for the winter. It won't get driven too much before spring but I'm already starting plans for next year, which include a lap of Wales in April, another in June then back again in September for the Trophy Weekender, plus a few of us have talked about heading out to the N24 in May, although I'll passenger over if there's room in someone else's car.

The only other thing worth mentioning is that I'm seriously considering picking up a mk1 Eunos - I want to try topless RWD motoring and it's significantly cheaper than a Caterfield but finding one that's within budget and not rusted through might be a challenge. Watch this space...

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
November 2016 - 61,800

I've put the standard Trophy Turinis back on and they're now wearing Continental WinterContact TS850s - great cold weather tyres. The gold Cup-offset Turinis are looking for a new home, if anyone's interested, let me know.

The car is running so sweetly at the moment, the major belts service done earlier this year combined with the Recaro lowering adapters have made it as awesome a place to be as it's ever been, if not more so. I might sound like a broken record but I love this car so much, I really can't see it ever going.

It won't be long before I have a PMS shifter in my possession too, another mod which will further improve the driving experience, but other than that there are no further plans for the winter. It won't get driven too much before spring but I'm already starting plans for next year, which include a lap of Wales in April, another in June then back again in September for the Trophy Weekender, plus a few of us have talked about heading out to the N24 in May, although I'll passenger over if there's room in someone else's car.

The only other thing worth mentioning is that I'm seriously considering picking up a mk1 Eunos - I want to try topless RWD motoring and it's significantly cheaper than a Caterfield but finding one that's within budget and not rusted through might be a challenge. Watch this space...
AG 200's allowed on a Welsh blast out???

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
The Trophy is booked in for a service and MOT in the next week or two. I've got plenty of Fuchs Titan Pro Race S to go in, filters etc, and it will also have the indicator stalk replaced so the horn will work, at long last!

Then there's the PMS shifter to be fitted too!

Time has conspired against me and I haven't managed to get the shaft powder coated like I planned, but that can be done at a later date. I'm looking forward to getting the shifter in, it's been on my wish list for a long time.

Something else I've been lusting after is a rear wheel drive, convertible sports car. Sadly it's not the Porsche I crave but a 1990 Eunos Roadster import, 1.6 in Mariner Blue. It's had a few tweaks and in time it will have a few more, but for now I'm just looking forward to the sun coming out, it warming up a bit and getting to know it.

IMG_0134.PNG

IMG_0079.JPG

Ph.2 172 / A6 Qttro
These things are fun, but they are so freakin slow. Had one to fool around in winter, unfortunately no snow, sold it after 6 months 🙈:pensive:

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
March 2017 - 62,689

Picked up the car today having been serviced and with a new MOT.

The battery cover is not a straight fit with the RS2 so will either need a bit of work or it'll be moved on.

The indicator stalk didn't need replacing after all, just a dodgy connection, so I'll have my spare stalk for sale shortly, and now I've got the horn again!

I've put the summer wheels/tyres back on - anthracite 2118s wearing AD08Rs in 195/50/15 - and I'm looking forward to the first few proper drives of the year.

Oh, and the PMS shifter is in. I've only driven 5 miles or so with it but the improvement is incredible, it's so precise and the action is a world away from the standard setup. I can't wait to get used to it (and stop smacking my hand into it). The vibration/buzz in 5th is unreal but fortunately the exhaust and stereo mask it well. At the end of the day this Trophy is almost exclusively used for the enjoyment of driving and the shifter adds another string to its bow, there is no question it's staying. Had it been my daily or a motorway commuter it would definitely be a different story.

In summary the car is in good health and the latest mod is something I should have done ages ago - great bit of kit. Roll on summer and the next trip to Wales.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
July 2017 - 63,670

I've hardly done any mileage since March, partly because I've got the Eunos, and partly because I'm really enjoying spending time with my two kids - that, and my 1 year old wakes up plenty in the night so instead of an early morning blat I'm catching up on any sleep I can!

I've got to get some miles in soon though, so I'm not too rusty on the annual Clio Trophy Welsh Weekender in September, and to make the long slog up to North Wales easier I've picked up one of these, going on soon:

IMG_0828.JPG

For the first time in a long time (/ever) I don't have a list of things to buy so for the next year or two I'm hoping to keep it in tiptop condition and simply enjoy driving the thing while it continues to stave off any depreciation. More mileage required!!!

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Just because it doesn't need anything, it doesn't mean it stops me buying 'treats' for the Trophy, the latest of which was some 16in AD08Rs courtesy of Ben P on Facebook.

IMG_1089.JPG

And on Monday I'm hoping to collect some wheels to put them on. I found them on eBay, got in touch with the owner on here, we struck a deal and just need to arrange collection. They're not a wheel I've had before, just felt like trying something different. Watch this space for pictures after I've collected them...

Meanwhile it's off to Wales with a gaggle of other Trophys in 3 weeks then another trip with a few of the usual South Central faces in October to recce some more routes for next year's trip. If anyone fancies joining us for a mid-October day/weekend in Wales let me know.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
The Trophy Welsh Weekender was another great weekend with 18 of us in convoy at one point. I know Andy started a picture thread, check it out if you haven't seen it yet.

I found a few minutes spare today so I trial fitted the Ultras, which are still on the old tyres. I'll give it a few weeks and see if I like them or not. They're far from mint condition so if I do keep them they might get a refurb.

IMG_1271.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG
IMG_1273.JPG