ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tim's Trophy - #455

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As above, don't start pulling boxes out and throwing money away until someone who knows what they're doing looks at it.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm, sounds a bit similar to the third gear issue with my gearbox @Tim. Sometimes I could not get it to engage at all, especially if pushing on (and I'm not talking stupid levels of pushing on, but enjoying it responsibly). I also had the problem of it jumping (well, sliding) out of gear as well. Especially when cornering hard or going up/down hills! Which doesn't help in Wales. Dan (SJM) is getting the gearbox sent off for me so that it can be checked out and, if needed (which is most likely the case), fixed.

As for the diff... I love the Quaife. Even in the limited time and mileage I've had to experience it. With the sort of driving and roads I am able to enjoy here it makes a pleasant difference. Obviously there's a limit to how much you can push on the road but I do find it works well. On track the benefits are even greater, even if not quite up to the performance of the more track-geared setups. It is a lot of money at the end of the day but, if you're set on keeping the Trophy, then I would give it some serious consideration.

Megane 225 f1
Sounds like the same problem my mrs had with 3rd on her 206. Downshifting it would be very hard to get into gear and would crunch when it did go in. I drove it and tried pumping the clutch at the point it wouldn't go in then it slipped in a treat... ooo er misses! I have since changed the clutch kit and problem solved, like a new gearbox. Beginning to think i have the same problem with my 182 now as my 3rd and 4th crunches when pushing on

Megane 225 f1
Changing the clutch won't fix this I'm afraid mate. EVERY jc5 I've stripped has got either knackered dog teeth on the gear or selector ring or both. It's a rarity to see the synchro ring worn!

Ah right ok, i was thinking it was synchro and or gear but since doing the clutch on the mrs car i was starting to have my doubts. Looks like it will be a box rebuild then! Thanks for the advice bud.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I got up early this morning and gave the car a bit of TLC. It was a race against time - I wanted to finish before the sun rose too high, plus Sunday is family day and we were going out, but I got nearly everything done that I wanted to, I just finished off a few bits when we got home this evening. I love how it looks when it's clean, but I love driving it more!

A few pictures in the shade on the 'new' drive...

IMG_3564_zps2ixfj0gd.jpg

IMG_3559_zpsy8k8bwql.jpg

IMG_3587_zpsxh2euvhn.jpg

And one in the late evening sun...

IMG_3578_zpssq9bvcyx.jpg

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
lovely that
think i'd prefer it on turinis though?
Cheers Gaz, I know what you mean - Turinis suit these cars so well, but I like the 2118s too. The Turinis go on for special occasions.
Looking good as always Tim! Do you know whether your coming to CSS yet?
Cheers Rob.
Unfortunately I'm definitely not going to make CSS - we're going through some significant family stuff this coming month. I'm disappointed I'm not going to be there but family comes first. See you soon...

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I got up early this morning and gave the car a bit of TLC. It was a race against time - I wanted to finish before the sun rose too high, plus Sunday is family day and we were going out, but I got nearly everything done that I wanted to, I just finished off a few bits when we got home this evening. I love how it looks when it's clean, but I love driving it more!

A few pictures in the shade on the 'new' drive...

IMG_3564_zps2ixfj0gd.jpg

IMG_3559_zpsy8k8bwql.jpg

IMG_3587_zpsxh2euvhn.jpg

And one in the late evening sun...

IMG_3578_zpssq9bvcyx.jpg
Perfection.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
In the last couple of weeks I've installed a Möbius dash cam. I picked it up from Joovuu and after a bit of tweaking with the settings I'm pretty happy with the output. It's such a small device and I've gone for a standard suction mount rather than try and conceal it, but it's not a daily anyway so hopefully security isn't going to be an issue - I won't be leaving it in the car anyway. Wales will be an interesting test in terms of how much footage can be captured on a 32gb card.

I ordered some replacement LEDs recently - a Festoon-type for the poverty-spec Trophy interior light, which I may convert to the alternative map-reading light if it's worth the effort.

And an 1156 BA15S for the rear number plate. I also picked up a replacement light unit, which for under a tenner is something I should have done years ago - I'm yet to see how the bulb performs, but the improvement to the look of the rear-end is significant - so much fresher!

The other thing I've been forced to buy is a replacement Nilfisk G4 trigger gun - the old one was fûcked, gushing water everywhere except out of the jet. The replacement solves all the issues and highlights how much power has been eroding steadily over time before the final failure. I just need to find the time to give the car a proper wash and quick detail.

Apart from that the car is now ready for the Trophy tenth anniversary trip to Wales in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it should be a good turnout of around 12/15 Trophys, but what I'm looking forward to most is another ~800 mile trip on astonishingly good roads.

The next update may include a big 'belts' service, engine bay tidy-up, diff + box refurb, PMS shifter and anything else I fancy but can't afford ;) Jackpot win required!!

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
October 2015 - 58,500

Some of you may know that I organised a trip to Wales a few weeks ago to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Clio Trophy. Unfortunately a few people who had planned to come couldn't make it, but there was a great turnout all the same.

We met in Llangollen on Saturday morning and it wasn't long before we were all on the road. Within 5 minutes of leaving the car park the heavens opened and biblical rain hammered our convoy, which made for very steady progress over the Horseshoe Pass. The rain eased but not long after that we passed a pretty serious accident - not pretty.

A couple of laps of the Evo triangle in damp conditions - not my favourite stretch of Welsh tarmac, but iconic, then on to the Llanberis Pass in more rain. Snowdon was under significant cloud cover and the scenery was looking fantastically moody. We refuelled in Betws, taking over the forecourt, and after that everything started picking up - the weather, the roads and the pace!

The B4391 from Llan Festiniog to Penybontfawr has to be the best road I've ever driven - pure magic. After that it was Lake Vyrnwy in the sunshine, over Hellfire Pass and a final spirited run on the road to Aberystwyth.

Sunday was the Élan Valley and some fine roads in South Wales, finishing in Crickhowell before heading home. All in I think I covered 800 miles Friday to Sunday, and apart from a drone from the rear (suspected bearing), and the known gearbox issues, the car wasn't just faultless, it was epic!

Here's a few photos I've shamelessly pinched from others...

410D28B3-4465-4148-8324-40BA9CDEBF6B_zpsbjfvmsqp.jpg

C416168A-9669-4BA5-B335-FBBD8E75DD93_zpsejbyamsy.jpg

2ED8E16E-EB1B-4C05-A885-616DD7892112_zpsap3ejryc.jpg

047299BA-027A-4E67-A031-5A72004276AE_zpsqnmztmvm.jpg

A2CD7531-981C-4B3E-915C-57786B2B5F0B_zpsq7cg3t7h.jpg

5B41A547-BDE7-4D06-AB9D-4A0CF0ABDD5E_zpss6oruaxw.jpg

A9CBB884-C814-4029-A360-A47ED9E9E0CE_zpszhurq1jr.jpg

4C2541EB-F5D1-40ED-8A05-B3BF130ECD5C_zps5bnylxel.jpg

DBB29513-79F1-4165-B466-0EAC88598047_zpslybwspxq.jpg

6F113F0B-A300-4067-82A8-6E7BD90B93F3_zps4qs3vwjq.jpg

C55EEBAA-EFF4-4A97-9FAF-4AAE080B4AC1_zpsuwqad1ah.jpg

It was a superb trip attended by fantastic people and apart from a few minor hiccups on the whole it went very well, I just wish I could have seen people's faces as 12+ Trophys rolled through towns and villages - being at the front I missed it, but apparently it was quite amusing.

The car needs a bit of TLC over the coming months, and it's definitely going to get it, probably in readiness for another trip to Wales early next year - I can't get enough of the place! I'll post up another thread and see if we can get a good group of all different types of RS models next time - if you fancy it keep your eyes peeled.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I look forward to seeing T6 YDE again soon :) Lovely car and goes so well, too. Although that also has something to do with the guy behind the wheel :stig:

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Awesome shots Tim! Did you manage to fit that Alpine sub?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome shots Tim! Did you manage to fit that Alpine sub?
The sub went in and it's made such a difference. I've had big boxed subs before and I knew this was never going to compete with those levels of bass, but I couldn't be happier with what it does deliver, it just rounds everything off so nicely. I knew I had to have one when you demo'd yours, it's seriously impressive kit. I noticed you've doubled your quota - has it made a marked difference?

Many of the pictures I posted were courtesy of Andy, he captured the spirit of the weekend really well.
I look forward to seeing T6 YDE again soon
Speak of the devil! Thanks for being the official tour photographer (and route guru) ;) Any time I come to Wales I'll be sure to drop you a line, and likewise, if you're ever in my neck of the woods give me a shout. Always a pleasure.
Missing a flamer in the photos methinks 😂

Looks great fun and glad T6 YDE was hustling along. We need a catch up soon bud!
Flamers were not welcome - it was a racist weekend in celebration of capsicum pink. I'll keep you in the loop on the run out early next year, maybe the Micra or 330i would be a more appropriate choice? Whatever happens you're totally right, it's been ages so a catch-up is definitely in order.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
That's quite a show of Trophies @Tim. yours looks stunning in the earlier photos............. I'm guessing I would be hung, drawn and quartered if i brought mine down to such a celebration 🙈 !!

Yours does look spectacular mate, makes me think i should have restored it to standard and not race prepped it lol.............

upload_2015-10-4_21-44-50.png

A little cheeky photo of it just so it sits on the same page as the other 12, don't hate me LOL :smile::up:

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
That's quite a show of Trophies @Tim. yours looks stunning in the earlier photos............. I'm guessing I would be hung, drawn and quartered if i brought mine down to such a celebration 🙈 !!

Yours does look spectacular mate, makes me think i should have restored it to standard and not race prepped it lol.............

View attachment 137653

A little cheeky photo of it just so it sits on the same page as the other 12, don't hate me LOL :smile::up:
Not at all mate, I've been following your thread with interest and love the direction you've taken yours - track Clios are everywhere but a track Trophy, now that's special! You'd have been more than welcome.

Thanks for the kind words.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
December 2015 - 58,900

Winter sucks. I've driven less than 100 miles in the last few months and I hate leaving the car for so long but I have no motivation to drive it in these cold, dark and wet conditions when I don't have to.

Another reason I've been avoiding driving is because since Wales there's been an ever-increasing humming from the rear, turning into a pronounced drone of late. I figured it was time to place an order with George for OEM rear discs and pads, hub nuts and spacers and some replacement ATE brake fluid, and while I was there I picked up some new Brembo Max discs and Pagid RS4-2 'Blue' pads, which I've been keen to try for a while now - I've never been comfortable with the cold performance of DS2500s, which quite frankly have been scary on a couple of occasions.

The rear bearings were sorted today, courtesy of ARM Ltd in Newbury. My first visit there and it was a good one. When I got there Andy was working on his Sadev'd Tarmac rally special Mégane coupé with 182 engine and running gear, which has made a few appearances at recent FCSs - it looks very focussed! Lovely guy, knows his onions and I'll no doubt I'll be back there again.

The big service still needs scheduling early next year but I've had to shelve plans for a Quaife, PMS shifter and other extravagances given that we're expecting our second child in May

That leaves just about enough time for another trip to Wales... who's in?

M2 Comp
Congratulations @Tim. - that's great news, hope all goes well! :up:

Sounds like #455 is being well looked after as ever. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the RS4-2's as I'm looking to get a set myself.

As for Wales, count me in (if it's the second half of 2016). I was gutted to miss it this year, but my Trophy should be back on the road by May/June.

Glad you've had a good experience with Geordie! He's an awesome guy, got to know him very well over the passed year or so helping me out with my build left right and centre!

Did you see his 205 maxi there too?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Congratulations @Tim. - that's great news, hope all goes well! :up:

Sounds like #455 is being well looked after as ever. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the RS4-2's as I'm looking to get a set myself.

As for Wales, count me in (if it's the second half of 2016). I was gutted to miss it this year, but my Trophy should be back on the road by May/June.
Cheers Tommo
Glad you've had a good experience with Geordie! He's an awesome guy, got to know him very well over the passed year or so helping me out with my build left right and centre!

Did you see his 205 maxi there too?
It wasn't there but the other chap's Subaru was, albeit undercover. The 205 sounds proper.
Great news about the new arrival in May :smile: Congrats!
Cheers Andy!
Congrats on the new arrival bud.
Count me in for the second Wales trip! Gutted I missed the first one! :cry:
Thanks Rob.
Stallion! Congrats dude!
Ha ha, cheers JP.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
And if anyone's interested in a few days driving in Wales I'm planning on heading up on Friday 18th March, overnight in Llangollen, Saturday in North Wales finishing up with a night in Aberystwyth, then Sunday down to South Wales. Definitely no off-roading this time!!! Come along if you're free.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Massive congrats mate, i may well be up for this if the Spec C is back on the road.

Be great to stretch its legs. :smiley:

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
And if anyone's interested in a few days driving in Wales I'm planning on heading up on Friday, overnight in Llangollen, Saturday in North Wales finishing up with a night in Aberystwyth, then Sunday down to South Wales. Definitely no off-roading this time!!! Come along if you're free.
Date change to accommodate Mrs Original Boy Racer's birthday (@Pete.)

This will now be happening on the weekend of Friday 11th to Sunday 13th March 2016.

Accommodation will be booked before Christmas, which just leaves the route to plan, and whether to open it up to the masses or keep it fairly low-key.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
February 2016 - 59,200 miles

I've had the car nearly 5 years now and have done close to 18,000 miles. Back when I was deciding what to buy it was a toss-up between a Ford Racing Puma and the Trophy, and also in the mix was a Mini GP, and I had a good chat with an owner yesterday. I popped down to Sainsbury's, parked in my usual spot as far from the door as possible, and came back out to see this:

image1_zpsf8sozkld.jpg

The owner was a nice chap, flew to Edinburgh to buy the GP a couple of years ago and it's now on 23,000 miles - it looked properly nice! I'm still drawn to them and there are so many other cars I'd also love to own one day but to do so would mean selling the Trophy and that's just not something I'm prepared to consider, not for a while yet anyway.

So onto the update - it's been an expensive few months. A couple of months ago I just couldn't justify getting in on the Quaife group buy... one day. But for now I've been busy collecting the following parts:

Thanks to @JON FOZ for the lowered Recaro adapters - great to deal with, prompt delivery, very well packaged and they look like a good piece of kit - I'm looking forward to how they improve things.

IMG_0002_zpsha80j9gl.jpg

Thanks also to @George@RTR_Parts - as always George is an absolute pleasure to deal with as he helped me source some of the bits for a Brembo conversion. I originally got some Pagid RS4-2 (Blue) pads but decided to go for the four pots after seeing @- Fiona - 's last year, so the unused boxfresh Pagids will be up for sale at some point soon for whatever I paid for them, assuming I can find out what that was!

The other person to call out is @chris powell whose brackets look top quality - I put the order in around Christmas time and was kept updated with progress etc and they arrived safe & sound shortly after. So I've now got Brembo Max discs, Brembo OEM pads, a new set of pins with R-clips, mounting brackets and of course the callipers themselves, which are massive! They'll need machining to go under 15s - something I'm not prepared to move away from - so I'll get that done then it'll be ready to go on.

IMG_0003_zpskiamjucc.jpg

I'm off to Wales in a couple of weeks - here's hoping the weather is friendly, then when I return it's yet more expenditure as #455 will be due a big service including belts, water pump, dephaser etc etc etc. I'd like to take the opportunity to have a few bits powder coated too but I'm just not sure on a colour scheme for the engine bay. Tbc.

And finally, I popped down the road and met @Freeman13 to collect a set of Cup Turinis:

IMG_0007_zpsvcipc0do.jpg

Once again this forum delivers yet another really nice guy, thanks for the wheels Chris. I knew what condition they were in when I offered so they'll be getting a refurb in the coming months, again, whenever funds & time allows.

I'm looking forward to getting everything sorted so, touch wood I can go on to enjoy another 5 years of trouble-free driving.

Clio Trophy
looking really good, i fitted my mobius dash cam just behind the interior mirror, really hard to see, i never take mine out (maybe would if i went and parked somewhere really dodgy). let us know how the seat mounts go, i am still really tempted, but not sure still

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
No worries @Tim. , happy to help out with your brakes mate :up:. Cheers and keep up the good work with the Trophy , the Brembo 4pots will be a nice addition