ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Time for a track car, advice please

Afternoon all

Just a bit of advice, and I'm sure ill get all the same answers I've already read on the forum whilst mooching about, but would be grateful of some feedback.

Im looking for a clio as a track car (i know like every other man and his dog) and can't decide between a 172 cup or a 182.

I also know that its cheaper in the long run to buy a car thats already track prepped but I'm quite keen to do it myself and get that enjoyment too.

So 172 cup or 182?!

Answers on a postcard.

Cheers

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
For track car purposes, 172 cup.

In truth though, I'd just get whichever clio is in your budget, with good history etc They will all be a good base for a track car.

They do make good trackday cars :smile:

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Cup. Buy a 182 and your paying 1k over the odds for stuff you'll throw away or won't use. Aircon for example.
That saving Can be spent on mods

172 cup or ph1, whichever comes up for sale in the best condition. Definitely not worth buying a 182 though

172 cup.

* Cheaper to buy
* Less stuff to remove
* Bit tidier & more practical to work on due to no air con
* Much cheaper to do the cambelt than on a 182, if it's due
* Lighter in the first place
* Huge majority of parts are common between the 172/182 anyway

Cheers guys, thought that might be the answer that came back.

Right eyes peeled for a decent 172 cup then.

Buy the cheapest best condition car you can afford.

I dont think its going to matter too much if its sport or cup or 172 or 182 they all seem to pretty much be the same. Sure a sport is heavier but im sure you will probably remove half the stuff anyway and if you dont you'll just have a more comfy car on the journeys to and from.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Or if they are for sale, you could put them in the for sale section so he can see them for himself. That would mean no spam or 'I have some for sale'.

Funnily enough, it is the reason we have a for sale section for members.
Too busy buying more to write for sale threads, also they aren't ready and I'd prioritise any if they were of interest.

Can't win.. Chat get told to PM suggest PM and still get moaned at.. Like school this place.. [emoji30]

Mec 350 slk manual
Too busy buying more to write for sale threads, also they aren't ready and I'd prioritise any if they were of interest.

Can't win.. Chat get told to PM suggest PM and still get moaned at.. Like school this place.. [emoji30]
Put some pics up of your new addition

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
As already mentioned a Ph1 172 is a good option. That's what I have and its great fun. Plus its used as my daily drive.
If you get one with a good interior then you can sell that and make some money for other stuff.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
f9526196ec58d6e2c2368696a11f8b67.jpg

I love them..

mk1 Octavia VRS
My head knows that the 172 cup is the right choice, no air con, lighter etc. But just can't quite get away from the look of the 182. Especially in Gordini blue.

This is local ish to me http://www.gumtree.com/p/renault/clio-sport-182-cup-gordini-blue-2005/1088757524

Picture 8 on that gumtree ad screams of SCAM to me.

If you're on a budget then get a 172 cup. If you can't find a good one then widen the search to normal 172s/182s as well. Don't forget to look out for the normal things that apply to all 172/182s (think there is a buying guide somewhere on here).

For a track car you will probably want to budget for the following:
Full service inc correct NGK spark plugs if not been done recently
Good brake fluid, discs and uprated front pads
Better (non bus sized) steering wheel
Replacement shocks (and probably springs while you're at it)
Camber bolts and proper front camber/toe alignment
15" wheels with decent tyres

Reactions: Chi
Yeah after looking at the ad again it looks dodgy, especially as the price went up from 1800 to 2400 over night!!

I actually found myself a nicely specced 172 cup this morning which has been track prepped at a decent price. Deposit paid collect it next week when I'm back from Singapore. Happy days!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
What's the spec on the one you have bought?
What's a hero spec 172 go for?

Ill put a full spec up when i pick it up next week, but short spec, track prepped, rear cage, buckets, harnesses, momo wheel, new clutch, brakes, drive shafts, freshly powder coated wheels shod in brand new toyo proxes. 98k, belts done recently, really straight and well looked after example. £1800.