ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of selling the 172cup for a 182ff with cup packs??

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
100% Incorrect. The 172 Cup, Ph2 172 and all veriaties of 182 have exactly the same gearbox (except the cups has a speedo drive) and ratio's.

The ph1 172 has longer gearing, this had to be shortened to keep the ph2's the same 0-60 time due to the extra weight.
Didn't even work!

Clio 200 Black and White
I've read that the 182 had longer gearing than the PH2 172 - apparently it's even longer geared than the PH1 172.

Can anyone confirm this?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've read that the 182 had longer gearing than the PH2 172 - apparently it's even longer geared than the PH1 172.

Can anyone confirm this?
Only the ph1 has different gear ratios. There's no difference in pace between the ph2 172 and the 182. Power delivery is slightly different, end result is the same.

Clio 200 Black and White
Yeah, you're right, apart from cruise control, a superior hifi, new exhaust, slightly more power, better power delivery (greater area under the graph giving better real-world performance), stiffer anti-roll bars, lower stiffer springs, stronger hubs, cooler wheels, optional front and rear spoilers and different gearing (I say it again, it's different folks) Renault ripped all those silly 182 buyers right off.

Except, they didn't, they simply brought a new model out and charged the same as before (adjusted for inflation and prevailing market conditions of course).

Did own 172 Cup + 182FF
Had a 172 Cup, now a 182 with both cup packs. 172 Cup was definitely faster. Love the 182 interior compared to 172 Cup, but hate the traction control and ABS.

I've driven every variant of the Clio 172 and 182 except for the Trophy and 172 Cup is still my favourite. 182 FF is a very close 2nd though and both are a lot better than a 172 Phase 2 I reckon. All IMHO of course