ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of purchasing a Clio 1.5dci

Mk6 fiestaaaaaa
After owning my fiesta for just over 7months the petrol prices are starting to take its toll...so im thinking of switching over to a deisel thats a bit more sensible. Ive been looking at 1.4tdi polo's and the mk3? 1.5dci clios but im torn between them :( Im just wondering if any of you's have advice to pass on when looking for one and if there is any big common problems with the engines ect...

Cheers :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you ask potter88, he will recomend a Pheaton 5.0V10 Tdi, because he wants to save money and look good for the bitches.

F56 MINI Cooper S
really? depends if its a good one or not i suppose pherhaps you are talking about a frday afternoon one

Mk6 fiestaaaaaa
what fiesta do you have? what model?

Corsa D 1.3 cdti

I have a mk6 1.25 petrol. i drove a 58plate corsa cdti 1.3 and felt the turbo on it was non existant tbh. i liked everything about it but the prices too are a bit steep.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
I have a 2004 1.5 DCi 80(bhp) Clio. It is a great car.

I heard that the newer diesels are worse on economy though. I do a lot of town driving and the lowest mpg I have ever got was around 51mpg.

The highest I have had was filling up at junction 7 of the M6 and driving 140 miles up to Cumbria, I don't drive at 90mph, I am tight when it comes to cash lol, if you can bare driving at 60mph you can get just under 90mpg (if you get a free motorway & no stops)...

Please note this was taken by my mate and not me as I was driving!

283293_10150322130255928_568980927_9644676_2697991_n.jpg

That was with an average speed of 56mph.

Problems I have had, usual structural stuff but what you might get is the EGR Valve may need cleaning or even replacing, especially if you do a lot of short trips. I have become quite a pro at cleaning mine, petrol works best and getting the s**t off.

No other main problems apart from the usual rattles & leaking sunroofs that come with every french car.

It certainly isn't a boring car though, it loves to hug the road round the Lake District and can beat a fair amount of cars from the lights without anything tweeked engine wise.

Oh, and £20 per year tax always makes me smile ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Clio DCI is the cheapest car I've ever had. Cost me £1500 in two years on depreciation, and the lowest MPG I ever got was 30, and that was doing 2 back to back laps on the Nurburgring, with edde as it happens! Not one thing went wrong either and the car got absolutely leathered by me.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I've got the 65 bhp expression DCi.
Good little cars, with 160nm of torque it does have some low down grunt.
I took mine on a 220 mile trip and averaged 59mpg.
Mines £30 tax Which I love, nice not paying £245.

i have had two MK3 Dci's first was a dyanmique s 86 with a 5 speed box which was a brillant car,

then i moved on to the GT Dci 106 and is also mapped making around 135 Bhp with a 6 speed box, which i think is amazing handles great and its fun having a bit of boost pull makes a pigeon noise on the dump off,

i have had zero problems with either, i used to change the oil every 3500-4000 mile, and they both ran sweet as a nut

172 Ph1
I have a 2004 1.5 DCi 80(bhp) Clio. It is a great car.

I heard that the newer diesels are worse on economy though. I do a lot of town driving and the lowest mpg I have ever got was around 51mpg.

The highest I have had was filling up at junction 7 of the M6 and driving 140 miles up to Cumbria, I don't drive at 90mph, I am tight when it comes to cash lol, if you can bare driving at 60mph you can get just under 90mpg (if you get a free motorway & no stops)...

Please note this was taken by my mate and not me as I was driving!

283293_10150322130255928_568980927_9644676_2697991_n.jpg

Problems I have had, usual structural stuff but what you might get is the EGR Valve may need cleaning or even replacing, especially if you do a lot of short trips. I have become quite a pro at cleaning mine, petrol works best and getting the s**t off.

No other main problems apart from the usual rattles & leaking sunroofs that come with every french car.

It certainly isn't a boring car though, it loves to hug the road round the Lake District and can beat a fair amount of cars from the lights without anything tweeked engine wise.

Oh, and £20 per year tax always makes me smile ;)

Good that 88mpg
Best i ever had out of my 53plate was 77mpg same type of journey @60mph.
3ade329f.jpg

Very good cars. Cheap and nippy and all for £20 year road tax.

They are very economicla but thee Mk3 aren't as good extra weight etc to lug round I had one for a bit got about 40~45 adverage on the driving I was doing at the time the Mk2 65 would do about 50~55 with the same driving.

Lowest MPG though you can do about 30mpg is your eealy driving hard on track. Even driving at an adverage of over 100mph (Germany) I got 37mpg.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
After owning my fiesta for just over 7months the petrol prices are starting to take its toll...so im thinking of switching over to a deisel thats a bit more sensible. Ive been looking at 1.4tdi polo's and the mk3? 1.5dci clios but im torn between them :( Im just wondering if any of you's have advice to pass on when looking for one and if there is any big common problems with the engines ect...

Cheers :)

Seriously do your sums before you sell up.

What will you sell your car for compared to what you bought it for 7 months ago (hello depreciation, the forgotten part of motoring finances..) also what will the new car cost.

Unless you're doing 1 mile journeys with your foot in the carpet, you're going to be >40mpg in that thing, surely ? If not, learn how to drive ;)

A dCi will see 50+mpg most of the time. Again, if you're only doing 1 mile journeys with your foot in the carpet, it won't be much better than the fiesta.

How many miles a year do you do ?

Assume diesel is about 5% more expensive than petrol and you're getting 20% better economy .. you're only 15% up. If you're doing <10k a year, it's really not worth the bother.

Nothing at the mo :(
If you ask potter88, he will recomend a Pheaton 5.0V10 Tdi, because he wants to save money and look good for the b**ches.

Just read teh whole thread.. and this is the only thing that stuck in my mind while trying to read the posts

ROFLMAO!!!

i have had zero problems with either, i used to change the oil every 3500-4000 mile, and they both ran sweet as a nut
No need to change the oil that often ever 9k or so I did mine even when I was doing a few track days a few times a month (was using racing oils though). Won't hurt the enging just not going to realy help just hurts the wallet.

Seriously do your sums before you sell up.

Unless you're doing 1 mile journeys with your foot in the carpet, you're going to be >40mpg in that thing, surely ?
A dCi will see 50+mpg most of the time. Again, if you're only doing 1 mile journeys with your foot in the carpet, it won't be much better than the fiesta.

How many miles a year do you do ?

Assume diesel is about 5% more expensive than petrol and you're getting 20% better economy .. you're only 15% up. If you're doing <10k a year, it's really not worth the bother.
I agree you need to do the maths but petrol vs diesel the diesel should do about 50% more anyone who gets 40 from a 1.2 etc will get 55~60 from a diesel. If you want to work out the cost I recon on small cars the diesel is approx 4p a mile cheaper than a petrol to run so say 15k a year thats £600 then say £50 cheaper road tax over 3 years it can add up. Just a quick calculater cals shows my dci has saved over £7k in fuel vs a 1.2

Also diesel are usualy worth more so whilst there is a cost to chnage the diesel should be worth more.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
mk3 dci's are AWESOME!!!! my GT DCi 106 was the best car ive owned, the mk3s are worse on fuel as said above, they arnt much different when on a long run and the weight is moving, its more around town as your constantly accelerating and braking and hauling the weight about, however as much as the extra weight causes a drop in mpg it offers better build quality, a much much nicer place to be, a much more planted car. they are worth it over a mk2 imo!

im not sure on the lesser models 65 vs 68 and 80 vs 86 but i know the 100 vs the 106 doesnt feel any slower even with the weight as the stronger gearbox aloud them to give the car more torque 150lbft vs 180lbft (100 vs 106). the older 100's need revved (for a diesel) to keep them on the boil where the 106 pulls brilliant between 2000rpm and 3000rpm i rarely had mine over 3000rpm.

i had a mk3 dci86 the other day when my car was in getting serviced and it was VERY good around town, no turbo lag at all ment it felt genuinely quick! quicker than my 106 was around town as it was very laggy, but when shifting the 106 was quicker so depends what sort of driving you mostly do. dont think the bigger power always means better.

it offers better build quality, a much much nicer place to be, a much more planted car. they are worth it over a mk2 imo!

im not sure on the lesser models 65 vs 68 and 80 vs 86 but i know the 100 vs the 106 doesnt feel any slower even with the weight as the stronger gearbox aloud them to give the car more torque 150lbft vs 180lbft (100 vs 106). the older 100's need revved (for a diesel) to keep them on the boil where the 106 pulls brilliant between 2000rpm and 3000rpm i rarely had mine over 3000rpm.
Each to there own I don't like the Mk3 don't think the handling is as good as the Mk2 the Mk1 is even better depends what you want though.
The 100 has the problem that to get the power the turbo's a bit big so you need to rev it to get the power. The 80 is IMO the better engine and the better box.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
106 as far as i know uses the same turbo though? correct me if im wrong? just delivers its power much better than the 100 did. i got on quite well with the dci 100 box but i wouldnt say its any better or worse than a JC5, although i do prefer the hydraulic clutch setup with the linkage on top of the box rather than underneath, so the gearstick movement is massively reduced.

i agree the mk3's arnt as nimble as the mk2's were in the same way the mk2 wasnt as nimble as a mk1 was, but for daily driving i prefer the massive ammounts of grip and less twitchy-ness of the mk3, much easier to drive quickly when not in the mood for concentrating lol

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
as said, unless your doing over 15k a year then i'd look at a diesel.
im going to be up on 23k+ from next week, so a diesel is the sensible option for me. and the clio DCi ive got doing 60+ mpg is saving me loads.
so i dont mind putting performance aside atm

BMW M4; S1000 RR
as said, unless your doing over 15k a year then i'd look at a diesel.
im going to be up on 23k+ from next week, so a diesel is the sensible option for me. and the clio DCi ive got doing 60+ mpg is saving me loads.
so i dont mind putting performance aside atm

The whole "you have to do x amount of miles to make diesel worthwhile" thought train is quite frankly barmy.

As a complete package I think I preferred my DCI 80 to my 172. Obviously the 172 is twice as fast, but it's not exactly a rocket ship. Costs me about £60 for a tank of super unleaded in the 172, which gets me just over 300 miles. In the DCI these days it would cost more like £65, but I used to get at least 500 miles to a tank on the DCI (and that was hoofing it everywhere), driving steadily I'd sometimes get 800 miles to a tank. Mental, and certainly doesn't take long to see the difference. £30 tax for a year instead of £245 isn't to be sniffed at either.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
i loved the tax band, money saving difference going from my 172 to the DCi.

No need to change the oil that often ever 9k or so I did mine even when I was doing a few track days a few times a month (was using racing oils though). Won't hurt the enging just not going to realy help just hurts the wallet.

i know i used to go abit OTT but there was no harm in doing it, the book recomends change every 8k doesnt it ?, i have heard to many horror stories about old oil solidifying in turbos and breaking them, mainly on VAG, but dont quote me, im not a mechanic so it could be untrue

i know i used to go abit OTT but there was no harm in doing it, the book recomends change every 8k doesnt it ?, i have heard to many horror stories about old oil solidifying in turbos and breaking them, mainly on VAG, but dont quote me, im not a mechanic so it could be untrue
The rules were set by the emmisions standards the older engine had 18k service rules

The horror stories were for other engine the k9k doens't have the same issues,

Rusty Cup
My girlfriend wants a Dci 80!! can i ask what is considered high mileage on one of these? i see plenty that are 100k - 120k and im assuming they'll do close to twice this? yay or nay? cheers ta in advance (excluding the obligatory use the search posts)

My girlfriend wants a Dci 80!! can i ask what is considered high mileage on one of these? i see plenty that are 100k - 120k and im assuming they'll do close to twice this? yay or nay? cheers ta in advance (excluding the obligatory use the search posts)
High milage depends on loads injectors and pumps can be problems but theey can be on any car 80k is often a problem point.

Mind you mines on 147k and it had a very very hard life and there no problems relating to the milage. I was looking at a Megan 80 the other day 163k was fine no problems and thats moving a heavier car.

As for what they can do skys the limit realy I've heard of some 300k ones. but you have to think much over 150k even 200 the cars arn't worth much so often sold cheap and another low milage bought as its cheaper than any problems poping up. Also if your doing 200k they about 10 year old max so that 20k a year from new only people who do that constantly get paid often to do milaaes so won't have a car that long those that are paying themselves try not to heel the cars so long as there near worthless,

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I know of a mk3 Clio DCi on 205k and running like new.

Seem to see loads up on 150k+ with no problems.

Mines only just turned 90k on a 2003.
So it's got plenty of life in it. The cars going to save me a fortune as a daily.