ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinkin' of doing some trackdays at last-advices?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
After some years of ownership and some 2,5-3k spent on mods I thought it's about time to do some track days this year
car as it is now:
milltek cat back(had it from 2009 and it didn't crack so far-happy with it)
k-tec solid engine mounts + poly dogbone
Helix organic gr n clutch kit
k-tec solid top mounts
powerflex poly bush set
GAZ GHA coilies (I know everybody hates them lol)
eibach camber bolts- 1,5 front neg camber now
BMC CDA
Rs tuner remap
Brembo HC discs
Ferodo DS 2500 front pads
rear OE fresh discs and pads
16" ultras
car uses motul 300v for the past 2 years, now will switch to Gulf Competition (good offer on that at the moment)

I'm thinking at some 15" alloys and r888 as trackday wheels as many others
Or keeping the 16" ultras along with a cheaper tyre alternative such as the federal 595 rs-r?
Some guys ran these and while being satisfied with them they still felt sorry for not going the 888 route
and obviously re-bleed the brakes with DOT 5.1
Are braided lines really necessary for say a 20 min track session or the combo above is enough?
Any thoughts/ recommendations feel free to add
Thanks!

TTRS & V50
Personally, get some 15's, get some Toyo Proxies T1-R's from camskill, and have fun on track.

It's not about getting the best things and then doing a track day, will you benefit from using R888's on your first track day ?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I guess 20 mins of track action will eat t1r's. some friends went one month ago and felt sorry for going with street tyres
I may also get 15" federals if the 888 will be too expensive, for now I'm waiting for offers on them tyres

Suzuki Jimny
If you are going to be using it for a total of 20 minutes do you really need to spend loads of money on R888's? Seems odd.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Bad driving will destroy any tyres. With tuition you'll be able to put in fast laps without having to rape your tyres. I always come away with plenty of tread from trackdays and I'm only a reasonable driver. I'll be doing a trackday on p-zero neros tomorrow and I'll have no problems having a good fun day. Track day tyres are nice but unless your out to prove something the standard car on reasonable tyres is still a respectable weapon.

Put the money into tuition.
This^^^^

Honestly unless you are a driving god then tuition is the best money you can spend. It will save you money in the long run in tyre wear, damage etc.

I wouldn't bother changing anything that you have listed just go out and enjoy :) The car will be absolutely fine if you are just going out for 20 min sessions.

If you are set on changing the brake fluid then I wouldn't bother with 5.1 just go with a high boiling point DOT 4 as mentioned like RBF600 or 660 etc :)

Have fun and let us know how you get on!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
If you are going to be using it for a total of 20 minutes do you really need to spend loads of money on R888's? Seems odd.
There will be 5 sessions (20 mins each) so the stock rubbers will get some action.

Bad driving will destroy any tyres. With tuition you'll be able to put in fast laps without having to rape your tyres. I always come away with plenty of tread from trackdays and I'm only a reasonable driver. I'll be doing a trackday on p-zero neros tomorrow and I'll have no problems having a good fun day. Track day tyres are nice but unless your out to prove something the standard car on reasonable tyres is still a respectable weapon.

Of course this should be the normal thing to do but having the track 550 miles away(1100 in total) is hard to get proper driving lessons without spending a hell of a lot of money/year.
If I had the chance of having a race track nearby things would be different and I would've gone there even before spending money on the car
No doubt you can have fun with the std car but after 6 years of fast-road driving I thought it's time to go a little further- meaning a more track focused tyre package and some money invested into brakes, so I wouldn't feel sorry for going 1k+ miles away and not being prepared.
Budget is quite limited though and if the difference between the federals and the 888 will be huge I'll go for the rsr's

This^^^^

Honestly unless you are a driving god then tuition is the best money you can spend. It will save you money in the long run in tyre wear, damage etc.

I wouldn't bother changing anything that you have listed just go out and enjoy :) The car will be absolutely fine if you are just going out for 20 min sessions.

If you are set on changing the brake fluid then I wouldn't bother with 5.1 just go with a high boiling point DOT 4 as mentioned like RBF600 or 660 etc :)

Have fun and let us know how you get on!
thx for the dot fluid advice, I see there's no point in going for braided lines for now

53 Clio's & counting
For your first track day, run on your road tyres.

Nothing worse than running on a track ehich you have no experience, on wheels are tyres you don't know what they will be doing under the car.

Do one as your car is, get some tuition and it will be fine dude :)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Don't be suprised if you get hammered by a lesser car with a better driver. Fast road driving gives you no advantage at a track. The number of so called fast road drivers that turn up at motorsport events with well modded cars and go away empty handed.

Even if you only get 20mins tuition it will be better than anything else you can do. Ask if they offer it at the track your going to.

I did a soaking wet track day yesterday in a standard car and the only thing i moved over for was a megane trophy 265 that I assumed would be loads faster!

Most people have usually lost their ability concentrate properly before the standard car suffers brake fade and the tyres get too hot anyway. I use it as a good guide to take a break.

Don't be another money over talent there are way too many now.

Last edited:
  SG9 Forester STi
I got a half hour tuition when I had my first track day. It really is invaluable.

I still ruined my T1R's though :eek:.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I can ruin tyres if I push the car too hard and my driving loses the smoothness. I usually go as fast as I can while keeping it as smooth and fluid as I can and just see how it goes. We all get a bit excited but it's best to not run the car and yourself at 110 percent for too long as that's when things will go wrong.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Buy some part worn trackday type tyres fo a 15" rim, saves ruining your road tyres and saves spending fortunes on new 888s.

Your car sounds a good spec, you should have real fun on track :)

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
T1r's are fantastic on road but overheat to quickly on track so they wear fast maybe try the new toyo R1R it's a mix between the t1r and the r888

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Don't be suprised if you get hammered by a lesser car with a better driver. Fast road driving gives you no advantage at a track. The number of so called fast road drivers that turn up at motorsport events with well modded cars and go away empty handed.

Even if you only get 20mins tuition it will be better than anything else you can do. Ask if they offer it at the track your going to.

I did a soaking wet track day yesterday in a standard car and the only thing i moved over for was a megane trophy 265 that I assumed would be loads faster!

Most people have usually lost their ability concentrate properly before the standard car suffers brake fade and the tyres get too hot anyway. I use it as a good guide to take a break.

Don't be another money over talent there are way too many now.

I didn't had the chance of going on a track so far because it's far away over the border and also I had no one to go with :( so I invested the money in the car hoping I'll have the chance one day. If budget will allow I'll get some tuition if available also.
I already decided against r888's and will sell the 3 michelins and one ventus rs2 currently on the car and get RSR's or R1R's as road and occasional track days
thanks for advices to all anyway ;)

LY 172
What about Yokohama Advan Nevoa AD08's? Seem like a pretty good track day tyre. And a lot cheaper than 888's.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
don't know if I can get them at the same price as the federals..

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Sorry bud reading my posts back I've been a bit harsh. Didn't mean to sound such a tool but I can't stress enough how much more fun you'll have when someone with plenty of experience passes on some tips and advice to you as your doing it.

If you can't get tuition then take some time to build up speed in steps and experiment rather than going out and getting sucked into trying to keep up with faster machinery.

I hope you have as much fun as I did at my first track day!

Evo 5 RS
For your first track day, run on your road tyres.

Nothing worse than running on a track ehich you have no experience, on wheels are tyres you don't know what they will be doing under the car.

Do one as your car is, get some tuition and it will be fine dude :)

What he said ^

I'll be running P Zeros all year. Remember it's a track day not a race, you're out there to stretch your legs not set lap times

Impreza Wagon
Sorry to jump on the thread......Are you likely to use a set of road tyres in one track day? I'm planning on booking Bedford soon either AM or PM slot and was hoping I wouldn't need spare wheels.

Also do you get much tyre wear on the rears?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Not sure what Bedford is like as i can only comment on Oulton Park which ive done three times. Still on the same tyres (Hankook V12's) and they still have life left in them. Depends how you drive imo

Impreza Wagon
Looking at the Bedford layout it's a big track with plenty of corners so could eat tyres especially as it's my first proper track day. I'm hoping to take a friend along who's got plenty of experience for a bit of help tho. I might keep an eye out for some cheap 15" wheels in the mean time, thanks :)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
If you keep the laps down and don't load up the fronts too much by keeping it smooth and tidy they will be ok. It is easy to get excited on the day though and get all ragged which kills tyres very quickly.

If you're going to use road tyres then make sure than are at least half-worn otherwise you will likely suffer excess tread roll/wear and distortion. Nothing worse than driving on a newish road tyres on a trackday! You will also find accelerated tread wear. This is why dedicated track tyres are better as they withstand track driving better and can also wear better because of this.

Megane Diesel / 172
Did my first track day last Friday @ Castle Combe and loved it, the only thing I can add to all this is go at your own pace and get to know the track, the difference between my laps on the morning and last session enjoyment wise was immense!!

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Buy some part worn trackday type tyres fo a 15" rim, saves ruining your road tyres and saves spending fortunes on new 888s.

Your car sounds a good spec, you should have real fun on track :)

I agree with this! I got a set of free used semi slicks on some cheap 15" wheels and they barely showed signs of wear after the day. I also saved my road tyres from wear, so track tyres are a really good long term investment I'd say.

Also once you get the hang of sticky rubber it's immense, the car is so much more fun IMO as you aren't having to drive so conservatively.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
^hence why I initially wanted some dedicated track day rubbers, but for now I'll go for something in between, out here it's harder to get hold of some used 15" r888 or the like, so I'm getting something like the rsr/ad08/r1r, etc