ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thin wire going to alternator.

TrackCar & F30 330d
What is the thin wire that connects to the alternator for?

I've ditched all the standard loom so need to know if I need it or not.

Laguna sport tourer
I don't run the standard dash anymore. So do I still need it?

I have comepletly rewired the car you see. Is it just to send power to something?
the only difference if you leave it disconnected it won't start charging until the first time the car reaches say 2000rpm, then it will work fine until the car is stopped again. hope that makes sense (qualified electrician and engineer)

172 Race Car
Yes you need it.

Buy battery warning light from ebay.

Live one side of the light and the other side to the thin wire on alternator. Job done

Alternator creates earth path when not charging so light comes on. when charging gets 2 lives at back of battery light so light goes out.

172 Race Car
the only difference if you leave it disconnected it won't start charging until the first time the car reaches say 2000rpm, then it will work fine until the car is stopped again. hope that makes sense (qualified electrician and engineer)
This is true. Id always have a battery light tho as you wouldnt know if the aux belt had fallen off untill the engine cooks itself

Focus Tit Est & R26
Is it correct that this is just a single wire on this connection. Mine looks like it use to have two wires but one has been cut off and removed as there is a little green bit sticking out of the connector