ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

These are my car Symptoms...

I've been noticing on the way to work that my car feels quite 'juddery' in pretty much all gears except 5th... Also even when fully warm (been driving for 20 minutes+) I can be in first gear from the lights, pull away then when I let off the gas it seems like its engine braking ALOT! Then when putting it into 2nd the revs have dropped so much it 'clunks' into gear instead of being smooth...

I have a 172 dog bone mount on, A new engine mount on the left and also a new gearbox mount iirc (The one under the battery)

I've done a service (Spark plugs, oil - 10w40 and oil filter) and just before I reset my ECU by disconnecting battery (not sure why, just tryng everything possible)

Are these just general symptoms of a crappy french car lol or is it something I can do to fix?

Thanks

Last edited:
sorry yeh meant braking :approve:

Mine almost feels like the engine mounts might be lose or something; like the engine is moving more than it should... :(

Last edited:
  RS RIP
watertemp sensor

Engine has a limiter programmed in it for when running cold so it holds back when cold. I've read a lot about faulty watertemp sensors that can cause these sort of probs ; when ecu thinks engine is cold, it will hold back

try/change it and see what happens, Can't hurt. Seems very common problem these sensors

M

mini-valver

^^ Thats nothing to do with engine braking though. If it was the coolant temp sensor th car would run like crap and hesitate really bad with any load.

Bloor, check the MAP sensor on the left of the plenum. See if you can borrow a mates and plug it in. I had a similar thing when mine had cracked and started to leak.

Deja vu 182
watertemp sensor

Engine has a limiter programmed in it for when running cold so it holds back when cold. I've read a lot about faulty watertemp sensors that can cause these sort of probs ; when ecu thinks engine is cold, it will hold back

try/change it and see what happens, Can't hurt. Seems very common problem these sensors

Gotta agree , when driving both my 182 s when cold they were jerky on gear changes and felt like the engine was holding back . Any 1*2 owner will have noticed this for first minute or so . Obviously different engine s but principle stil the same . (Oh , diagnosing via internet forums is very hit and miss having not driven the car :))

OK Thanks for that. Are the ap sensors from teh 1*2s same for the dynamique? or will I have to find a 1.4 16v dynamique for it to work properley?

Storm Grey 200
^easy to get, but iirc its pretty pricey £130+, might be worth trying one off someone elses car first?

M

mini-valver

Borrow one or get one from a scrappy mate. Its the domino shaped sensor that pushes into the left had side of the plenum!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
What spark plugs did you use, pretty sure if you use anything other than the orginal ones they can cause probs?

Nissan 350z
I've been noticing on the way to work that my car feels quite 'juddery' in pretty much all gears except 5th... Also even when fully warm (been driving for 20 minutes+) I can be in first gear from the lights, pull away then when I let off the gas it seems like its engine braking ALOT! Then when putting it into 2nd the revs have dropped so much it 'clunks' into gear instead of being smooth...

I have a 172 dog bone mount on, A new engine mount on the left and also a new gearbox mount iirc (The one under the battery)

I've done a service (Spark plugs, oil - 10w40 and oil filter) and just before I reset my ECU by disconnecting battery (not sure why, just tryng everything possible)

Are these just general symptoms of a crappy french car lol or is it something I can do to fix?

Thanks

Im beginging to think its just a french car thing.

When im pulling off from standing in the mornings and changing up the gears the car makes me jerk in my seat it engine brakes so hard. If i lift my foot from the accelerator in 5th it even pulls the car to the right thanks to engine braking lol! Scary stuff! :)

RS RIP
Im beginging to think its just a french car thing.

When im pulling off from standing in the mornings and changing up the gears the car makes me jerk in my seat it engine brakes so hard. If i lift my foot from the accelerator in 5th it even pulls the car to the right thanks to engine braking lol! Scary stuff! :)

yeah, but watch the watertempgauge next time round. Once this goes up the first time, the car will all of a sudden run fine !?

therefore; check the watertempsensor !

Ok I have a few more things I've noticed, my temp needle never gets to half way (which is where I remember it being when my car drove fine) but I would say this is 99.9% down to it being winter.

The other things is my coolent level was almost on minimum about 2 weeks ago when I changed oil/spark plugs so I topped it up with water to MAX and when I checked again today it had gone down about a 1/4...

My mate said this could be the gasket leaking water into my oil so that could be fooked :(

...Also the spark plugs (Champion) I put in have made a nice difference to how my car starts now and even accellerates, the engine feels like it wants to rev now. The old spark plugs I took out where also champion so unless these are the same as the ones Reno sell I don't see any problem using different SPs

Nissan 350z
yeah, but watch the watertempgauge next time round. Once this goes up the first time, the car will all of a sudden run fine !?

therefore; check the watertempsensor !

You make a good point. But surely the fact my watertemp gauge does increase at some point means its not faulty?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i also had a problem where when i took my foot off the acelerator the car jumped as if the engine mounts were gone/loose but they were brand new, turned out to be a shafted driveshaft (it hadnt been making any clunks or noises)

i also had a problem where when i took my foot off the acelerator the car jumped as if the engine mounts were gone/loose but they were brand new, turned out to be a shafted driveshaft (it hadnt been making any clunks or noises)

....hmmmm, don't say that! lol :dapprove:

I did notice also when I left my car running whilst talking to someone it had got up to half way and seemed to run fine through the gears but I still have the problem of my coolent fluid level going down... after only a week aswell :(

Megane Trophy, Golf
Champion are poor plugs! your better off with the OEM NGK ones! check to see what your plugs look like ie:- are they carboned up! and also check your HT leads. The mounts are like elastic band rubber and when engine is not running correct the drop in revs will feel like a juddering/jerking due to this. With regards to your loss of coolant id check your hoses first and check your oil for mayo like substances. :)

waterpump possibly leaking, u had the cambelt done and not the pump? what year and millage is the car

Its 03 plate and done 31k so not had a hard life lol

Champion are poor plugs! your better off with the OEM NGK ones! check to see what your plugs look like ie:- are they carboned up! and also check your HT leads. The mounts are like elastic band rubber and when engine is not running correct the drop in revs will feel like a juddering/jerking due to this. With regards to your loss of coolant id check your hoses first and check your oil for mayo like substances. :)

When you say check your HT leads lol what exactly am I checking for? I did check my old plugs and remember them looking alright apart from 2 of them where abit black on the tips.... I've got a 162 dogbone mount on aswell which dramatically reduced the gearstick wobble and engine movement but it seems to be almost the same as it was when I got the car... :(

Will check my oil aswell, where are the best places to check it? Just with the dipstick or do you mean around the gasket?

BMW M135i
You haven't got HT leads as the K4J runs individual coils so theres something less to worry about. Although the coil packs die for fun mind and may be had it by now.

Coolant wise its got to be going somewhere, check all the hoses where they join things for leaks/white furr from evapourated coolant. Doubt its HGF, as long as theres no mayo present on the dipstick/under the filler then discount that its not a common thing.

Has it had a cambelt by now dude?

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
I think whoever suggested it was the temp sensor is spot on. These issues sound about right if the car was cold as most clio's have poor cold running responses, but if yours is doing it when hot, then I would say it was the temp sensor also.

The reading on my car for water temp NEVER changes (once warmed) regardless of the weather and if you think about it, it shouldn't change really as its regulated over a certain temp point. It should always sit half way and if its reading less now, its reading cold which indicates again a dodgy temp sensor.

Get it changed and thank us later.

RS RIP
^^ yep.. my car's engine is a terrible drive at cold, holds back loads untill the first time my cauge goes up. I can really set my clock to it, always the same.

BUT now after reading his waterlevel went down after filling up i'm thinking worse problems..

You haven't got HT leads as the K4J runs individual coils so theres something less to worry about. Although the coil packs die for fun mind and may be had it by now.

Coolant wise its got to be going somewhere, check all the hoses where they join things for leaks/white furr from evapourated coolant. Doubt its HGF, as long as theres no mayo present on the dipstick/under the filler then discount that its not a common thing.

Has it had a cambelt by now dude?

How could I tell for definate if the coil pack has died? Rather than splash out on one and allow Renault to have a nice xmas with my money!

Will check dipstick and all the hoses later on when I get home from work and see what I can find...

I think whoever suggested it was the temp sensor is spot on. These issues sound about right if the car was cold as most clio's have poor cold running responses, but if yours is doing it when hot, then I would say it was the temp sensor also.

The reading on my car for water temp NEVER changes (once warmed) regardless of the weather and if you think about it, it shouldn't change really as its regulated over a certain temp point. It should always sit half way and if its reading less now, its reading cold which indicates again a dodgy temp sensor.

Get it changed and thank us later.

So should I scrap the problem being caused by a faulty MAP sensor now and get a new temp sensor? you wouldn't happen to know the price of one would you and also where abouts it is and how to get it off lol

^^ yep.. my car's engine is a terrible drive at cold, holds back loads untill the first time my cauge goes up. I can really set my clock to it, always the same.

BUT now after reading his waterlevel went down after filling up i'm thinking worse problems..

worse usually = expensive right.... :dapprove:

Thanks for all the help! :approve:

Just a quick update, the car stangely has been ok for the past 2 days but today idea was really low when I started it up this morning (-3!) and whole car felt like it wanted to cut out, was very lumpy driving to work and wasn't as bad once temp needle moved, on way home was the same and this is where my temp needle sat about 30 mintes drive just before I pulled into my road...

Image220.gif

Going to order a water temp sensor when I get some time, work is killing me atm...

RS RIP
^^ any news ??

ps; when the thermostat (this is'nt the temp-sensor , or??) is broken and keeps the system "open" the temp will never go up enough.. I had this on another car.

Last edited:
^^ any news ??

ps; when the thermostat (this is'nt the temp-sensor , or??) is broken and keeps the system "open" the temp will never go up enough.. I had this on another car.

what do you mean mate, you confused me abit then! lol

No news as of yet, ordering the sensor 2night.

Skoda Fabia vRS
if your car is on individual pencil coils, these would be my first bet, we sell them by the bucket load !

M

mini-valver

Stick one in you ass, if you get a shock, its ok.

Actually, better to just unplug the wiring to each one, one at a time when the engine is running. When you hear a change in engine note (It'll start to run like crap) replace the wirirng and go to the next one. If you find one that makes no difference to the running, it's broke.

M

mini-valver

Stick one in you ass, if you get a shock, its ok.

Actually, better to just unplug the wiring to each one, one at a time when the engine is running. When you hear a change in engine note (It'll start to run like crap) replace the wirirng and go to the next one. If you find one that makes no difference to the running, it's broke.

RS RIP
what do you mean mate, you confused me abit then! lol

No news as of yet, ordering the sensor 2night.

:quiet: haha ; well i meant that an open thermostat (some sort of valve in the coolingsystem reacting on watertemp) will keep the water in the system running all the time because it's stuck in open position + temp will stay low that way.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
try NGK platinum plugs, they are superb. i've got a set in mine. also chesk the plug leads are totally dry inside the coils.Theres a tendency for condensation to get trapped inside them. A tweak to avoid the damp being trapped is to make small V grooves in the sealing rings on the outside of the pencil coils to allow any damp to evaporate. also give them a good soaking of WD 40 before putting them back on the plugs. The other thing to look for is tracking across the leads if they are getting old. This will cause it to hold back. Demon Tweeks do performance leads that are reasonably priced, lot less than renault.