ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The XBox One Thread

Ph 1 172
The graphics looks s**t on that Spider-Man game looks like a xbox 360 game from 5-6 years ago not worth the £49.99 from what I can see

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
This thing about stopping the pay barrier for streaming apps... does this include 4oD etc. as well? Also, what does the Xbox One have now out of iPlayer/ITV Player/4oD/Demand 5? Thanks,

Ph 1 172
Anyone playing Assassins Creed IV?

Its great!!

But Im childish so mucking around in the Caribbean playing pirates I find fun

Yeah I have played it a bit but I never get any story done as I just go around blowing boats out of the water lol... Its good but its so big that I find it hard to keep the story line flowing....although that may just be me

dk

911 GTS Cab
Developers are heading to twitter to show their annoyance with ms for this kinect move, there's talk that it's too expensive for ms and was the reason sony didn't go down that route, now ms are realising that.

another theory out there is that without kinect, the xbox will have more power, as it reserves power for kinect and the kinect os, so I wonder what they want more power for.......

i also read that they will now develop the system to be controlled by a single controller, which confuses me as I'm not aware of any functions that require kinect and can't be done with the controller currently.

Ph 1 172
So if they new consoles without kinect are more powerful does that mean that the original day 1 editions will get a patch so that if you unplug your kinect it will have increased power do you think? And will it make that much of difference that the people with kinect will simple unplug the kinect and download the patch for there xbox to use it without kinect?

also in one of those links it says the console will be redesigned for just complete use of a controller, so what is going to happen for the interface with kinect?

to me this seems like microsft are just f**king about with the big xbox fans that went straight out and bought an xbox one, I'm not too happy about the release to be honest as if was looking forward to some serious kinect games. Is it time to get shot of it and get a ps4 I wonder

BMW M4; S1000 RR
So if they new consoles without kinect are more powerful does that mean that the original day 1 editions will get a patch so that if you unplug your kinect it will have increased power do you think? And will it make that much of difference that the people with kinect will simple unplug the kinect and download the patch for there xbox to use it without kinect?

also in one of those links it says the console will be redesigned for just complete use of a controller, so what is going to happen for the interface with kinect?

to me this seems like microsft are just f**king about with the big xbox fans that went straight out and bought an xbox one, I'm not too happy about the release to be honest as if was looking forward to some serious kinect games. Is it time to get shot of it and get a ps4 I wonder

Ironically from what you say I feel the opposite. I am an xbox fan that had no intention of buying a console with less power on tap than the competition due to 3 OS running in the background. Now kinect isn't mandatory and no doubt the one without kinect should be cheaper maybe I'll be tempted to take a punt. I still don't think the games are there though.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A 'patch' as such isn't really needed. The Kinect had a percentage reservation of the system's overall processing capability purely for it's own needs; and this can be tapped into by developers if needed (obviously at the expense of reduced or zero Kinect utilisation). Prior to Microsoft announcing the Kinect-less XBOne talks were already under way with regards to allowing developers to make use of that reserved power for games instead.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Next they'll be saying you shouldn't plug your satellite/cable box into it as that uses valuable power, and slowly but surely it'll turn from the promised one box does everything entertainment hub into what it should have been in the first place, a games machine!

the xbox 180 is on the horizon!

Cup, Lude & Z
I have owned a one for just over 2 weeks now, I wasn't originally going to buy one till it's game library had expanded but the price was too good to turn down. I really do feel for the day one buyers, who bought into it all and now have to watch MS back track in many ways.

If they do 'patch it' so Kinect can be unplugged to provide more power, I hope they give a menu option to turn it on/off, as opposed to physically having to take it out.

The reason is I use Kinect, but if I could switch it off 90% of the time to gain more power/better res, I'd do it. But don't want it unplugged as such.

1.8 Civic EX
I have owned a one for just over 2 weeks now, I wasn't originally going to buy one till it's game library had expanded but the price was too good to turn down. I really do feel for the day one buyers, who bought into it all and now have to watch MS back track in many ways.

I've had mine since day one and to be honest it really doesn't bother me. Are the changes going to make it a better machine? Yes. Then it's all good. I don't really see it as backtracking because all the messages around launch time of what will/won't be included got so messed up anyway, anything now is a bonus.

The only thing I don't like is all this no Kinect business. Just feels like ms have given up on it already so any Kinect games are just going to end up being arcade jobs like on the 360 rather than big hitting premium games. It's a shame as for a piece of tech it's pretty good.

Microsoft have not given up on Kinect. The option is being given to purchase the console without one because feedback was that people wanted the option.

Few quotes from this forum for example.

Kinect can FO.
I still think they need one without the Kinect b****cks!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, if you are purely gaming and don't want to interact via voice or motion then Kinect is likely to be a limited experience. Some find it useful, some don't. There is now a choice. Is that really a bad thing?

1.8 Civic EX
Having the choice is no bad thing from a consumer point of view, as there is the demand for it to a certain extent.

The problem is the games that are going to be developed. Now they know that not everyone will have a kinect so making a game that is solely played via the use of kinect is not going to get as many sales.

Imagine if a follow up to the recent Tomb Raider was made that was to be fully kinect compatible, running, shooting, climbing, jumping etc it could be pretty awesome but now it just won't happen. Therefore Kinect will loose it's "importance" and become a fad/gimmick that is rarely used other than the usual sport/dancing type games that it is already used for. It's a big shame imo.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Having the choice is no bad thing from a consumer point of view, as there is the demand for it to a certain extent.

The problem is the games that are going to be developed. Now they know that not everyone will have a kinect so making a game that is solely played via the use of kinect is not going to get as many sales.

Imagine if a follow up to the recent Tomb Raider was made that was to be fully kinect compatible, running, shooting, climbing, jumping etc it could be pretty awesome but now it just won't happen. Therefore Kinect will loose it's "importance" and become a fad/gimmick that is rarely used other than the usual sport/dancing type games that it is already used for. It's a big shame imo.
nail on the head, MS is giving up on kinect for this reason, i bet its a lot more expensive, time consuming and challenging making a kinect engrossed game, and when everyone had one, that meant you had the full xbox one ownership able to purchase and play the game, now theres an option not to have it, your potential customer base has immediately decreased, whereas every system has a controller pad....

Also, didn't MS say that every game had to support it in some way at one point?

When we were being sold the whole kinect thing, we were seeing vids of families sitting down and playing racing games without any controllers, has this even happened yet?

Cupra
When we were being sold the whole kinect thing, we were seeing vids of families sitting down and playing racing games without any controllers, has this even happened yet?

Not the whole family, but I was racing my son on a Jet ski the other night... then climbing up a wall, then playing tennis and bowling. It's a great laugh and works well. Admittedly, it's a niche market, and not something that gets played as much as Lego Marvel, Skylanders & Forza in our house, but it is still fun.

Clio MK3
anyone know why I'm not getting any notification when my friends come online with xbox one? My friends all seem to get a notification when myself or other people come online, but I do not?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member

Would seriously run/jump/climb about in your living room to play a game? Seriously?

Anyone who would needs their head testing imo.

1.8 Civic EX
For sure, I did with the 360 so I will with the one.

I really liked the wii when it first came out, then I realised that you could play all the games with a simple flick of the wrist, the full motion wasn't required to get the desired result. With Kinect there is no cheating, you have to do the move. I appreciate I'm in the minority and I'm not saying all games should be played like it, I just think it's a great piece of tech that has huge potential that isn't going to get realised because people can't get over the idea of physically moving to play a game, they'd rather just sit down thumb twiddling.

i personally think anyone that comments on it being daft/stupid etc should really give it a go. You might surprise yourself.

Ph 1 172
For sure, I did with the 360 so I will with the one.

I really liked the wii when it first came out, then I realised that you could play all the games with a simple flick of the wrist, the full motion wasn't required to get the desired result. With Kinect there is no cheating, you have to do the move. I appreciate I'm in the minority and I'm not saying all games should be played like it, I just think it's a great piece of tech that has huge potential that isn't going to get realised because people can't get over the idea of physically moving to play a game, they'd rather just sit down thumb twiddling.

i personally think anyone that comments on it being daft/stupid etc should really give it a go. You might surprise yourself.

+1

if Microsoft would grow some balls the tech would stand a chance. I personally love kinect... Gunstringer on xbox 360 was great. And steel battalion game where you are in a tank and you control everything.

1.8 Civic EX
If your on the "testers" (i forget what MS call it) like me @Scutch you get the updates early so will be on newer version.

You can chage the notifications in the settings somewhere, turn them all off, only for new messages, online notifications for only those in your favourites list etc.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Bought one last night. £449 in Game with COD, Forza, extra controller and an xbox plug and play kit.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Updated my Xbox One yesterday and oh my its brilliant!

The OneGuide is excellent!! I really thought it would kinda suck, but the intuitive implementation is freaking insane!!! I can now fully control my SkyHD box with voice. I just say "Xbox watch Sky News" or "Xbox watch BBC1" and BAM it changes the channel! It now even switches on my Sky box when I say Xbox On!

The SmartGlass app also got an update so now I use my iPhone to control my TV volume AND my Skybox! You literally have a virtual all-in-one remote on your phone which controls everything! You can even control the Sky menus!

Oh and the update also includes support for External HDD's now so woop!! Epic update is epic!

1.8 Civic EX
Is that what the 1.7GB download was for?

Da Fuq? It was only 297mb on my machine lol

Dont think mine has updated?! Is there a manual way.

Also - games for gold isnt advertised on mine but if I search for the games they are free.

Yeah you need to force the update, not sure why as mine was automatic, but my mate had to force his too. You should have a pannel on the right that says something like "we are making changes" or "you asked, we listened". Something along those lines. Click on it and it will show you how to do the update.

I think it's bassically go into settings, then console info(?) then there is an update console option at the bottom of the screen.