ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Evo 5 RS
So @Silent_Scone ... got your order in for Skylake XCC yet? 28 cores / 56 threads, hexa-channel memory. Aimed at 'desktop' users. I daresay X299 won't be able to support it hence a new platform and an incredibly steep price tag!

I've actually known about this awhile, Intel approached parties asking them to make a prototype board. I'm not sure it's on the same chipset, no

And no I don't care for it. It's going to be mega expensive.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
2700X or 8700K?

Gonna finally build the wee man a PC (He's getting my 6700K) so looking at either of these CPUs for my rig.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

Cheers. Jumped the gun and ordered one this afternoon ?

Bit will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to get it together now. Managed to get a good deal on a 4 month old EVGA 1080 FTW off of some old guy on Gumtree which I collected on the way home from work. Just need a mouse and an SSD and the wee man's PC bits will be assembled for construction.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
What is it on an Asus board that I need to turn off to stop the board automatically upping the voltage as I up the core clock?

Evo 5 RS
Those are the auto rules. If you're overclocking it then you want to be setting the voltage manually either using manual or adaptive voltage.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
With manual the voltage says the same regardless of clock speed but adaptive goes up and down as the clock goes up and down? So adaptive would be best if you can get it to work?

Evo 5 RS
Yes, manual is a 'fixed' voltage. Adaptive allows you to utilise idle power states. Set the additional turbo voltage field to your desired total voltage. This means the CPU will use the stock VID table for all non-turbo ratios.

Just be aware that to use true adaptive, it's not possible to set the total voltage lower than the minimum VID for a given ratio (which is predetermined by Intel and differs from each sample). To lower it further, you'd need to set a negative offset, however this applies to the entire VID stack which means it also affects idle voltage, too.

F82 M4
Still got this spare PC knocking about. Anyone want for £250 posted? Slap a GPU in it and it's a sound gaming machine.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Both PCs are now up and running. Mine of right my boy's on the left:

28804209058_b629493a42_b.jpg

Of course there a wee things needed to finish his setup off. Namely another SSD as I only got him a 250Gb one to get it up and running. As long as theres space for Fortnite and Forza Horizon 3 he'll be happy. I still have my old Acer Predator 27" 1440P monitor in the garage so will get that setup when I can be bothered. A mouse pad is also essential.

His PC is a 6700K with EVGA 1080 FTW and mine is now a 8700K with Asus 1080 Ti STRIX so should last us for a number of years to come. Dead chuffed I must say. Can't wait to see his wee face.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Got a strange thing happening on my PC now. When I start it up and press DELETE to get into the BIOS my monitor stops displaying anything. It shows no signal.

@N0ddie - that's a strange issue. Are you running the Acer Predator monitor? That's what I'm using and I have no issues whatsoever when going into the UEFI BIOS.

Managed to finally get to the bottom of this. When I bought the 34" monitor I just reused the display port cable that I had installed into my 27" monitor. Fired the PC up and pressed DELETE to get into BIOS and the same thing happened on the new monitor.

Swapped over to the DP cable that's included with the monitor, tried again and it worked. So looks like the short Maplin's DP cable was the issue. The 27" that is now being used by my son is working ok also since swapping to its included DP cable.

Strange how it worked for a long time then stopped working for BIOS only.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I have issues with my current DP cable deciding to come loose every now and then, need to replace it. Like it'll blip the DP on and off, and that's about the only side effect

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I have issues with my current DP cable deciding to come loose every now and then, need to replace it. Like it'll blip the DP on and off, and that's about the only side effect

I've had this too. Had me bricking it that my monitor and or gfx card was dying but since swapping the cable it's been fine!

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
That's insane. I wonder how many end up on ebay lol. AMD really need to dig the finger out in the GPU market. The grasp Intel has at the moment is crazy.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Considering my next upgrade.

I've been running my current PC since the end of 2012 so it's done really well, all it's had upgraded is an extra 8Gb of RAM to take it up to 16Gb and a graphics card upgrade.

Spec is:
i5 3570K quad core running at 4.5Ghz (stock 3.3)
GTX 970 4Gb
16Gb RAM
500Gb SSD

Generally I've been really happy with it, what I tend to do is buy a decent machine to begin with and then change out the graphics card when the time comes before moving onto a whole new setup and sell the old machine.

This time round I'm wondering if the CPU is actually going to start being a major bottleneck for gaming or if it is worth going one more generation on the graphics card before upgrading the whole rig - I'm thinking of going to a 1070 or 1070Ti.

Benchmarks on the i5 still make it look like a pretty decent mid-range CPU even without the overclock, but I'm not sure if I'd be better cutting my losses at this point and going for a whole new setup or not.

Any thoughts?

BTW this was overclocked out of the box by the supplier and has never missed a beat, I've been properly impressed with how it's held together. I've just doomed it, haven't I?

Last edited:

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Not go for a 1080 instead of a 1070?

I assume gaming is at 1080P? Computer purely for gaming and not other productivity tasks?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
1440p at the moment - if I went 1070/1070 Ti it would be the last GFX card upgrade for this setup, would probably go 4K next time. The 1080 seems to still be quite expensive compared to the 1070 and I'm not sure I need the extra grunt for 1440p - all the more if the CPU is going to be a bottleneck.

80% gaming, 20% web surfing / general office productivity stuff / video editing

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
They say that the 1070 is the card for 1440P but if you want 1440P at anything above 100FPS with everything "ultra" a 1080 is required. Then if going 1440P ultra wide you need a Ti to stay at 100 FPS.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@charltjr - yes, I'd be looking to upgrade the CPU personally. Do you have a budget in mind? The Intel i7 8700K perhaps? Or maybe the more mainstream i5 8600K as the focus is on gaming...? I'm an Intel guy hence my bias. The AMD Ryzen series may offer what you need though, potentially for less money.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I'll probably stick where I am for a while and then just shell out for a whole new machine, I'm just not sure how worthwhile it is upgrading on top of this platform much further, the motherboard is seven/eight year old tech now.

It can still cope fine with what I'm doing now, plays stuff like Sniper Elite 4 and Dishonoured 2 absolutely perfectly with high detail settings, but I look at Just Cause 4 (for example) and I know it's going to start to choke on that unless I turn the detail down - may as well have a console if I'm going to do that :)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I'd go GPU (For extra pretties) as your CPU is still capable of reasonable FPS. I'm currently playing Sea of Thieves on our PC and on Ultra @ 3440x1440 the GPU is running between 85 and 95% @ 100 FPS.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I've a x5930k at the minute and my last 4 CPU's have been Intel but I think if I was building a new rig it would be hard to ignore the Rizen performance - £ ratio.

I had a 3570k previously and when I changed to a x5930k I honestly didn't notice much difference. The biggest differences came from a M2 SSD instead of my sata ones and 32GB of DDR4. I also didn't see much of an upgrade from a Gigabyte G1 970 4gb to a G1 1070 8gb. It gave me an extra 10-20FPS in PUBG but it wasn't noticeable tbh.

Nvidia are releasing the 11xx cards shortly, hopefully means the 1080/1080ti will drop in price.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I was very nearly in trouble. Found a system with this spec:
i7 7700K overclocked to 4.8 ghz
GTX 1080
16gb 2400 ram
256 M2 SSD & 4Gb HDD
Asus ROG STRIX Z270H motherboard
Watercooled

It’s a “scratch and dent” refurb job with 12 month warranty because of a small crack in the front of the case.

£1300

Reckon I could get a few hundred back for my current system as it’s still plenty pokey for most people. The man maths was strong!

Then I remembered I'm still paying back the car parts I bought for the track day slag, so not only do I not have £1300, I actually have debt to clear.

<sigh>

I hate reality :D

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Must...... resist................

The wife would actually kill me, and with good reason, we're about to spend a chunk of her savings on doing the house up. If a new PC arrives, that's going to be..... challenging..... to explain :D

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Must...... resist................

The wife would actually kill me, and with good reason, we're about to spend a chunk of her savings on doing the house up. If a new PC arrives, that's going to be..... challenging..... to explain :D

I’ve still got plenty of Dominator RAM going cheap.. ;)

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
They reduced it to £860 overnight. I just bought it.

By the time I’ve sold my existing machine that’s going to work pretty much the same as me just going out and buying a 1080.

Man maths always wins.

Maybe the OH won’t notice the big black box under my desk has suddenly become a big white box. Maybe. Gulp.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking? That was cheaper than buying the parts separately.