ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Can anyone recommend a good phone for pics? Currently on the iPhone 7 Plus! So abit behind!

I’ve just got the Nokia 8.3 for the partner, but bloody hell it’s complicated! I’d still have one but reviews for pics aren’t great. Cheers!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Can anyone recommend a good phone for pics? Currently on the iPhone 7 Plus! So abit behind!

I’ve just got the Nokia 8.3 for the partner, but bloody hell it’s complicated! I’d still have one but reviews for pics aren’t great. Cheers!
Do you need to stay with Apple?

current best.

iPhone 12 pro
Note 20 ultra
Pixel range 5 and 4a

those are the camera kings. Pixel don’t do video as well as the other 2.

if you stay apple and don’t want to spend another fortune, maybe an 11 pro?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

It's entirely subjective.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's entirely subjective.

I do get the test but you only have to watch the awards to see what is the best camera system and takes the most consistent in the most scenarios. That's why the big boys always rise. The pocco phone won it also!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I do get the test but you only have to watch the awards to see what is the best camera system and takes the most consistent in the most scenarios. That's why the big boys always rise. The pocco phone won it also!
99.9% of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any of the decent ones. Nothing wrong with buying the best, but kidding ourselves if we believe it makes a massive difference (or any to most people) to the end product.

Especially once an image has been edited, posted on social media etc.

BMW E63 and an E36
Has anyone gone to the pixel 5? I'm still very tempted I need to replace my one plus 6, but it still does everything so well for me, the only issue is storage (being 64GB) and the fact you have to now re-seat the power cable about 8 times to get it to charge at all.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cloud storage should help you there. It will be a fantastic phone, screen is too small for me. What about upping the storage and go for a 4a?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
99.9% of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any of the decent ones. Nothing wrong with buying the best, but kidding ourselves if we believe it makes a massive difference (or any to most people) to the end product.

Especially once an image has been edited, posted on social media etc.
I’m assuming it’s to take pictures of the cats and most likely cars like me. Having a good camera on a phone is number 1 for me. Always. And I can tell the difference. Especially say between an XR and my note 10+

BMW E63 and an E36
Cloud storage should help you there. It will be a fantastic phone, screen is too small for me. What about upping the storage and go for a 4a?

I'm so picky, because I'll keep it for ages, that is definitely worth having a look at :)

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Is the S20 FE much better than an S9+?

I can upgrade to the S20 for £30 a month, or I can just get a SIM only for £8 a month. I'm leaning towards SIM-only because the S9 is still fine and it seems like innovation in the phone market is stagnant? Is there anything major between the two other than few more pixels on the camera etc?

You get a free watch with the S20 as well, but I don't need it because I use a Garmin.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Is the S20 FE much better than an S9+?

I can upgrade to the S20 for £30 a month, or I can just get a SIM only for £8 a month. I'm leaning towards SIM-only because the S9 is still fine and it seems like innovation in the phone market is stagnant? Is there anything major between the two other than few more pixels on the camera etc?

You get a free watch with the S20 as well, but I don't need it because I use a Garmin.
The S20 Fe won multiple awards this year. See mkbhd's latest awards video also. Came like 3rd in phone of year. Essentially beating an S20 ultra twice it's price. It's a massive difference especially in camera and battery.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Notifications didn't work on my S8 or S10 properly either. And geo fencing doesn't work on them either. Never again

S8 what notifications don't work? Never had any issues with my S8 solid phone.
I would go Samsung again all day long.

WhatsApp is what I noticed it on most. Sometimes they just flick the screen on for half a second then it goes off again. Sometimes it doesn't light it up at all. Edge lighting is hit and miss too

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
WhatsApp is what I noticed it on most. Sometimes they just flick the screen on for half a second then it goes off again. Sometimes it doesn't light it up at all. Edge lighting is hit and miss too

Edge lighting is hit and miss all others are fine.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The new S21 range. Probably the most box ticking phone ever made.

20210114_221618.jpg

20210114_221613.jpg

20210114_221606.jpg

20210114_221601.jpg

20210114_221558.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Emma has order s21 ultra with 512gb 16gb ram. Free pro buds and tag.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I was tempted by the buds pro, shame they've priced them so high.
Yeah I think the bud + are still the best buy, my ones are unreal. Battery life you don't even think about and the passive noise cancelation in my ears is better than any other buds i've used.

Alsdo that little wing tip is enough to have me recommend them over most as they can't fall out, most others I see look super dodgy, see normal air pods, they would fall out as soon as you turn your head!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Yeah I think the bud + are still the best buy, my ones are unreal. Battery life you don't even think about and the passive noise cancelation in my ears is better than any other buds i've used.

Alsdo that little wing tip is enough to have me recommend them over most as they can't fall out, most others I see look super dodgy, see normal air pods, they would fall out as soon as you turn your head!
Agree, I've tried so many buds and the only ones that are an overall improvement are the new melomania, but the integration with Samsung is brilliant on the buds plus

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not even sure whether I totally believe the effort they went to, but I love this type of thing. The nth degree type challenge. And my type of colour. I imagine it looks just as good in the flesh. Glad Emma ordered this one, she really didn't like the frosted phantom silver which surprised me.

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I'm not even sure whether I totally believe the effort they went to, but I love this type of thing. The nth degree type challenge. And my type of colour. I imagine it looks just as good in the flesh. Glad Emma ordered this one, she really didn't like the frosted phantom silver which surprised me.

I've gone for the
Emma has order s21 ultra with 512gb 16gb ram. Free pro buds and tag.
I've gone for Phantom Titanium 👌 great deal with the pro buds and tag.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Has anyone looked at the Vodafone plans that Carphone Warehouse are offering for the S21 range? The 100gb 5G plan they've got looks mega tempting for the Ultra. £365 up front and £43 a month, but they're offering £330 for trading in an S10 against it so it'd be £35 up front and £43 a month which is incredible for a £1200 phone.

Looking on Vodafone's website directly though they have download speed limits on certain plans though and I can't work out if the CW plans are the same story. f**k buying a plan that's got a speed limit on it!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that is the first time I have seen it. 2mbps on one plan? You ripping the piss Voda.

We went over each plan thoroughly and because Spotify was included with one and it's actually cheaper per month anyway, it was a no brained. Her one is about 60 something. Thn she gets discount on top of that. She got them down to £29 for the phone instead of 79 also. Worked out a good deal.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks like it's Vodafone's unlimited data plans that are speed capped (apart from the 'unlimited max' plan). Any plans with a data cap (like the 100gb plan CW are offering) have no speed caps. Makes more sense now tbf. Unlimited data is absolutely no use to me anyway, I just use WiFI everywhere.

I've been really trying to work out the most cost effective way too. Got out of my S10 contract for free about 7 months in when Vodafone changed their roaming charges and have been 30 day rolling sim only since. Would've liked to avoid tying into a contract again but it's just not worth buying the phone outright with some of the contract offers and S10 trade in value.

The £43 a month plan I mentioned above works out to be £8 a month for the line when you take off the cost of the phone. Ridiculously cheap!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i finally have some good s20 news!!

after months without any notification sounds, i finally have them back. whilst playing with the settings i changed from the default tone to a new one and bosh, notification sounds now work.

if only the fucker would work with my memory card now

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

no wonder phones are so expensive, they spent so long dicking around with colours!!