ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Build.....

RenaultSport 172.
Hey Everyone,
Decided it was about time to make another thread on here showing the new build :)

Please Note: The first post in this build thread is a basic interpretation of what work has been carried out!

Alot of you were following the build on the previous forum, however in the change over the thread got lost & deleted. So here i am making a new one :)

This thread shows the bits the old followers will have seen, and the progress thats happened since the forum change over :)

Right, well many people may know me because of the Clio & Golf ive built previously...

The Clio

DSC02727.jpg

7rage-2.jpg

The Golf

DSC_0021.jpg

Golf003-1-2.jpg

And here i am with my new build. Its a pug 206, that was bought of a forum member on here, 'Leo', of which many of you may know :). Anyway, not being one for modeling other peoples work, and building my own set out on the new project!
Its only a 1.1L, but in the current financial sitation, its helping me out loads, in terms of fuel, insurance & tax; also supporting my argument of when their finished their not able to be driven fast anyway. :)

Anyone enough of the waffle, after i sold the golf, i saw the 206 for sale in the classifieds, text leo and arranged a viewing with the intention of buying...i got there realising the car needed an awful lot of work, however, i managed to purchase the car with the price reflecting the work needed to get it up to standard.

Ok, so the first day came, and i set out work on the 206. I dropped the coilovers to the bottom of the thread; also removing the helper spring, meaning its physically impossible to drop the car any further. I also fully stripped the interior, leaving one seat and the dash; and adding a few personal touches like the 'jimmy up stickers'.

SANY0009.jpg

SANY0007.jpg

SANY0008.jpg

Anyway, i returned to work the day after; halfords, flopped out the wallet and got ordering & purchasing.:) Wooo!

First of all i purchased a 300mm Momo Team wheel; The ultimate overdone euro wheel' however for a reason, And a matching Momo boss to compliment it.

SANY0015.jpg

SANY0013.jpg

I then made up some new number plates, with the intention of cutting them down to suit the next stage of the modding treatment the pug was about to recieve...;)

SANY0014.jpg

And some replica BMW M5 mirrors; however they were sure to undergo a bit of cut, shut & smooth to make a fully custom mirror set up :)

SANY0012.jpg

At the same time, i also purchased a leather Cobra Monaco Pro seat to compliment the interior, along with a sparco harness and tilting & sliding subframe.

SANY0150.jpg

SANY0151.jpg

Right, after the ordering and purchasing was complete from halfords, i got on the phone to phil at powerflow in stafford to make me a full custom SS exaughst system; using a motor bike can as the backbox lying across the back bumper.

Out to be different & set the trends; not a sheep and to follow them.

SANY0006.jpg

SANY0011.jpg

SANY0004.jpg

Right, then it was time for bodywork!

I'd never done ANY bodyshop or bodywork WHAT SO EVER!
So this was on my own back, all trial and error!

Ive got an awesome bodyshop i used, that i stuck a blinding deal with financially; on the basis i helped do the work to the car, of which i was more than happy to get my hands dirty; save cash but also have the gratitude of building my own car too.

First of all, it was time to strip the pug, ready for the work to be carried out; so off came the lights, moldings, numer plates etc...

SANY0053.jpg

SANY0054.jpg

SANY0055.jpg

SANY0056.jpg

Whilst stripped,i found out that the breathing modifications were'nt up to scratch and needed addressing, so a trip back to work and they had been sorted with a BMC DIA enclosed induction it.

SANY0057.jpg

SANY0058.jpg

With that sorted, and the car stripped, i set out welding the holes under the side mouldings to help prevent serious sinking in the future, and also plates over the locks and door handles. So first of all i set out sanding back the area to reveal the bare metal, and began welding the plates needed to cover up the holes.

SANY0060.jpg

SANY0061.jpg

SANY0062.jpg

SANY0063.jpg

I then ground the protuding welds back to create a smooth as finish as i could :)

SANY0066.jpg

The i continued to D/A the area back, ready for its first layer of fiberglass.

SANY0067.jpg

Then its first layer of fiberglass was applied.

SANY0068.jpg

Whilst that was drying, i then set out work on the ariel and washer jets.
So first thing first; set out sanding back the area, ready for welding.

Washer Jets

SANY0064.jpg

Ariel

SANY0065.jpg

Then i welded them up :)

Washer Jets

SANY0072.jpg

Ariel

SANY0073.jpg

The again, i grinded the welds back, to stop them unwanted protuding.

SANY0074.jpg

SANY0075.jpg

Washer Jets

SANY0076.jpg

Ariel

SANY0077.jpg

The i applied the first layer of fiberglass...

Washer Jets

SANY0081.jpg

Ariel

SANY0082.jpg

And D/a back

Washer Jets

SANY0083.jpg

Ariel

SANY0084.jpg

With that done, i decided to sand down the sides of fiberglass; D/A

SANY0069.jpg

SANY0070.jpg

And apply the first layer of filler....

SANY0079.jpg

SANY0080.jpg

Ok then, so now i started work on the rear bumper

Removed and onto the bumper racking; ground down the towing eye and old zorst cut out ready for pastic welding

SANY0106.jpg

SANY0114.jpg

SANY0115.jpg

The i cut out erfect peices of plastic to cover the holes from the rear.

SANY0116.jpg

I then welded them into position and renforced them with a carbon fibre layer.

SANY0117.jpg

SANY0118.jpg

Flipped the bumper over, and have it its first layer of filler, covering the recess line, towing eye and old zorst cut out.

SANY0122.jpg

Whilst this was drying, i decided to go pick up my wheels.
Theyre the origional RSL cults, however ive had them powdercoated black with new falken rubber fitted :)

SANY0111.jpg

SANY0112.jpg

And I also painted my front calipers a florescent pink! :eek:

SANY0107.jpg

SANY0121.jpg

SANY0119.jpg

With the bumper dry, i sanded back the fiberglass

SANY0123.jpg

and applied and sanded back the first layer of filler...

SANY0124.jpg

I then decided to crack on with the front bumper...

So off it came, and filler was applied to make a flase line through the origional number plate recess

SANY0098.jpg

With several layers of filler & Fiberglass, i managed to get it looking like this; fully smooth ;D

SANY0104.jpg

SANY0105.jpg

I then applied, a layer of filler to the ariel and washer jets & sanded back...

Washer jets...

SANY0088.jpg

Ariel...

SANY0087.jpg

So with that done, i decided i needed to flare out the rear arches more, so out those mothers came!

SANY0093.jpg

And with their first layer of filler applied, they looked something like this...

SANY0099.jpg

And i left it there looking like this...

SANY0155.jpg

So thats my work at the bodyshop...i then left it in their hands, and returned to find this!

Smooooooth COMPLETE rear arches

SANY0161.jpg

SANY0162.jpg

Smooth COMPLETE door handle, lock and side strip removal

SANY0164.jpg

Smooth COMPLETE door recess

SANY0170.jpg

& the front arches flared to f**k with their first layer of filler on ;)

SANY0171.jpg

Ill keep the thread updates as and when but for now, thanks for reading :D

Ross...

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Looking very good so far, and i have liked all your cars so no doubt it will turn out a stunner!

Excellent writeup and plenty of pictures, not too sure about the exhaust but the rest looks tip top.

Integra Type-R DC2
Excellent mate! Im sure it'll look the tits when its done. What ever happend to the Golf? Really liked that car. Was my desktop background for ages.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Always enjoyed your builds man, and this one is no exception, despite being pretty much anti 206, i'm sure this'll look quality.

Any reason you chose the 206 over all the other hatches out there?

Only things i'm unsure about are the exhaust, i think it should be straighter? i.e run more inline with the rear bumper, similar to how some old vw ones do and the front doesnt look that low for you!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Dude!
My mate owned this car about 11ish month ago!

I got him to buy it when I saw it advertised on another forum, it was so low it used to catch on cats eyes going down the motorway! He sold it as he bought it for a sensible daily driver but it clearly wasn't!

I'll direct him this way....

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
I appreciate the effort that you're putting in to it, but to my eyes I can't see that looking decent. Exhaust especially.

I'm not a fan of the Euro look.

Isn' the cold air feed a bit overkill for a 1.1?

Rb 182
I like all the work going into it, all looks top notch.

But i'm not loving the exhaust. I hope ill end up eating my words as the rest of your builds have been top!

172//Crap Micra//Bus
Some fantastic work going on there bud, brilliant to see you getting stuck in yourself. Not 100% on the 206 or the Xoust, but sure it'll come on well. More pic's of Golf required though TBH.

Lee

BMW M2C
I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product Ross.

As with your last two, it's not something I'd ever think of doing, but I love your cars. So many original bits, yet so clean and Euro.

I loved your clio and I loved you Golf. I hate 206s with a passion, but... I think I like where your taking this...

RenaultSport 172.
cheers guys :)

yeah, appreciating this a little more as its all my own work :)

Some marmite mods on the build, but im trying to mix loads of modifying styles together to build something different. May work, may not :D

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
great thread, hats off for getting dirty and having a go at it! Looking forward for the next update

ValverInBits
I loved your clio and I loved you Golf. I hate 206s with a passion, but... I think I like where your taking this...

My thoughts exactly. Loved your previous work, especially the golf. Hope this one turns out well. Really hate 206s normally tbh.
Looking good so far.

ITB'd 182...
Like the flare on the arches and the wheels also!

Just a little sceptical on the exhaust but hope i get proven wrong and love it :)

Good progress

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
real good work there, will be nice to see it finished! not too keen on the exhaust though.

I think this is gonna look amazing, you just seem to know exactly what to do with your cars!

I like the exhaust....think it should fit with the look quite well.

I love projects and have a lot of time for your messing around :) so will watch this with a real passion :)

All the best with it chap

Jamie

RenaultSport 172.
cheers guys...going off the last builds, i have a standard to meet ...fingers crossed i can meet it, or even better exceed it!...mixing the different styles together is deffinatly going to be marmite, but hey!...love the haters ;)

Thanks for the support guys !

liked the previous cars but not too sure about this yet. obv no-where near done so i look forward to seeing the progress!