ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
You'll get to see it at Llandow 
Indeed - and I'm looking forward to seeing it mate :)

Looking mint under the bonnet now Andy :approve: apart from the blue hose ( till Tim gives you his big Red length ! :eek:) love the colour coding , even the coolant to match your paintwork ;) lol (why not type d ?)
Tim's good like that ;) Top bloke. As for why I'm using CAPSICUM RED coolant... Fred explained it well! :p

because the rad is temporary, so i just chucked it in for the time being, plus when the engine blows up it won't show up as much on his paintwork ;)
^ And there's the reason! Nothing like having faith in your own abilities, eh? ;)

Trophy's engine bay looks great @SharkyUK :)
Cheers Tim :) I hope I get chance to see you and the Meg again soon.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
August 2014 - Mini update #3

Today was... interesting. It didn't quite pan out as I'd expected. It was a day of lost tempers, Recaro-fuelled violence and a dash light telling me to STOP. It did end on an relative high, though. You have to take these positives when and where you can. Oh, my insurance renewal was good, too. Sure, it costs money but Dan at Greenlight was able to offer a great package so that's most definitely a positive in my eyes.

I'm currently in the middle of moving from one house to another so, late last night, I dropped the rear seats in the Trophy, loaded up a few bits and pieces and ferried them over to the new pad. It was the first time I'd ventured to the new place at night and I was struck by just how quiet the area is. How quiet it was. Whilst not silly-loud, the Trophy does have a somewhat distinctive sound now and attempting to drive slowly onto my new driveway quite simply didn't work. Especially as the revs rose to combat the somewhat steep ascents and descents that frequent the area around the place I will soon be calling home. Sure enough, security lights popped on here and there; a few curtains twitched. But no dramas. Even so, I did the courteous thing and turned off my headlights. I'm still not sure if this was an attempt to become 'stealthier' or simply a misguided belief that switching off the lights would actually result in a quieter car... but I digress.

My main point is that, on both the journey to the new pad and the return journey to my current pad, the car was driving beautifully. Despite the knackered shock. I was able to get a better idea of what the car is like now that the work has been carried out and how it differs compared to the old setup. Hence, an enthusiastic drive home was enjoyed and I went to sleep happy. Fast forward to this morning...

I pulled into the work car park and, as I came to a stop in the bay, the car cut out. I got a brief flash of dash lights but was unable to determine which symbols had been illuminated. With a fresh turn of the key I noticed that the STOP light was illuminated, as was the battery charge warning light. A further turn of the key made no difference as the car quite simply refused to kick into life. Opening up the bonnet I took a quick look in the engine bay but was unable to see anything immediately obvious. It would have to wait until lunch time as I had to be in work and my frustration was starting to build. Closing the bonnet I returned to the passenger door, opened it up and slid the Recaro Trendline seat forward (to access my jacket and bits for work). And then it jammed. The damn seat would not move on the rail. It would not tilt. It wouldn't do anything and no amount of swearing could budge it. :( As daft as it sounds, I flipped. I locked up the car and went into the office in a very bad mood. My (very understanding) boss picked up on this. Perhaps it wasn't wise giving him a kick in the shins as I went past him, but he knew immediately it was car related.

Joking aside, today was the first day I actually felt like throwing in the towel. Despite the time scales, the setbacks, etc. only today did I honestly feel like getting the car crushed and cubed. I'm naturally a very laid back person but this actually affected my whole day! I basically wrote the working day off, apologised to my boss and my team, and agreed to make up the hours over the rest of the week. I spoke to a friend who works with me and he agreed to meet me in the car park at lunch time with tools!

20140813_update01.png

Whilst waiting for him, I decided to tackle the Recaro problem. It was still stuck fast so I quite simply put the boot in. I kicked it a few times. Real hard
:eek: I'm not proud... but it worked! LOL! And it works fine again now. The only downer is that I scuffed it a little where I landed a particularly hefty blow, but it came out later with some TLC. My friend turned up shortly to lend a hand. It didn't take long to find the problem. Alternator. The connection to the alternator had completely snapped off. This had resulted in a discharged battery and, obviously, no recharging of the battery.

20140813_update02.jpg

With luck, I did manage to jump in the car and got it to turn over. Immediately in doing so I got my friend to follow me home so that I could get the car on my driveway before it completely packed up. It was only a 10 mile journey or so and thankfully I made it. With it parked on my drive, I returned to work in my friends Subaru and with frustrations at an all time high. I contacted my local auto-electrician (0.5 miles away from my house) but they would not fix it. They wanted to recover it to their workshop first... no chance! It was shortly after that I received a message from another friend who offered to pop over with some tools and lend a hand in re-attaching the wire. Whilst I worked the end of my day (and arranged for my better half to pick me up) my friend spent about an hour trying to find somewhere selling the required 49p terminal connector. Nowhere local had one! Oh well, temporary job it would be for now then... And, as good as his word, Sean turned up and kindly connected things back up. After another trip home, Sean returned to my place again with his jump leads and Le Clio B**tard Rouge came to life. It was only fair that I take Sean for a quick spin, so I did! All in the name of recharging the battery... :)

A short while later, another friend turned up in his RS2'd Trophy and I naturally took him for a spin as well. More battery charge was needed... :eek:

Whilst discussing the woes of the car, and how addictive the ITB sound is, attention turned to the knackered damper. As luck would have it, Sean also had a couple of sets of 182 Cup shocks available so they will be going on in the coming days... It looks like I will now be making the track day, ClioSport Saturday and my Scottish driving holiday. The Sachs dampers will be sent off and rebuilt when next payday rolls around. Or maybe the payday after that! LOL! Again, I can't thank all those who offered help (again) enough. The support has been incredible. Offers of time, help, tools and even loaning of cars. I'm genuinely overwhelmed and grateful. Thanks to each and every person; you know who you are :)

Gratuitous bwaaaarpage. :)

20140813_update03.jpg

Enough waffle. I'm knackered.

Ex 182 owner
I can't begin to imagine your patience fella. Just take comfort in that most of use can only dream of running a trophy of this spec.

It's tough enough keeping ontop of a my basic 182 that is a 2nd car. ;)

Evo 5 RS
Dayme. Least it didn't catch fire. Twice. Stick to OEM :p

Nothing worse than coming out of the pisser to see smoke coming from under the bonnet.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I can't begin to imagine your patience fella. Just take comfort in that most of use can only dream of running a trophy of this spec.

It's tough enough keeping ontop of a my basic 182 that is a 2nd car. ;)
Haha! Cheers mate :) So... the second car is a 182. What's the first? :)

Dayme. Least it didn't catch fire. Twice. Stick to OEM :p

Nothing worse than coming out of the pisser to see smoke coming from under the bonnet.
You're confused mate! :p No fires here. I gave the V6 back ages ago...

M2 Comp
Sorry to hear about that mate, but at least it was a relatively straight forward and inexpensive fix!

Do you know the spec/size of the terminal connector? Mine is in quite badly corroded too so i'm thinking of changing it just to be on the safe side...

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
My first cup nearly went up in smoke as a result of that very same fault! Alternator terminal corroded and gave up = me considering pissing on it to put out the fire whilst frantically pulling the battery terminals off!! I ain't no contortionist neither! Lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Sorry to hear about that mate, but at least it was a relatively straight forward and inexpensive fix!

Do you know the spec/size of the terminal connector? Mine is in quite badly corroded too so i'm thinking of changing it just to be on the safe side...
They're m8 terminals mate. Be careful though as they usually snap out of the alternator body when you undo the nut. Piece of s**t design!!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Patience of a Saint I tell you! I'd have been reaching for the matches and the can of petrol long ago!
Oh, believe me... my patience has worn very thin over the last few days sir! :) If anything else happens it might just tip me over the edge. :clown:

Cheers Tommo. As you say, it's not a major problem and thankfully there were no fires either! That would have tipped me over the edge! LOL!

My first cup nearly went up in smoke as a result of that very same fault! Alternator terminal corroded and gave up = me considering pissing on it to put out the fire whilst frantically pulling the battery terminals off!! I ain't no contortionist neither! Lol
Yours as well? Blimey. :S Not a good time to suffer with pee-shyness! I'm glad it didn't go up in smoke though!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
lol the company diesel burner ;).. The 182 doesn't get used every day and still is a PITA and wallet at times ;)
Yeah, I know the feeling well. Money pits. All of them! :)

This car has definitely been sent to test you.

Don't let it win ;)
I've come this far, I will NOT be beaten. I hope. :p

On a different note, my track day tyres arrived today. I'll get them fitted to a set of my spare wheels tomorrow and scrub them in!

feds01.jpg

New brake pads are on and fresh fluid, too. The knackered Sachs will be removed on Monday and the temporary set of 182 Cup shocks fitted (and used) whilst the Sachs are sorted out.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Man you don't have much luck with this car do you but it does look worth it... Dat engine bay tho.

Any vids yet?

Clio Sport 182 Cup-packed
Your enthusiasm is outstanding;)

My Trophy'd 182 in Germany has now covered 10.000miles since
I put the Sachs on. Thos suspension is unbelievably good.

So go on having fun with your car.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Man you don't have much luck with this car do you but it does look worth it... Dat engine bay tho.

Any vids yet?
Thanks fella :) Sadly I don't have any vids yet as I'm still having a few issues that I need sorted. I'm hoping to get some done soon... but obviously want the car to be 100% (or close to) first.

Your enthusiasm is outstanding;)

My Trophy'd 182 in Germany has now covered 10.000miles since
I put the Sachs on. Thos suspension is unbelievably good.

So go on having fun with your car.
Haha! Thank you.

It's good to hear that you are enjoying the Sachs. I thought you would like them. I find that they are very good on track and excellent on the road. :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing major to report but I did take the tyres to be fitted today. The rear strut brace comes in very useful for keeping things in place! :eek:

feds02.jpg

16" Federal RS-R's pm Trophy Turinis. Baller. LOL! I don't have any 15's.

Sadly, another slight/minor issue has now reared it's head :( The exhaust has decided to go wandering and it's move out of line. A quick look would suggest that mounts, etc. are all good but it's fouling slightly on the rear (right tailpipe is the problem). The heat is already causing discolouration and I'm concerned the heat may cause a few other issues. I'm struggling to find the time to do anything about it at the moment though so it's going to have to wait.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
August 2014 - Mini update #4

It's not much of an update really but I thought I'd post up a couple of vids I made today (well, yesterday). As you may have read in a recent update, one of my dampers quite spectacularly failed. Thankfully a local friend (cheers, Sean!) popped round to my place with a spare set of 182 Cup dampers and also gave up his lunchtime to fit them for me. Naturally I'm extremely grateful as this now means I can venture out at Llandow, get along to ClioSport Saturday and enjoy my driving holiday in Scotland.

Hmmm, yes. The damper. The following video I made shows just how bad it was. Absolutely no damping whatsoever (apart from maybe the last 3mm of travel). The confusing thing is that I've not noticed any leaks or problems. It just became very crashy having got it back after the engine build and now I know why. Dan (SJM) did say it was in a bit of a state and he wasn't wrong...

I'd also like to thank @Tim. for sending me the read silicone hosing! I am now free of that nasty blue thing and the engine bay is looking a lot better for it. Many thanks Tim, you are a gentleman and fwend. Having fitted the hose, I took the liberty to grab a quick video of the car at idle. I didn't want to rev the nuts off it because my neighbour had just come home from working a double-shift at the hospital... :eek:

Cheers :)

EDIT: My smartphone doesn't do the sound justice to be fair.

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Those dampers make a funny sound mate ! No wonder there fudged !

Car sounds beautiful, can't wait to hear it followed by @Pete. Vtec howl :)
Thanks mate.

LOL! Yeah, the car in general makes some weird noises these days :) I'm also looking forward to hearing Pete's screamer again. It sounded great bouncing around the hills and valleys of Wales not so long back.

Yep sounds lovely, just want to hear it on full chat now!
Soon mate, soon. Once I get a camera sorted :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Any updates on the Rad mate did you get one sorted ?
Got one in the pipeline mate. Just need to get the pennies sorted as the wallet has been hit hard with the house move and niggles with the car (not the engine or gearbox I hasten to add!) :)

This car is ridiculously awesome. Just been out in it, and the whole package is something else. Lovely.
Haha! Glad you enjoyed it, Oli. I frikkin' love it. Especially after tonight. It was the first time I've properly opened the taps and it has been worth all the hassle and delays! :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Looks and sounds great mate really wish I was clio sport day to see it
Cheers buddy :) Believe me, you probably wouldn't want to see it at ClioSport Saturday! I won't have time to clean it in time so it will be sporting 18 months of grime (inside and out) and a few bits of debris and bugs from the track day a couple days back! I'll also probably turn up on the track wheels / tyres, too. :eek: At least it will sound good :)

Andy thanks for the blast out last night and the four laps at Llandow today. The car was just immense and pulled like atrain. Hope you get the gearbox sorted soos.
Absolute pleasure, Pete! You're more than welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't press on more but I didn't want to risk things too much :) I'm not too worried about the gearbox to be fair; it doesn't sound or feel terminal. In fact, it seems very minor. It will be sorted very soon. In the meantime I still have 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th to use! LOL!

Any pics or vids from Llandow ?
I don't think anyone got any pics, mate (apart from a couple I took myself)! :cry: Filters got me on a flyby on his camera phone. See the next update (coming soon)...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
August 2014 - Mini update #5

Just a small update to keep things moving along whilst the minor niggles and finer points on the car are sorted out...

Last Wednesday saw the arrival of the infamous BurpSpeed track day at Llandow; arguably the highlight of my track day calendar! :) The arrival of the track day also served to bring some good people closer to this great place we call Wales. Either that or the social gathering at the nearby Travelodge / Harvester the evening before...

Knowing that a bunch of good mates were staying over at the Travelodge, and more were due to arrive over the evening, I decided I couldn't take it anymore. A flick of the mouse and Windows was soon shutting down... which was timed to coincide nicely with that point in the day when my boss takes his late afternoon toilet break. Purely coincidental. Honest. So yes, I bailed out of work, went straight home, got changed and made the short journey over to Pencoed. Pulling into the Harvester car park some 30 minutes later I was soon greeted by familiar faces. I think they may have heard the car entering the car park to be honest (even though I tried to be as discreet as possible). I was soon lubed up with J2O's finest pear juice and chewing the fat with Cub., Tim., JP83., Christopher., Euan94, Pete. and others (apologies for not mentioning you by name but I can't be ar$ed digging out all the usernames. Rest assured, it was properly lovely to see you all x)

I'd managed about half of the J2O when attentions turned to the Trophy and I offered to take Oli out for a spin. It would have been rude not to. After all, she was warm and the mileage was helping loosen her up nicely (the Trophy, not Oli).
:p Handily the dual carriageway wasn't too far away so I could happily blast up and down that at 69.9mph. It's hard to describe the sound it makes. It's definitely ITB-like. It's a kinda barking growl that increases in volume the further you push the loud pedal. Or something like that. Regardless, it was/is immensely addictive and I enjoyed the blast up and down the carriageway (at 69.9mph). I think/hope Oli enjoyed it, too.

On arrival back at the pub car park I was met by Chris (or was it Tim? My ageing memory fails me...) Hence we were straight back out on the dual carriageway for another gentle drive. And so the trend continued. Each time I returned to the car park another one of the lads were waiting in line to go for a spin! :eek: I think it was a good half hour before I got back to finish the remainder of my J2O... That said, I thoroughly enjoyed it (especially under the motorway bridges) and luckily the police rapid response vehicle was clearly after somebody else. <clench> Phew. </unclench>

After the arrival of Jay, Tony, Matt and others I enjoyed a bite to eat, a bit of banter and had to head home. Naturally I took the scenic route home and - ooft - the T really loves that crisp, cold night air. :)

Wednesday morning arrived and I left early to meet a few guys at Cardiff West Services; from there we would head in to Llandow together. Eventually we got Gavin out of bed and the convoy rolled forth. The traffic wasn't so bad but being stuck behind an articulated truck meant we couldn't enjoy the country road leading to the venue as much as we perhaps could have done otherwise. Still, we were at the circuit a half hour later and soon enjoying the breakfast and briefing. And... get this... it was dry and warm! DRY AND WARM! Rejoice, the God of track days was smiling down on Llandow for once. :)

20140822_update01.jpg

Being on photography duty for the morning (thanks to Jay and Tony asking me along again - something I am always happy to do) I spent the time grabbing shots of folks enjoying themselves over the rather grippy and abrasive surface that comprises Llandow's short, but sweet, layout. The weather made it a pleasure and it was good to see people enjoying themselves, their cars and the venue. Both track drivers new and experienced were flying around in no time. Happy days :)

During the lunch break I took the opportunity to head out on the local roads with Marc (owner of the ITB's 172 Cup) to get the Trophy warmed up a little. A few miles of driving and I returned to the circuit, strapped the helmet on and went out for what was effectively a shakedown! LOL! After a few warmup and familiarisation laps I decided to ramp things up a bit and started to use that loud pedal more. It was awesome. It was awesome for a few hundred metres. :clown: The revs suddenly rose sharply and, realising I wasn't in third gear, I slotted the shifter back into third. Alas, the same thing happened again a couple of corners later... :( And so this continued for the rest of the day. I just got not keep it in third gear and, unsurprisingly, third gear is quite useful at Llandow. *sigh*

20140822_update02.jpg

Thankfully the problem does not seem, or feel, serious. And it only affects 3rd gear, too. There is no clanging, no banging and the gearbox is otherwise spot-on. It was getting very warm but this may be due to the fact that it is probably due a fluid change and the fact that it's running on semi-synthetic stuff used to run in the gearbox. As I wasn't too concerned I continued to take a few people out over the course of the day but didn't really have use of that 3rd gear. It made chasing people down difficult whilst conversely allowed people to easily get by. Pah! But it was still immense fun! By this time, the gear had started to slip out of 3rd under hard acceleration, braking and cornering. As a result, I headed in and allowed everything to cool down before heading out for a handful of laps right at the end of the day. And that's when it happened... I got things warmed up and then was able to enjoy TWO full-on hot laps without any incident at all. And she flew. Those two laps made it all worthwhile and what a car; it all came together so well and it was a genuine joy to drive.

The next lap naturally saw the gear slide out again so I dived in and called it a day. I was a bit frustrated but still had enjoyed the day immensely. Filters even managed to catch a bit of a flyby on his phone... thanks mate! You might need to turn the sound up a bit as it's a tad quiet...

As ClioSport Saturday is tomorrow I am still looking to head over in the Trophy. Jay Payne has kindly free'd up his evening for me and I am heading over there later to change the gearbox fluid and to get a closer look at the gearbox linkage. A massive thanks to Jay - it is very much appreciated and I have this here Carling stuff for you... Hopefully we might get a result tonight (ooer) or at least be able to rule a couple of things out. As I said, I'm not too concerned as it seems a very minor niggle and I'd be happy to drive to CSS without 3rd gear if necessary! :)

Cheers,
Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Thanks for taking me out on Tuesday evening, I did feel a bit awkward asking after having only met you for about 5 mins haha!

But wow! Very much worth it. It really is a special car and a credit to you (and Fred), I hope you get the issue sorted and can enjoy that noise fully!

172 Race Car
Hopefully the issue is sorted now. Weve just been for a blast where we got up to 69mph and it seamed fine. Hopefully Andy will update us after hs drive home.

Mightly impressed with the engine, very smooth and proper noise. NA FTW!!