ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Cars looking good, but just thought id add a couple of thoughts:

1. The ktec filter of death is appalling, how ktec carry on selling it i dont know.
2. Get Matt to check the wiring, the loom on the ktec itb'd car i just broke was appalling.
3. Im amazed they didnt do something as simple as a compression test when something was clearly wrong with the engine. FYI, im having one done as part of my service, prior to getting the cam/aux belt done, no point even getting those basics done if the lump is fudged lol.
4. Matt has a very good rep, shame others dont.

I love the way your Trophy is always so clean, perhaps i should adopt a similar approach :eek:

Owen

ClioSport Admin
On the whole I think I've been pretty lucky to be fair (certainly compared to the misfortunes of some that I read about on here). I have my fingers crossed that there is no serious issue with the pump and that it is indeed simply a minor hiccup... Out of interest, do you use yours as a daily driver?

Hope so too mate! Like you, my funds are diminished after indulging on the trumpets!

Yep mine is daily driven, about 57k on the clock. Would be a slightly easier drive it it was raised a bit from its current rather low stance on 2118's - however it looks cool and I have no problems holding up traffic as I crawl over speedbumps.
The car has changed a bit since you saw it during that meet in Porthcawl many moons ago. How she currently stands:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?562120-South-Wales-meet-Swansea-(Pic-heavy) /end thread hijack

Evo 5 RS

1. The ktec filter of death is appalling, how ktec carry on selling it i dont know.
2. Get Matt to check the wiring, the loom on the ktec itb'd car i just broke was appalling.
3. Im amazed they didnt do something as simple as a compression test when something was clearly wrong with the engine. FYI, im having one done as part of my service, prior to getting the cam/aux belt done, no point even getting those basics done if the lump is fudged lol.

I love the way your Trophy is always so clean, perhaps i should adopt a similar approach :eek:

without opening up the k-tec hate gates again, they did say to me they didn't have time to do a compression test after I had mesh down the cylinder. lol

Clio RS1
WOW !!! this 165/500 Trophy is THE BEST CLIO EVER in the world !!!!

very very impressive I have no words to express what I'm feeling...the only drawback is the steering wheel on the right side. hihihi

congratulations mate !

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
159 atf? Nice write up and piccys as always. A lot of filters do fake like this btw, even the bigger dome ones. Shame about your compression issues..Matt tells you how it is! You're in good hands.

I have an engine ready for BTM to fit and TDF to re-map after going down a similar road to yourself, bit of a bollock ache! Hope all goes well.

Thanks mate. I hear nothing but good reports about Matt and TDF so I'm feeling very reassured right now! As for the result, yes - the 159 was at the fly. Looking forward to the results of your engine work and remap and I hope it wasn't too much of a bollock ache. Mind you, I would stick my neck out and say it will be more than worth it...

Thanks for the comments - appreciated and noted. As for the Trophy always being so clean... Photoshop is a wonderful tool! LOL! In all truth, she gets driven hard so the least I can do is look after her and show her a bit of TLC now and again. Thank goodness I have an understanding partner who is also into her performance cars... :D

Yep mine is daily driven, about 57k on the clock. Would be a slightly easier drive it it was raised a bit from its current rather low stance on 2118's - however it looks cool and I have no problems holding up traffic as I crawl over speedbumps.

The car has changed a bit since you saw it during that meet in Porthcawl many moons ago. How she currently stands:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?562120-South-Wales-meet-Swansea-(Pic-heavy) /end thread hijack

Cheers, I was just being nosey in wondering whether or not you used it as a daily driver! I believe quite a few do who have gone down the ITB route.

Hey, if you want/need to crawl then you crawl... and many thanks for the link - I'll take a proper look when I get home (lunch break is about to end). Jeez, Porthcawl seems sooooo long ago now...!

without opening up the k-tec hate gates again, they did say to me they didn't have time to do a compression test after I had mesh down the cylinder. lol

LOL, I'm not going to get into an argument regarding K-Tec (I have to hold my hands up and say my past experiences with them have been very good and only the filter issue and lack of compression test leaves me a bit miffed, especially as my car was there for the whole week).

I was very sorry to hear about your 'mesh down the cylinder' issue. Not good at all and I hope things were sorted out favourably as a result.

WOW !!! this 165/500 Trophy is THE BEST CLIO EVER in the world !!!!

very very impressive I have no words to express what I'm feeling...the only drawback is the steering wheel on the right side. hihihi

congratulations mate !

Heh heh - thanks for the kind words :D I wouldn't say it was the best Clio ever but I appreciate the sentiments nonetheless! As for the steering wheel, it was due to be replaced as part of an interior refresh and update but - sadly - that has been put on hold whilst I pay for the work/repairs to be carried out on the engine.

Evo 5 RS
Cheers Sharky. The whole situation just needed a bit more honesty. It's all water under the bridge now though

Anyway, yeah I've stuck with it and pushing to get it all sorted. GL to you :D

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Sharky. The whole situation just needed a bit more honesty. It's all water under the bridge now though

Anyway, yeah I've stuck with it and pushing to get it all sorted. GL to you :D

Fair enough mate and glad things have moved on. No point in dwelling on the past; I'm sure lessons have been learned. (Feck, I sound like a right grandad!) It will be good to see the results once you are all up and running again so don't be shy... :D Cheers and the best of luck to your good self, too.

Such an awesome write up, and car.

Great project, love it :)

Thanks mate - I'm looking forward to providing a few more updates soon... along with some video / audio once Matt/TDF have done their thing. :D

Clio RS 182
Nice write up mate, not seen this thread before and I can now honestly say it is by far the best progress thread I have ever seen, Cheers.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nice Trophy. Very well conserved and with wise upgrades, that do not change the meaning of having a Trophy: Enjoy every time you turn the key and drive away. Congratulations:race:

Thanks Phoenix - one of the main concerns I have whilst upgrading the Trophy is to try and keep it true to the Trophy brand. That is the reason I didn't save up a little extra money and go down the forced induction route. I have no issues with forced induction but it just wasn't for me or the Trophy in this case. :D

Nice write up mate, not seen this thread before and I can now honestly say it is by far the best progress thread I have ever seen, Cheers.

Blue - thank you. I think we'll have to agree to disagree though as there are some amazing project/progress threads on here! Nevertheless, I appreciate the sentiments! :D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Good read that, i'm sure it'll be back better than ever, it couldnt be in safer hands :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Good read that, i'm sure it'll be back better than ever, it couldnt be in safer hands :)

Glad you enjoyed the read, mate - thanks! Totally agree in that it couldn't be in better hands... can't wait until I get it back on Sunday...

Blimey, some issues and pennies there!

All sorted now?

LOL! You're not wrong, maynard... and you've not heard the best/worst of it yet! Put it this way - I have a fairly hefty update coming along next week. If nothing else it might give you a bit of a laugh (even though I'm on the verge of crying!) :D Just to make one thing clear, though; I'm chuffed with TDF as they've bent over backwards to help me out and I'm massively grateful. As I say, a fairly large update will be coming along in a week or so and I think a few folks may be interested in reading it...

172 Cup
Tremendous write up fella enjoyed every minute of it, thats a great trophy you have there im very jealous! :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Tremendous write up fella enjoyed every minute of it, thats a great trophy you have there im very jealous! :)

Thanks Jimbo - glad you enjoyed the read. Don't be too jealous though... I see you have a 172 Cup and having driven one recently (at least until it went "clank") I really enjoyed it.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
April 2011 (Update)
And so the story continues... picking up on the woes of the last few weeks. Grab your comfy slippers and a cocoa as this might take a while! :smiley:

Following on from the problems detailed in my last big update, I took my Trophy back into TDF to have the problems fixed - i.e. the lack of compression and resulting low power output. Arriving early on a Wednesday morning I left the car in their capable hands and kindly got picked up by my uncle who lived nearby. Due to the increasing costs and distances travelling between South Wales and TDF I had decided to spend 3 days staying with my relatives as it worked out cheaper than hotel, hiring a car or making several train journeys. It was agreed that I'd pop back on the Friday evening and pick up the Trophy.

During the few days that the car was with TDF, it became apparent that things were a bit of a mess. Matt kept me updated on what was happening and what they had found and the bad news was that - basically - the head was in a heck of a state. I do believe Matt even mentioned "fubar'd" at one point! It was no wonder that the car was significantly down on power and that there were issues with the compression; valves were not seating correctly among other things. It wasn't going to be cheap to fix but the Trophy is a keeper and to have it back running as it should be was going to be worth the expense.

Even so, If I'm being completely honest, I was left feeling very, very disappointed that K-Tec hadn't highlighted the fact that my car was so low on power when I had the ITB conversion carried out. They kept me up to date with what was happening and how they needed to replace the auxiliary belt, etc. but there was not a single mention that my car was running low on power - i.e. pulling only in the 150's bhp. (Bear in mind this was pulling in the 150's and it was mildly modified with matched inlets, exhaust, PTFE gaskets, performance filter and an earlier K-Tec remap). My disappointment was deepened further when it became obvious that a pressure test had not been performed (despite the low reading) and work had gone ahead with the conversion regardless. If I had been aware of this issue I would not have gone ahead with the ITB's and opted to get the problems fixed first, and saved up for the ITB's at a later date. Sadly it was too late for that. When I picked up the car a week later I was presented with the dyno graphs... and perhaps I didn't manage to hide my disappointment as well as I thought? I was told that the K-Tec rollers ran "extremely conservatively" hence the low result. Having just spent a significant amount of money I expected my ITB'd Trophy to be running more than a few bhp above what a stock ClioSport 182 runs! It's a shame as I've not had issue with K-Tec in the past but this has really put me off and I won't be going back.

Getting back on track (no pun intended), Friday arrived and I spoke with Matt regarding the progress on the head and associated work. It sadly became apparent that there was no way it would be ready for me to drive home Friday evening. In fact, a couple or three extra days were needed to get things fixed properly, put back together and tested / calibrated. That left me with a small dilemma as I was now stuck in Cambridgeshire with no means of transport and I had to be back home that night as I had friends staying at my gaff in South Wales. On top of that, I also had to get back as the next day was Castle Combe's Spring Action Day and I was due to be there with my own Club, Rebel Motorsport Club. At that point a knight in shining armour descended and offered a solution to my dilemma (it was actually Matt but let's not ruin the illusion...) What can I say? Matt very generously offered me his stripped out 172 Cup for the weekend! I was extremely chuffed because otherwise I would have been completely up poop creek without a propulsion device. (Please forgive all my Matt 'brown-nosing' but he's been an absolute star throughout!)

I made it safely home late that Friday night (as did the 172 Cup!) and I was greeted by my good friends upon arrival. A few hours later and we were waking up and making our way to Castle Combe for the Spring Performance Car Action Day. Without a doubt I had to admire the loan 172 - it was sooooo smooth to drive; the smoothest Clio I've driven by far. Arriving at the venue I parked it up on our Club stand (no, I did NOT track it!) and you may well have seen it if you attended the event.

20110409_ccspcad_84.jpg

20110409_ccspcad_85.jpg

After a good day at Combe in scorchio sunshine I helped clear and pack up our Club stand and waited until everybody had said goodbye and safely left the venue. Once I was happy that all was well I got into Matt's 172 and began the journey home. And that's when things went wrong. Having just pulled out onto the A46 near the Cross Hands (I'm sure many folks know it) the car gave a judder out of the blue. I immediately pulled off onto a nearby sideroad and looked to pull into a gap at the road side. However, I didn't make it; the car gave a massive judder and came to an abrupt stop. The clutch seemed to work but it was apparently stuck in gear. Even with the gear shift in neutral it would not roll... As a result, it was a nightmare trying to singlehandedly push the car to the side of the road whilst fully depressing the clutch pedal. Good job it's a relatively light car and stripped out otherwise I fear the task would have been all the more difficult.

Naturally I felt absolutely sick, almost to the point of losing my Combe burgers on the grass verge. Matt had been kind enough to let me borrow his car and now here I was with his broken chariot. To make matters worse, I was unable to get in touch with Matt to tell him the news and to profusely offer my sincere apologies. Unable to reach Matt, I called my girlfriend to tell her I'd be late and then decided it would be a good idea to call the AA before my mobile phone completely ran out of battery. Luckily I only had to wait about an hour and a half and I was collected by a local recovery service (cheers Clive!) who ferried me and the 172 back to my pad in Wales. (Incidentally, Clive had just been dealing with the Tesla that had been at Combe and had ended up nestling on it's roof a short time after leaving the venue... oops...) The good news was that Clive also ran a recovery business in his own time and he kindly offered to ferry me and the car back to TDF a couple of days later on the Monday. A price was agreed and all I had to do was arrange the time off work and contact Matt to let him know what had happened. I finally contacted him Sunday evening and he was amazingly calm about it. I agreed to get the car recovered back to him the next day (Monday, with me tagging along for the ride) and to have my Trophy taken back on the same truck - might as well save the fuel seeing as I was paying for the recovery anyway!

Monday arrived and I was collected along with the 172...

20110411_poorly172.jpg

We made good time and arrived at TDF in the early afternoon. My trophy was in the final stages of being put back together and was due on the dyno later in the evening. I hung around and watched a few different cars on the dyno and was grinning from ear-to-ear when the Trophy made it's way over from the workshop. It sounded a LOT different. It was actually sharper, harsher and more like ITB's should be. Within moments it was on the dyno and Matt began to do his stuff.

The good news is that the Trophy pulled as-near-as-dammit 200bhp on the dyno with a healthy mid-160's lbft. Much, much better. And the sound... I can't get over the difference in sound between the time it went in and what I was now hearing. Loved it! But... things then went a bit wrong again. (Have you noticed a recurring theme here? LOL!) Shortly after the above video was taken, Matt was performing a few mid-range tests to check out the mapping and calibration when oil began to leak onto the dyno. (BTM Fred was in attendance at this point and I must apologise for not saying hello properly as I never twigged who it was until afterwards... sorry mate!)

20110411_tdfdyno.jpg

The guys rolled the Trophy out and took a look... A few minutes later... dagnabbit, the cam seals had failed. It was now getting late on Monday night, my Trophy was not going to be ready and I had to again get back to Wales for work the next day. It was lucky that the recovery driver had hung around all day so I jumped in with him and he gave me a lift home. Due to work and personal commitments it would be the following Sunday before I would be able to pick it up... I was still feeling pretty cut-up about Matt's broken car but he was still calm about; despite informing me that it looked like it was the diff that had gone pop. Fair enough, it was one of those things but I still felt bad.

Eventually, Sunday arrived (last Sunday) and my girlfriend very kindly offered to drive me over to TDF to collect the car. Well, I say "drive me over" but I actually drove over myself in her car. Any excuse to get behind the wheel of her Type-R; and what a cracking car it is, too. Mmm, that gear shift is sweet. And so refined compared to the Trophy. Anyways... Matt had been busy trackside at Silverstone with various cars so we agreed to turn up in the early evening to collect it. Upon arrival the Trophy was sat waiting for me, idling over with a nice little burble thing going on. Paula and I spent a bit of time chatting with Matt (including a few potential future upgrade options for the Trophy) before starting the long journey home - and this time with my Trophy. It had been a long time coming. And was it worth it the wait...?

...definitely! The drive back was "fun, entertaining and interesting" and the Trophy was pulling like a train compared to what I was used to. Smoother, significantly more powerful, harder-edged sound, improved throttle response, the odd pop and bang... beautiful. I had to take a few photos when I got back home. Ooh - clean and shiny!

20110417_shiny01.jpg

20110417_shiny02.jpg

At the time of writing (as seen in the pics above) I am still running the crappy and self-destroying K-Tec filter. It is making a hell of a mess and I'm reluctant to run the car too much until I get a replacement sorted. The good news is that Matt has ordered me an ITG solution and has machined me a custom backplate to fit against. No more disintegrating foam filter and no more filter impeding the trumpets when the foam bumpers get compressed under heavy load... I can't wait to get the new one on to be honest.

So - briefly - what was done?
  • Cylinder head - and reconditioning of components
  • Acid bath dip
  • New valve guides
  • All valve seats recut
  • Head skim
  • Cylinder head pressure test
  • New pulleys, belts, tensioner and seals
  • Replacement of coolant (Motul Inugel)
  • Dyno runs (calibration / mapping)
  • Replacement custom ITG filter (will be arriving soon)
  • Custom machined backplate for filter (will be arriving soon)
Anything else?
  • Recovery of Matt's 172 Cup :smiley:
I can't thank Matt and the guys at TDF enough. They were extremely busy and bent over backwards to try and get the Trophy back to me as soon as they could. Obviously this was delayed somewhat by the sequence of unfortunate events and the fact that the head was in a bad way - but I am grateful and appreciate their efforts and top-notch work. It's fair to say that they have a new fan. It's good to know that there are at least one or two reputable folks / companies out there who you can still trust with your pride and joy.

I think I'll leave it there for now - thanks for reading. :smiley:

Last edited:
  340i
Some write up there!

I've just read it while eating my breakfast ;)

The main thing is your happy with the car now, just plain bad luck about the cylinder head and low comp. :(

Glad it's sorted!

LY 182
Crikey, hope that's the last of your troubles bud. Always loved your T. Must be freaking amazing driving it now though, from 150 odd to near 200 and a lot better through the revs?

Matt @ TDF is quality too.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Glad to see its all sorted at last!! Albeit with a few surprises along the way for good measure :eek:

Car will be fantastic to drive now i bet, like the difference i felt after my work, but with an additional 20bhp lol. Glad the filter of death is going though, the state of the trumpets on Guppy's itb'd clio was horrific, i thought he'd gone for the black jenveys ...

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Always Great Read this thread mate,you have now the perfect trophy IMO :approve:
also proves you can use a car and still keep it REAL clean !
Cant believe KTEC can give it you back like that :eek:
All rolling road tuners should do a compression test before a std tune up before they start ANYTHING else never mind ITB conv !!
All the ones I have used have anyway , poor show on there part :nono:.
Glad you got it sorted thou mate and as always TOP marks on the photos .

TrackCar & F30 330d
That was qute a write up, you've have lots of bad luck, hopefully the karma thing gets balanced out and you have some more luck!

I was never a fan on that filter on my car kept getting sucked onto the ends of the trumpets iirc. The old ktec filter was worse for doing that that.

Get some pics up of your new filter when you get it :)

Trophy #382
Have K-Tec commented on this at all?

As always fantastic write up! glad its all good and sorted now

Evo 8 MR
That's a hell of a run of bad luck there.

Did Matt say how or why the head could have got in such a state in the first place?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
probably worth mentioning that your filter is already made by ITG

Cheers danny... my bad for not being very clear on my write-up. My main point was that the filter was/is awful and needs replacing asap. :D My trumpets are already coated black and seemingly have grown a fur-lining.

Bet you're chuffed. Will you be at the RR meet, Andy?

Yeah, definitely chuffed mate! I must confess that I'm not aware of any RR meet... I'm assuming this is at TDF? I'd have to check the dates regardless anyways... for now I'm not going to commit either way. LOL!

Some write up there!

I've just read it while eating my breakfast ;)

The main thing is your happy with the car now, just plain bad luck about the cylinder head and low comp. :(

Glad it's sorted!

Thanks for the feedback Gray - happy to provide a little breakfast time reading. :D

Crikey, hope that's the last of your troubles bud. Always loved your T. Must be freaking amazing driving it now though, from 150 odd to near 200 and a lot better through the revs?

Matt @ TDF is quality too.

It's just been a run of unfortunate events that could have happened to anyone but, yes, I'm hoping that's the last of them. Thanks for the feedback and I can happily say that it is considerably better through the revs. It's opened my eyes to what I've been missing all this time I can tell you!

Glad to see its all sorted at last!! Albeit with a few surprises along the way for good measure :eek:

Car will be fantastic to drive now i bet, like the difference i felt after my work, but with an additional 20bhp lol. Glad the filter of death is going though, the state of the trumpets on Guppy's itb'd clio was horrific, i thought he'd gone for the black jenveys ...

Hey, a few little surprises along the way makes things "interesting" right? LOL! As soon as the new filter arrives it will be going on - tools at the ready. :D Mind you, there has been a slight change in plan as you will be able to read below...

Always Great Read this thread mate,you have now the perfect trophy IMO :approve:
also proves you can use a car and still keep it REAL clean !
Cant believe KTEC can give it you back like that :eek:
All rolling road tuners should do a compression test before a std tune up before they start ANYTHING else never mind ITB conv !!
All the ones I have used have anyway , poor show on there part :nono:.
Glad you got it sorted thou mate and as always TOP marks on the photos .

Cheers davo. I have to agree in that I would have thought any sort of engine / tuning / performance work would start pretty much with a compression test. The lads at TDF picked up on it straight away. In fact, they even knew as I *drove* into the place in the very first instance... picking up on the comparatively (to now) dull, flat and lifeless sound of the engine. Happy days now though and I see many, many more years of enthusiastic driving and weekend cleans... LOL!

That was qute a write up, you've have lots of bad luck, hopefully the karma thing gets balanced out and you have some more luck!

I was never a fan on that filter on my car kept getting sucked onto the ends of the trumpets iirc. The old ktec filter was worse for doing that that.

Get some pics up of your new filter when you get it :)

Yeah, will post up some pics when the filter arrives mate. Mind you, as of this morning there has been a slight change in plan (more info below mate). Despite the bad luck I can't complain too much; people on here have been in far worse situations and worse things happen at sea. Or so I'm told. With respect to the K-Tec filter I totally agree. Under mid-high to high revs it is practically sat atop the end of the trumpets! It's daft as there is no way the air can get drawn in from around the curved edges of the trumpets!

Have K-Tec commented on this at all?

As always fantastic write up! glad its all good and sorted now

Cheers Sam. I haven't had word from K-Tec and I don't particularly want to get drawn into any slanging match or playground tit-for-tat. At the end of the day I'm hugely disappointed and taken a hefty blow to the wallet that could have been avoided. K-Tec will continue to do business and have many a happy customer but sadly I won't be one of them. There's good and bad in all things - business, luck, life, ITB filters... time to roll with the punches and move on. :D

That's a hell of a run of bad luck there.

Did Matt say how or why the head could have got in such a state in the first place?

Honestly mate it's hard to say. As you may have read in my earlier updates, I've always had that feeling that it wasn't quite right from day one (confirmed by a few friends who had experience of what CS 172/182's should be like) but it still performed well and I've had many years enjoyment nonetheless. As you will have hopefully gathered from my write-ups I have showered a lot of care and attention on my Trophy and, despite the fact it does get driven "as intended", it has never been abused; always fully maintained and serviced with quality fluids, parts, and so forth and all mod's carefully thought about beforehand. We believe the head was probably in a poor way when I bought the car and of course this has deteriorated further still over time.

Filter update...

Matt contacted me this morning and informed me that, because I am still rollin' with the aircon, they are unable to machine and fit a backplated filter for the K-Tec ITB kit. As a result they are shipping me out one of their socks that doesn't shed foam into the trumpets. I will run with this setup until I decide what to do next (and when funds are looking a bit healthier!) I am pretty sure that I'll get the aircon removed and then ask Matt to supply me with the backplate and filter thereafter. I don't really use the aircon much at all (except as a dehumidifier in the winter) so I don't think I'll particularly miss it. I gather it isn't cheap to have it removed though...

Thanks all for the continued feedback. :D

Deja vu 182
Can t imagine how you felt after spending so much on itb s to then find out it needed the head off , glad your all sorted thank s to what sounds like a very well respected company . This is one of the best written threads on here :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
  Mondeo TDCI 130
Just had a quick scan through! Cracking motor! Matt makes me want an itb'd clio to be fair!!! he's a LEGEND, never met him, but spoke on the phone a fair few time's.

Glad it's sorted, lol @ breaking the cup!!!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Glad to hear you've got it all sorted now mate.:approve:

Cheers Fletch - now you know the reasons why the Trophy was a no-show at Combe! Hopefully she'll be making a fair few more in the future though...

Can t imagine how you felt after spending so much on itb s to then find out it needed the head off , glad your all sorted thank s to what sounds like a very well respected company . This is one of the best written threads on here :)

Thanks gav. Yeah, I felt pretty gutted when Matt detailed the state of the head to me and the work needed to correct the issues. TDF? Can't rate them highly enough after what they did for me - and would happily recommend them to anyone.

Very nice car mate, now i know why i want a clio sport :)

Go for it, mate. Perhaps the ClioSport demographic has changed somewhat over the years (as has the range of cheap hot hatches available) but you still get plenty of bang for your buck with a well looked-after (or indeed new) Clio Sport. All in my humble opinion of course! LOL! :D

Its not too bad: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?552996-JMS-Air-Con-Removal-Package-(PH2-RS)

Would have been considerably cheaper to do when you were having the cambelt re-done anyway though. Doh :dapprove:

Best engine mod i've made by a long shot.

Ah - cheers for the link and the recommendation. It looks like I'll be going down the "aircon removal" route some point this year then. Thank goodness I decided to get that credit card... LOL! In hindsight I'd have probably got the aircon removed whilst having the other work done if I'd known the filter/backplate combo wouldn't fit... Oh well - something else to look forward to; less weight and an increase of ooh 1bhp perhaps! :D

Just had a quick scan through! Cracking motor! Matt makes me want an itb'd clio to be fair!!! he's a LEGEND, never met him, but spoke on the phone a fair few time's.

Glad it's sorted, lol @ breaking the cup!!!

Don't laugh about the Cup, mate! Despite Matt's kind words (and reassurance that it could have happened anytime) I still feel bad simply by the fact it happened whilst in my possession. Oopsies! LOL!

glad it is finally sorted mate, get in touch if you need anything else :)

Can't thank you enough, Russ. I'll definitely be in touch and would like to hook up if possible now this better weather is coming along. It's been a while and I owe you a beer or two.

On the bright side Andy, at least your rocker cover is super sexy clean!

True dat! Every cloud and all that! I just have to try and keep it looking that way...