ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Mint mate very nice mods !! :approve::approve: and a great read .

Lovin the FOOTREST by the way !!;) :approve::approve:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
looks sweet. saw this at combe last year and was driving along side you on the m4 on the way home.

Cheers mate - apologies if I didn't wave or greet you. I was probably miles away and I seem to remember not feeling too good on the drive home... :blush: If you're at Combe again and you see us then come say 'hi'. :smiley:

Great car, pictures and write up a credit to the club.

very nice tidy car mate!!!

your camera's wicked!!!

love the detail and great camera work :wink:

great Project thread!

PSJ.

Lovely biscuits :up:

Thanks all - appreciate the kind words and feedback.

Mint mate very nice mods !! :up::up: and a great read .

Lovin the FOOTREST by the way !!:wink: :up::up:

Mate - that footrest is awesome! It's transformed the car. Thanks by the way... definitely a worthwhile mod. :wink:

very clean, were do you get the stickers from to put on your engine cover

The engine cover was a gift, but I believe it was painted by a guy named middo? He will likely be able to tell you as I don't know personally where to get the stickers from. Sorry!

Last edited:
  2002 Clio 1.2 Extreme
20100214_headunit01.jpg

what kenwood headunit is that, as it looks good and simple, exactly what im looking for

LY R26
lovely lovely trophy.

wish i had the time to keep mine in such good nick :(

mines parked outside and its boggin. need to clean it 2day

Suzuki Jimny
Love the car, saw you at a Kemble airfield day and you took some amazing pictures of my megane (with green alloys
Here is a pic I got of the trophy :)
SDC11315.jpg

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
really good read, car looks really well.

lovely lovely trophy.

wish i had the time to keep mine in such good nick 😧

mines parked outside and its boggin. need to clean it 2day

Thanks guys. The car treats me well so it's only fair I treat it well in return! LOL! dmn, best go and give it the quick once over as the road salt and other cr#p won't do it much good...

yea im always at combe in the sumer lol iv got sum piks of your car on stand aswell

Cool - nice one mate. In that case we'll probably cross paths again this year as we'll be there for various shows and events.

This Trophy is superb Your a credit to all the trophy drivers out there !

Very kind of you to say so mate - thank you.

Love the car, saw you at a Kemble airfield day and you took some amazing pictures of my megane (with green alloys
Here is a pic I got of the trophy :smile:

SDC11315.jpg

Hi Matt, thanks for posting up the pic you took. I do indeed remember your green-alloyed Meggy... you weren't hanging about! :wink:

I hope that Kemble can resolve some of the problems they are having with local residents so that they can continue with their airfield / track days...

thank you

:smiley: No problem!

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Just came across this thread and then spotted the 'T44 PHY' plate.Dont know if it was yourself or previous owner I bumped into at Renault in worcester?
Hi mate, it must have been a Trophy with a similar plate because I've never been to Renault Worcester... :D

Cheers and 'hi' all the same!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
March 2010
March is already here and we had our first Club event of the year earlier this month; a rolling road day at GotBoost in Llandow (as asked for by many members in the Club). I wasn't expecting any spectacular results as I had made no modifications to the Trophy over the winter (largely due to spending most of it in Perth, Western Australia) but thought I'd throw it on the rollers all the same.

20100307_gb01.jpg

20100307_gb02.jpg

Sadly there were a few issues with the rollers on the day (calibration issues) but it wasn't too far out when it came to my time to roll. The dyno graphs are shown below. I'm not sure what was going on with the power delivery as it seems very 'lumpy' and the AFR seems all over the place. Still, I'm not complaining as it was a good day out - a chance to meet up with friends old and new and the car is driving great anyway!

20100307_gbdyno01.jpg

20100307_gbdyno02.jpg

As I write this, the mileage has just crept over 60k so it's time I contacted Rentech to get it booked in and serviced. I've also got a few more minor updates coming over the next month or two (hopefully) all being well.

Last edited:
  Mk5 Ibiza Cupra
Brilliant read, lovely wee car you've got there!

Lyn sounds like the perfect woman!! I wish my girlfriend would buy me all these parts for my car! :rasp:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
April 2010
April has been a bit of a busy month and there have been a few changes to the Trophy over the last few weeks. As with most things performance car related, it's not been too kind on the wallet... but I'm more than happy with the results I've seen from the various work that has gone on recently. Please read on to find out what's been going on recently with the T...

April is the month in which Castle Combe Circuit hold their annual Spring Performance Car Action Day and, as per usual, we had decided to have a Club stand for our members. Obviously I was looking to put my Trophy on display (and wanting it to look as good as possible) but there were a few things that needed addressing. Most notably, parts of the paintwork had started to oxidise very slightly and the red sheen had started to wash out and look more pink-ish. Additionally, there were also a few minor swirl marks that needed attention - although these weren't too bad as the Trophy (despite being driven hard) does get lovingly looked after! Rather than have a got at cleaning and detailing the car myself I decided to enlist the help of a friend and Club member - James at Ti22 (http://ti22.co.uk).

I booked the Trophy in with James for the day before the show (for a full correction detail) and planned to drop the car off the evening before that. And that's when things started to go wrong!

On the evening that I was to drop the car off with James, I pulled up outside his business premises and promptly kerbed my alloys...! I wasn't best impressed and the grinding sound of Turini meeting kerb was not a pleasant one. A quick inspection followed and the alloys, surprisingly, had a few chunks missing - along with a good few layers of lacquer and Anthracite Turini. Oops indeed. If there was to be some good news, it was the fact that there was a tyre and exhaust place a couple of streets down and the fact that I had a spare brand-new set of Turini's at home. The downside was that it was late and the garage was closed so I'd have to contact them in the morning and see if they could help me out. Leaving the Trophy with James I returned home for the night.

turinis.jpg

I loaded my new Turini's into the Fiesta (our runabout car) and got up early Friday morning to make my way to the tyre and exhaust place. (Thankfully I have a very understanding boss as I should have been in work that Friday morning...) I sat outside the garage and waited for the owner to arrive. When he did arrive I approached him and explained the situation. To be honest, I wasn't expecting a favourable reply but that's exactly what I got! He simply told me to bring around the alloys/tyres as and when I was ready and he'd swap them over to the new set for me. As a result of their help I was back in business - so I think the least I can do is a big shout-out and "thank you" to Beechwood Tyres and Exhausts (Newport, Gwent). Gareth, Dave and Owen - you're all legends! With the tyres and alloys now sorted, I had a bit of a chat with James and then made my way (late) into work. I was very much looking forward to picking up the car later that evening and seeing the results.

I wasn't disappointed when I made my way back to Ti22 that evening for the pick-up. Even under the dark evening sky, the Trophy looked better than ever before. It had a deeper glossy red shine and the Swissvax treatment had worked wonders. I really couldn't thank James enough. Even some of the faded plastics had come back quite nicely, too.

ti22_detail.jpg

The Trophy looked great the next day at Castle Combe and the glorious weather made it even better. I was really impressed with James' work and would not hesitate to recommend him. His work is top-drawer and he's a real nice guy as well. With that I'd like to express my thanks to James (http://ti22.co.uk). I'm sure those that saw the Trophy at Combe would agree that it looked pretty good (even if the stone chips adorning the front do give a little indication as to the real reason I bought this car!)

Around mid-April, I contacted K-TEC Racing with a view to having a few items of work carried out on the car (including a 60k mile service). I was very impressed with their quick response and friendly replies to my questions and queries and couldn't wait to get the Trophy down there. It was going to be a long two week wait...

Two weeks later I took the day off work and set off early to make the journey from Wales to Dorset. The weather was good but sadly the traffic wasn't and I soon found myself snared up in stop/start traffic - even at that exceptionally early hour. Thankfully I had allowed plenty of time for this and arrived at KTR in good time. I was greeted by Daryl and soon had a much needed coffee in my hand! Shortly after that, my car was taken into the workshop and I took the opportunity to relax a little as the work was being carried out... (I had planned on getting some photos if possible but my camera wasn't working; I think it was a dodgy lens connection).

So - what did I have done?

ktr_montage01.png

I had the air filter element replaced with an ITG performance element (I thought it was about time I got rid of the old one). I also had uprated engine mounts fitted, including the upper gearbox mount. I had started to notice a fair bit of 'movement' over previous months (and a greater loss of traction when accelerating hard) hence the reason to go with the uprated mounts.

ktr_montage02.png

Engine-wise, I also opted to have the CNC matched inlet work carried out. I'd been looking to have this done for a while and saw no point in waiting any longer! To accompany this the PTFE gasket kit was installed (cylinder head to lower manifold gasket and manifold to plenum gasket). With a bit of luck this will help keep the temperatures down a little and, in conjunction with the port matching, offer a mild performance increase and improved throttle response.

ktr_montage03.png

As already mentioned, I also had the 60k service carried out and had the uprated Powerflex polybush kit installed along with the uprated engine mounts. To cap it all off, I also took the opportunity to have KTR remap the car to make the best of my current modifications (in their new custom-built dyno cell). Being realistic I wasn't expecting too much in the way gains and was hoping more for an improvement in the throttle response (which I'll get onto shortly).

Below is the dyno readout showing the performance gain from the remap.

ktr_dyno_20100428.jpg

As can be seen in the graph above, I've got a nice little increase in both horsepower and torque across the rev range. The increase in torque (coupled with the improved throttle response) made for a grin-inducing drive back home to Wales! In a nutshell, the Trophy is now driving and pulling better than I've ever known it to. When I plant my foot it now instantly picks up and the traction is noticeably improved, too. The biggest surprise was the in-gear difference that the modifications have made; again with the pick-up and power delivery much more evident and welcome. The way in which the power is delivered is also smoother and a quick glance of the speedo suggests that it might be wise to pay more attention to it until I've become more akin to the different feel that the car now gives me.

Sure, the car may have a bit more vibration in the cabin with having the uprated mounts fitted - but this is a very minor thing and something that doesn't concern me. The car is in great shape, it's driving beautifully and I'm chuffed to bits with this latest round of modifications. What next I wonder...?

A big "thank you" to K-TEC Racing for their excellent service and work (and I hope you don't mind that I used a few of your images from your excellent new website...)

Thanks for looking. More updates as and when they happen...

Last edited:
  One Phat Clio
Beauuutiful car, properly smart.

How much was in on the Dyno to inrease BHP?

Cheer bud, o by the way, im buying the same headunit as you, my mate has one ive been looking for ages, good choice!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Beauuutiful car, properly smart.
Cheers mate - glad you like it and thanks for your reply.

How much was in on the Dyno to inrease BHP?
I'm not quite sure what you mean dude... are you asking how much of an increase I've seen in power with these latest mods? Or do you mean something else? :eek:

Cheer bud, o by the way, im buying the same headunit as you, my mate has one ive been looking for ages, good choice!
It's a pretty cool headunit to be honest. I wasn't sure at first but it looked good and works with i-Phone, USB sticks, etc. so I decided to get it. I have no complaints so far and it's worked flawlessly. :D

LY R26
if you dont mind me asking, from one trophy to another, how much were the matched inlets? and do you feel a difference?

your trophy makes me sad! :( its so beautiful, mine looks abit "tired" paint work needs a good detail and correction

One Phat Clio
How much have you noticed personally with the power gains? AND,
How much money did it cost you to to put it on the Dyno and incrase the cars power?

Im new to the Dyno game and quite interested

Cheers :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Bloody hell, that is immaculate!
Cheers mate... it looks alright until you get close to it then you see all the stone chips! It's even got a dent in the bonnet as of yesterday courtesy of a truck hurling a rather large stone at it. Suffice to say it chipped and dented the bonnet before taking a chunk out of the windscreen, too. Oh well. :S

if you dont mind me asking, from one trophy to another, how much were the matched inlets? and do you feel a difference?

your trophy makes me sad! :( its so beautiful, mine looks abit "tired" paint work needs a good detail and correction
No mate - I don't mind you asking. The best thing is to take a look at the K-TEC Racing website - click here - as that is what I had done and the price I paid (plus fitting and obviously I had other work done, too).

It's hard to say what sort of difference it (the matched inlets) made simply because there was a fair bit of other work that contributed to the overall improvements and gains. As I understand it the difference may be negligible or it may free up a handful of horses; there is no real guarantee with this mod. However, I would get it done alongside other things (as I did alongside the PTFE gaskets and remap for example). Sorry I cannot be anymore specific than that mate.

How much have you noticed personally with the power gains? AND,
How much money did it cost you to to put it on the Dyno and incrase the cars power?

Im new to the Dyno game and quite interested

Cheers :)
Dean, I have noticed a significant improvement in performance to be fair. Since I had this done last week I've covered some 700 miles and noticed that the performance has even upped a little more over that distance (which is a very nice and welcome surprise). The improvement is across the whole range but moreso in the mid-range (which is where I wanted it). I think the uprated mounts have gone some way in improving things though as the Trophy seems to put down the power much better in terms of greater traction. Rather than pick a particular 'thing' I believe it's more a case that all the mod's I've had done have come together nicely.

If you are looking to simply get a dyno reading for your car as it is (a baseline figure is a great idea if you're looking to modify it) then look to pop along on a dyno day and you can get a couple of 'runs' for £25-£45 (as a guide). Try and choose a respected dyno/tuner and try and use that same dyno for future visits as and when you've had work carried out...

To put it on the dyno at K-TEC, I opted for the Group N specification remap (click here for more details including price, etc). I wanted to get the most out of the mods I had done that day as well as the already existing mods I'd done - such as the exhaust and sport cat. It's not a cheap option but it's worth getting it on the dyno and remapped by a respected tuner when you've had work carried out; it just makes the most of what you've spent your hard-earned on.

Interestingly, the dyno result I got at K-TEC is the lowest I've ever had for my Trophy (by almost 10bhp). But, the important thing (as I can't stress enough) is the gain you see before and after work has been done. I saw an increase of 5-6bhp and 4-8ftlb torque purely from the remap alone. I'm not sure how much difference the other mods made. However, my 'regular' dyno is at PowerStation so I will be visiting them at some point to see how my graphs shape up now. At PowerStation my baseline figure is ~180bhp (on THEIR setup) so I'm hoping to maybe see a mid- to high-180's with a bit of luck. We shall see.

A final note - don't get too hung up on the figures and go chasing them. As I say, my reading was the lowest I've had yet but I can confirm the car is driving better than ever. My real-world 'measure' is our (my partner's) modified Type-R and (whilst the modified Type-R *is* the quicker car) the Trophy is no longer left eating it's dust and may even have the edge on the uphill stretches!

Cheers.

One Phat Clio
wow cheers for the info man great help much appreciation, im glad your happy, worth the effort for such a mint car

Dean :)