ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The "Ive taken a pic and I kinda like it" thread

'03 MCS, MKV Ed30
7173626217_d74792cc23_z.jpg

Jamie's 330ci M Sport by CJGREEN., on Flickr

Wow, cheers guys!
I was crapping myself taking the shot as there was no kind of protection up there, just a straight drop down 11 floors onto the roundabout!

RB 182
Some great shots uploaded since my last visit.

Scott - Regarding the whole aperture thing, landscapes I never drop to f/5, ever. My landscapes, and more so sunsets and rises, are almost always shot f/16-f/20, or if I have some prominent foreground, i'll shoot f/9-f/11....i'm not saying this is right nor wrong, but it never fails me (this is shooting UWA Sigma 10-20).

The first one here for example, f/18 and tack sharp front to back.....

Here's a couple more from me...

7171760493_952daff6df_z.jpg

Loch Lomond sunrise by Martin Steele., on Flickr

7362124198_9fe147e377_z.jpg

Eilean Donan Castle by Martin Steele., on Flickr

7172051339_bb6bddf277_z.jpg

The boathouse by Martin Steele., on Flickr

Fiesta ST-3

Scott - Regarding the whole aperture thing, landscapes I never drop to f/5, ever. My landscapes, and more so sunsets and rises, are almost always shot f/16-f/20, or if I have some prominent foreground, i'll shoot f/9-f/11....i'm not saying this is right nor wrong, but it never fails me (this is shooting UWA Sigma 10-20).

Thanks mate.

Martin I think you may be confusing sharpness with depth of field.

Some notes on sharpness below that can be found on google. Note how the below notes correspond directly to the canon/sigma 10-20 MTF chart (attached) unfortunately the chart only goes to F11 but you can see the sharpness drop off already by F11 over F8. By f16-f22 its significantly lower again.

As a rough rule of thumb F5.6 -F8 should get everything in focus and will generally be the sharpest apertures to use for across frame sharpness landscapes. I might drop to F11 if I have foreground interest for increased depth of field.

mtf.gif

“Sweet Spot” / Optimal f-number:

All lenses have an aperture setting, or range, that is called a "sweet spot" for sharpness. Each lens is different, but as a general rule of thumb, the sharpest images are taken with the aperture 2 f/stops down from the widest opening. So if your camera has a lens which is wide open at f/2.8, then the "sweet spot" will be two stops down to f/5.6.

But what many photographers don't realize is that you will also get "softer" images with the aperture at its smallest opening, due to diffraction (light rays get slightly "bent' as they squeeze through very small apertures, resulting in you getting progressively less sharp images beyond a certain aperture). When you use smaller apertures (larger f-numbers) to achieve a greater depth of field, at some point the aperture size will cause some softening due to the effects of diffraction.

Here's a couple more from me...

7171760493_952daff6df_z.jpg

Loch Lomond sunrise by Martin Steele., on Flickr

7362124198_9fe147e377_z.jpg

Eilean Donan Castle by Martin Steele., on Flickr

7172051339_bb6bddf277_z.jpg

The boathouse by Martin Steele., on Flickr

RB 182
Martin I think you may be confusing sharpness with depth of field.

Some notes on sharpness below that can be found on google. Note how the below notes correspond directly to the canon/sigma 10-20 MTF chart (attached) unfortunately the chart only goes to F11 but you can see the sharpness drop off already by F11 over F8. By f16-f22 its significantly lower again.

As a rough rule of thumb F5.6 -F8 should get everything in focus and will generally be the sharpest apertures to use for across frame sharpness landscapes. I might drop to F11 if I have foreground interest for increased depth of field.

View attachment 79845

“Sweet Spot” / Optimal f-number:

All lenses have an aperture setting, or range, that is called a "sweet spot" for sharpness. Each lens is different, but as a general rule of thumb, the sharpest images are taken with the aperture 2 f/stops down from the widest opening. So if your camera has a lens which is wide open at f/2.8, then the "sweet spot" will be two stops down to f/5.6.

But what many photographers don't realize is that you will also get "softer" images with the aperture at its smallest opening, due to diffraction (light rays get slightly "bent' as they squeeze through very small apertures, resulting in you getting progressively less sharp images beyond a certain aperture). When you use smaller apertures (larger f-numbers) to achieve a greater depth of field, at some point the aperture size will cause some softening due to the effects of diffraction.

I do believe you are correct. I'd had a long ass, bad day with no sleep when I posted LOL! :)

For landscape shots, unless I'm trying to get the longest shutter speed possible, then I'll be anywhere between f8-f11. That's the general 'sweet spot' for most lenses.

You shouldn't really be using really large or small apertures for landscape shots.

For landscape shots, unless I'm trying to get the longest shutter speed possible, then I'll be anywhere between f8-f11. That's the general 'sweet spot' for most lenses.

You shouldn't really be using really large or small apertures for landscape shots.

Your spot on for full frame;)

us poverty spec aps-c users need to drop back a stop so f8-11 on full frame equates to f5.6-8 on aps-c.

Nice shot Niall.

Couple of points

- CLEAN YOUR CAMERA! ;)
- I would try to warm up the top of the photo to remove the strong colour cast from your GND filter.

EDIT" oh....you changed the pic

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Dan, Just as I posted this I noticed the HORRIFIC amount of dust marks on the pic, I always make sure the sensor stays clean by taking appropriate measures when changing lenses, which is a real let down :( Its quite embarrassing the amount of dust on this photo, makes me look like a noob who dosn’t have a clue what sensor dust is:eek: Looks like some little particles of Tenerife have found their way inside my camera, so I’m making sure that gets sorted. And yeah I’ll have a fiddle again in light room.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks :) Glad I managed to recover the shot! and It did, I don’t fancy doing it for every long exposure I do, so I’m going to invest in one of those Gitzo’s Rocket Blowers and see if I can remove some of the dust, if that doesn’t work then its paying to get it done.

Not fancy using sensor swabs? That's what I use.

They don't get 100% of the crap off, but for you I'm pretty sure one pass of those would significantly improve your sensor.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh yes, I forgot about those, I’ll get some of those then, I’d guess they’d be more effective than the Rocket blower too?

Yes, as they are physically touching the sensor, so they wipe the crud off.

Blowers are useful for removing the larger stuff, but some of the crap sticks to the sensor, so it won't be removed.

I'd try those first, a much cheaper alternative to sending it away for sure!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah definatly! A quick question, do you have to use the cleaning solution or can you just use the swab? because I’m not sure I trust myself with the cleaning solution