ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 'I work in I.T' thread

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Right. Quick one for you IT guys as I didn't know where else to put this...

Getting fibre put into the house tomorrow. Currently we have a sky router and a phone line to it from the phone in socket. As the router is in the middle of the house, we're using an extension cable under the carpet to get the connection.

New router has arrived (EE/BT) and this is the back of it.
20240207_142838.jpg

In the box is a 1m WAN lead. Is this the same as a stand ethernet cable and is that what connects the router to the new fibre box the will be installing? I have a long ethernet cable which I can use if so, or do I need to go and get a longer WAN cable before the engineer arrives tomorrow?

Cheers.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it's the same. Just make sure you're using a cat 5e or cat 6 cable if you're getting fibre installed
How the f**k do I tell that if I've already got a long one 🤣

It's only going to the PS5. At the moment everything else will be WiFi until I get a mesh system which will then hopefully go through WiFi and cables if the boxes have ports.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
f**k knows why I said it's going to the PS5. That's only using a 1m one as the router is close to it.
It's going from the "in" socket to the router.

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
1707318398842.jpeg

The older cables are a tad bulkier

I have a new lesson this week, after a bit of testing, both Crowdstrike falcon and Bitdefender are completely worthless against data exfiltration

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers. Mines blank, the full 5m of it 🤣

It's a flat cable too. Might just invest in a new one anyway.
Falt stuff is s**t anyway and usually flat stuff is cat 6 or 7
I've not seen a 'non' cat5e cable since ww2.
One of our platforms at work was installed when I was still in primary school... The red cat5 that it was installed with is now a light pink :ROFLMAO: c***s can't even figure out how to migrate it without totally f**king everything too

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
Crowdstrike.... security theatre??? I won't have it...

You talking about logging / blocking downloads etc?
It's terrible software, been tasked by a new customer i'm onboarding to do a dabble of security testing.
5 minutes on the phone now have a users logins, as soon as out off hours hits into the system, pop off a few sketchy powershell scripts querying data and uploading to eastern european based server.
it's going to be a long week.🤦‍♂️

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
@sUpErShOoTeRs 46 turns out the flat cable I have, although no marks on it, is s**t. Who'd have guessed....

I think it's that which is limiting my speed anyway. Only getting 98mb download to the router then to other wired devices, unless it takes a while to bring the speeds up to 500?

I've ordered a new Cat 6 cable anyway. I did drive to Currys but they wanted silly prices. I'll probably need to order another tbh to go back from the router to the PS5.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
@sUpErShOoTeRs 46 turns out the flat cable I have, although no marks on it, is s**t. Who'd have guessed....

I think it's that which is limiting my speed anyway. Only getting 98mb download to the router then to other wired devices, unless it takes a while to bring the speeds up to 500?

I've ordered a new Cat 6 cable anyway. I did drive to Currys but they wanted silly prices. I'll probably need to order another tbh to go back from the router to the PS5.
Cat 5 is only rated for 100mb

When your new cable comes try it again and see what happens mate. It might just be down to that cable being old and w**k

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Had a good one earlier from a BA of all people..

We have 35 numbers and want a fully functioning voip solution without any overheads at all. We don’t want teams voice as it’s too expensive. Can you sort a phone system away from 3cx. We don’t want to host anything. Or have anything hosted either. We also want to drop our SIP.

f**king. Help. Me.

FreePBX is probably the cheapest phone system you can get. We use a mixture of that, Teams and Gamma Horizon.

E39 530i
I've been in IT for about 20 years, done all the roles, but now happily doing 3rd line within the infrastructure department in education. Doing alot of security work at the moment. Anyone worked with Cyberark?

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I've been in IT for about 20 years, done all the roles, but now happily doing 3rd line within the infrastructure department in education. Doing alot of security work at the moment. Anyone worked with Cyberark?
Yeah, and beyond trust/bomgar.

I hate them all tbh. Especially as a user too.

340i

Yes, used for a number of years to manage elevated / service accounts.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Currently implementing a Citrix via Azure VMs. What a interesting project its turned out to be.
GPOS are a disaster and unreliable at times it seems with domain joined azure vms.
How annoying Microsoft and Citrix.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Currently implementing a Citrix via Azure VMs. What a interesting project its turned out to be.
GPOS are a disaster and unreliable at times it seems with domain joined azure vms.
How annoying Microsoft and Citrix.
I have spent a significant portion of my life typing gpupdate /force
Good luck!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I have spent a significant portion of my life typing gpupdate /force
Good luck!

Years ago I was involved in a shitrix deployment on thin clients (s**t loads of them). I tried at the time to get the client to stick with a laptop model or go to AVD but they pushed ahead with citrix.

It was an absolute s**t show