ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Good, The Best & The Ugly

A Few
Ok.. I have to admit it... I am ever so slightly obsessed with Mk 2 Clio Sports! It seems I have no love for any other car right now, lost interest in other marques and can barely identify modern cars on the road! As part of my "self-help therapy" for "Clio Obsession", I thought i'd chat a little.. about plans for them....(as my friends have stopped listening...understandably). So here we have: The Good, The Best & The Ugly.

"The Good" Clio 172 Pearl Black
clio pic turinis 2.jpg

"The Best" Clio 172 Monaco
monaco wash.JPG

And wait for it............ THE UGLY
ugly.JPG

So currently, I am on a mission to make "The Good" and "The Best" kinda perfect, sometimes with the help of "The Ugly". Just so you know, Ugly is just a spares car, so don't get overwhelmed with rage and hatred at the Ktec Grill! The original grill is having a black refurb.

My main focus right now, is the Monaco 172, purchased in April with 60,000 on clock and the only mod, a 182 exhaust manifold. First job, a trip to Engine Dynamics for Major Service, Cambelt Kit, Dephaser, Aux Belt Kit and Water Pump. Also fitted a Ktec Sports Cat (one that fits the 182 manifold, but fits 172 exhaust) and added Ktec Stealth Exhaust. Clean bill of health given and its said to be "a good one"... phew!! Whilst safe in the knowledge the car is mechanically sound, the bodywork needs improvement. I had all the car parking dents removed, but future plans include a new bonnet, and a visit to the spray booth! But I do have some goodies ready for this car...
IMG_0842.JPG

Five newly refurbished Silver Turinis, Snappy Wheel and newly sprayed Cup spoiler and Engine Cover.... Currently saving for Michelin PS3's!

A Few
IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1202.JPG
I wonder how long "ugly" will continue to serve us well... Always the subject of all our jokes.... but always makes us chuckle.. Surprised he hasn't thrown a valve!

A Few
IMG_1242.JPG
IMG_1243.JPG
So not much progress as such... just more refurbished items for two 172's
I got me some sparkly powder coating...
Finally got enough money together to get PS3 tyres fitted on newly sparkly Turini's so the Monaco will be getting a makeover soon! Will add more then...when I've finally achieved something!

A Few
One inlet with one fuel guard was £35.
I've since had the wording on one manifold metal/machine polished to reveal the shiny lettering again.

A Few
Very nice doing it twice tho sounds pricey lol
Indeed! Everything is pricey when you're trying to make two cars near mint - double trouble!! I had them done at different weeks to spread cost! Will be worth it though!

Last edited:
  A Few
So last week the "good" black 172 had a trip to Engine Dynamics for Cambelt, dephaser, waterpump and alt belt kit. Plus oil and filter change and vehicle inspection. I also had fitted, a new dog bone, gearbox mount, engine mount and goodridge braided brake hoses. It came back also having had the engine mount bracket, top inlet manifold and fuel rail guard swapped for the freshly powder coated silver ones. Overwhelmed by its fresh look, I forgot to take a photo... doh! Will get one next time.
Today, time for alittle car DIY... The Monaco had started to use copious amounts of fuel, smelled strong of petrol and not running quite as well. Today we fitted four new injectors and both oxygen sensors. It's rectified the overfueling and now is running spot on. It's booked in for an MOT Monday, and I'm hoping it sails through as already spent £1000 in 2 weeks on clios!
These cars are certainly fine examples of the 172, but my mission over the next year or two is "near mint"!
The ugly "spares" car is up for sale as a complete car, to fund further improvements on the other two.

Attachments

• IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 34