ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The endless battle against Understeer

Ph2 Clio 172
Oh don't worry, I am under no impression that I am a good track driver :D

I will sort out some tuition for my next track day.

Oh don't worry, I am under no impression that I am a good track driver :D

I will sort out some tuition for my next track day.

It even helps good ones ..... but better still the car will love you for it as your not as hard on the car

182cup & 172 racecar
I think a few guy's found this out at Llandow when we took them out.

So many people's approach to driving quickly, is just so, so wrong.

Its funny when they go silent ......

And as for driving in the wet I know a fair few very good racers who still cant get there head round finding grip .... you can always tell the karters as they always can .

I must make a landow day ... and one of your tintop rounds ....

Clio 172 cup + 325ci
had my first trackday experience a few weeks ago and suffered the same results..pleanty of understeer.I would put 90% of it down to my in experience and the other 10 down to me not knowing the optimum damping settings for my coilovers,didnt adjust tyre pressures either.
Was getting about 10 different bits of advice about the damper settings lol

rock hard on the back,soft on the front
soft on the back,hard on front,
rock hard all round etc etc

Had my camber set up at 1 deg neg as shes a daily so i thought any more might be too much on the road? and also was running yoko s-drives which are by no means a great tyre.

Suspension wise im running BC coilovers with all new wishbones,track rod ends,ball joints and brakes are brembo hc with ebc yellowstuff pads and brand new rear discs with yellowstuff pads so to my ingnorance i was expecting to be flying around with no issues but understeer was a problem.

Have another track day in May so the plan is to get better tyres,a bit more camber,keep an eye on tyre pressures,play around with the dampers and hopefully with a bit more practice i hope to see some improvement.

If anyone has any other suggestions im more than happy to listen :)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
had my first trackday experience a few weeks ago and suffered the same results..pleanty of understeer.I would put 90% of it down to my in experience and the other 10 down to me not knowing the optimum damping settings for my coilovers,didnt adjust tyre pressures either.
Was getting about 10 different bits of advice about the damper settings lol

rock hard on the back,soft on the front
soft on the back,hard on front,
rock hard all round etc etc

Had my camber set up at 1 deg neg as shes a daily so i thought any more might be too much on the road? and also was running yoko s-drives which are by no means a great tyre.

Suspension wise im running BC coilovers with all new wishbones,track rod ends,ball joints and brakes are brembo hc with ebc yellowstuff pads and brand new rear discs with yellowstuff pads so to my ingnorance i was expecting to be flying around with no issues but understeer was a problem.

Have another track day in May so the plan is to get better tyres,a bit more camber,keep an eye on tyre pressures,play around with the dampers and hopefully with a bit more practice i hope to see some improvement.

If anyone has any other suggestions im more than happy to listen :)

Read this thread from start to end.

What you're looking to change above will address 10% of your problem. Reading this thread and opening your mind to learning and improving will address the other 90%.

WRX

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
For those prices look up simon mason ....top driver coach to and nice guy

Cheers mate will look into him then, cheers.

Adamm whilst I'm sure it will help and you will learn quite a lot. When you book most trackdays coaching is available and a 20 minute session is often free, at most £25. So the equivilant comes to £75 tops on your first track day. Just worth thinking about mate.

Cheers for the pointer mate I'll probably try this as well on my first track day then :).