ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Cup has gone long live the Ph1

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Congrats on number 3 mate[emoji106].
Are you bringing the clio to CSF? Would be nice to see it in the metal and to meet you too.
Cheers @OssPoop ? Am hoping to come, haven't made one so far and am pretty sure I am around then, am going to try and make more things the rest of this year if possible ?

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Few more bits done today and a much needed wash ? first of all before the wash fitted a few of the bit's I have been collecting.

New rear numberplate light - before
42394201901_4706dc195d_b.jpg

After
42394200371_1b7f56d9dd_b.jpg

New amber side indicators - before
27523692017_41d82199b0_b.jpg

After
40585730180_f2a1222265_b.jpg

New amber front indicator bulbs - before
40585729400_9ae52b25e0_b.jpg

After
27523690447_86964697c1_b.jpg

Also got some pics of the new rear bumper now I have given the car a wash, colour match looks great so far and it's in great condition, a lot better condition than the old one that I removed
40585727600_8462a7dc70_b.jpg

40585726880_bf0d0047e6_b.jpg

40585726130_a6c58814da_b.jpg

Then managed to grab some pics after a quick drive out this evening ?
40585724970_b8124f360f_b.jpg

40585723770_50a09cf632_b.jpg

27523687037_3d17fe9560_b.jpg

28520796498_9ba2a991a0_b.jpg

]
28520795398_853675f07b_b.jpg

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Looks sooo much better with the amber sides and bulbs, bumper looks great too mate!
Ambers had to be done, think it works really well on the silver and helps break it up a bit, bumper was sprayed when I bought it and luckily colour match looks good which was a bit of a result, have some other bit's to do just have to get round to them ?

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Gave it a good wash this weekend, wanted to clay/polish/wax as well but didn't get chance to but I did manage to de-sticky the silver centre console, wished I hadn't started half way through but it looks great and isn't sticky anymore which is a result, need to do the door pulls next ?

41840992694_02dc8a4d47_b.jpg

Dropped car off today to get new clutch fitted, dogbone polybushed and timing checked (I believe the timing is out so will be interesting to see how far out once it's been looked at) it will also have new spark plugs, oil, oil filter & cabin filter. While I was there fitted the new surround I bought for the rear windscreen wiper (After seeing @Ant1 on his exclusive thread) I did try fitting the other day but the wiper was stuck solid on the spindle so needed some gentle persuasion, didn't get a finished pic but this was during and the offensive old one ?

42563080221_4cda714481_b.jpg

42511235102_7489a218a0_b.jpg

Have ordered a window regulator clip as my passenger window has been dropping ever so slightly when releasing the button when it get's to the top, have also ordered a new coolant bottle which I will replace when I pick the car back up, am also getting a couple of other bit's investigated while it's in, can't wait to get it back

Quick pic as I left it at Alex's, Renault sports all over the drive as always ?

42511233272_8fcae5e066_b.jpg

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Looks great!! What’s the mileage on her?
Just over 80k so not low low but not high either, only a couple of owners and history, it was in good condition when I bought it so much better all round than my last Ph1 especially the interior and just want to look after it and enjoy it, especially as they get rarer, if it goes up in value that would just be a bonus ?

Its looking better with every post Gareth! All the little bits that I would have done if i'd been able to have kept it as a 2nd/3rd car!...... Things like the amber bulbs & side repeaters, rear bumper & number plate light are all subtle, but add up to quite a change in the crispness of the car's O/A appearance.

Good work on removing the 'sticky' stuff on the silver vent surrounds.... that always bothered me, it was never grubby & entirely horrible looking (like most Ph1s) - but I always tried to avoid touching it & being very gentle when cleaning around the cabin. Something else that always made me wonder, is the fact that the binnacle above (with the clock & radio display) doesn't seem to sit quite square to the dash below, I never got round to investigating it, but i'm sure it might be something you could sort at some point?

Its funny, in year of owning UGC, (aside from my mate's Exclusive - which he still owned at the time) I think I only ever saw two other Ph1 RS Clios on the road... one of those was on the journey home after picking the car up from the previous owner near Aylesbury.... the 2nd was about a week later on the outskirts of Kettering (both were silver)..... I can't say I've seen another one since!..... In fact - even Ph2 172/182s are becoming a rarer sight these day too!

DSC01833.JPG

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Its looking better with every post Gareth! All the little bits that I would have done if i'd been able to have kept it as a 2nd/3rd car!...... Things like the amber bulbs & side repeaters, rear bumper & number plate light are all subtle, but add up to quite a change in the crispness of the car's O/A appearance.

Good work on removing the 'sticky' stuff on the silver vent surrounds.... that always bothered me, it was never grubby & entirely horrible looking (like most Ph1s) - but I always tried to avoid touching it & being very gentle when cleaning around the cabin. Something else that always made me wonder, is the fact that the binnacle above (with the clock & radio display) doesn't seem to sit quite square to the dash below, I never got round to investigating it, but i'm sure it might be something you could sort at some point?

Its funny, in year of owning UGC, (aside from my mate's Exclusive - which he still owned at the time) I think I only ever saw two other Ph1 RS Clios on the road... one of those was on the journey home after picking the car up from the previous owner near Aylesbury.... the 2nd was about a week later on the outskirts of Kettering (both were silver)..... I can't say I've seen another one since!..... In fact - even Ph2 172/182s are becoming a rarer sight these day too!

View attachment 1369062
It's getting there ? it was a good start I am just adding to it, will be good to get it back with a new clutch as that needed doing and hopefully get to the bottom of a couple of the other bit's. I hadn't noticed about the clock binnacle thing, will investigate and see what that is, not sure if that's removed separately or not although the fact it isn't quite level might suggest it can be ?

I don't see many Renault Sports around at all really but especially not Ph1's can't remember the last time I saw one, I remember seeing a V6 Clio coming in the opposite direction when I had mine and thinking that must be what it looks like seeing it on the road ? I did used to get my wife to drive the V6 a lot so I could hear it burbling down the street, it's where my love of Renault's comes from

It's getting there ? it was a good start I am just adding to it, will be good to get it back with a new clutch as that needed doing and hopefully get to the bottom of a couple of the other bit's. I hadn't noticed about the clock binnacle thing, will investigate and see what that is, not sure if that's removed separately or not although the fact it isn't quite level might suggest it can be ?

I don't see many Renault Sports around at all really but especially not Ph1's can't remember the last time I saw one, I remember seeing a V6 Clio coming in the opposite direction when I had mine and thinking that must be what it looks like seeing it on the road ? I did used to get my wife to drive the V6 a lot so I could hear it burbling down the street, it's where my love of Renault's comes from

Sorry.... the slightly askew binnacle will play on your mind now ? Its funny, Matt (who previously owned your Clio) was also an ex-owner of a V6 Clio - a car i'd love to experience... despite being 'just' a Renault Clio, they do have the touch of the 'exotic' about them, but they are very expensive these days! How does a V6 compare to a 172?

The clutch has (IMO) always needed doing - the release springs have obviously work-hardened - it never slipped but meant the pedal was always very stiff, I think that once the new clutch & dogbone bushes are fitted it will really be a joy to drive!?

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Sorry.... the slightly askew binnacle will play on your mind now ? Its funny, Matt (who previously owned your Clio) was also an ex-owner of a V6 Clio - a car i'd love to experience... despite being 'just' a Renault Clio, they do have the touch of the 'exotic' about them, but they are very expensive these days! How does a V6 compare to a 172?

The clutch has (IMO) always needed doing - the release springs have obviously work-hardened - it never slipped but meant the pedal was always very stiff, I think that once the new clutch & dogbone bushes are fitted it will really be a joy to drive!?
Luckily the car isn't here otherwise I would probably be out there seeing what I can do about the binnacle ? V6 while not that much if any quicker than a 182 was just a lot more of an occasion, just getting in with the engine behind you and all the noises associated with that felt great and drove a lot differently to a 182. Was great driving with engine covers off then you could hear gears engaging, stones pinging around, I also didn't have any seat of my pants moments that the V6 was famous for although I am sure if it went with the short wheelbase and hardly any steering lock you would have had to have been a hero to save it. Miss that car on a daily basis, maybe one day I may get another one if they haven't kept going up in value by then!

Clutch will be great, like you say never slipped but bite is right at the top of the pedal so time for a new one, looking forward to getting it back, hopefully soon

That's a really good list of things to get sorted mate all in one hit, will last a while then hopefully. With every post this is getting better and better............. this is the car that makes me really fancy a phase 1 haha especially in silver. Maybe one day one can be a garage buddy for mine! Forgot you had a V6, EPIC!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
That's a really good list of things to get sorted mate all in one hit, will last a while then hopefully. With every post this is getting better and better............. this is the car that makes me really fancy a phase 1 haha especially in silver. Maybe one day one can be a garage buddy for mine! Forgot you had a V6, EPIC!
It was epic, back before responsibilities and children ? can't wait to get the Ph1 back, have also bought some other bit's for it which I now can't wait to get fitted, I don't have lot's of pics of the V6 but any excuse to post some especially while the Ph1 isn't here ?

3988280128_a8d3fe5e49_o.jpg

3987520477_90303d977a_o.jpg

3988278900_998036f518_o.jpg

3987568255_c82487b9dc_o.jpg

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
That plate is just plain beyond awesome! Man points ?
Lovely car mate

Unfortunately plate wasn't mine although it took a few months to transfer once I had bought car so rocked it for that time, perfect plate for the car, think it got transferred on to another Clio V6 that the same person owned in black. Maybe one day I will have another they are great cars

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I haven't seen the Ph1 since I dropped it off at Alex's, unfortunately it's not ready to come back yet although I am going and helping doing some bit's on it tomorrow. Nothing has happened that has added to the list or slowed the process down just life getting in the way unfortunately, what can you do ? hopefully have an update tomorrow and a date for it coming back so I can get some driving done in it ? have also been buying more things that need fitting so with a bit of luck will get them added on while it is still at Alex's

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Productive day on the Ph1, gearbox is out no mean feat when we did it on a driveway but we got it done, have an oil leak which I am sure has been picked up on the MOT at least a couple of times but we know where it's coming from so that will be fixed at the same time as the new clutch etc. other than that all went to plan, all being well will get it all organised and back in in the next week or so, managed a couple of pics but they aren't the most interesting ?

Old clutch
42922946732_0493e5ec91_b.jpg

Hole where a gearbox should be
41162254180_420cc9045a_b.jpg

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Well still no clutch in the Ph1, am off to do some work on it tomorrow again so hopefully will make some progress! Few more bit's arrived mainly to properly fix the oil leak, had new flywheel bolts, new sump gasket and new rear main seal arrive this week. Might as well do it properly while it's in bit's ? Also managed to get some B14 coilovers and 20mm front, 10mm rear spacers sorted so they now also need to be fitted, I am away from next weekend for a couple of weeks would love to get it back before I go but realistically think it will be afterwards will see how tomorrow goes ?

Well still no clutch in the Ph1, am off to do some work on it tomorrow again so hopefully will make some progress! Few more bit's arrived mainly to properly fix the oil leak, had new flywheel bolts, new sump gasket and new rear main seal arrive this week. Might as well do it properly while it's in bit's ? Also managed to get some B14 coilovers and 20mm front, 10mm rear spacers sorted so they now also need to be fitted, I am away from next weekend for a couple of weeks would love to get it back before I go but realistically think it will be afterwards will see how tomorrow goes ?

Any updates on the clutch fitting etc? I like the idea of the coilovers ('B' for Bilstein I presume?)….. this car is just getting better & better - when you are done, can I buy it back lol!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Any updates on the clutch fitting etc? I like the idea of the coilovers ('B' for Bilstein I presume?)….. this car is just getting better & better - when you are done, can I buy it back lol!
Update on the clutch is it's still not in the car ? but it's moving in the right direction, I didn't get a lot done when I went over the weekend ended up helping on some other projects that were being worked on, I am away for a couple of weeks from this weekend so am hoping it will be ready when I get back or I will just go and have to help finish off when I get back, fingers crossed! I want it back in one piece so I can drive it ? Bilstein B14's will be going on have heard great things so am hoping all will be good!

If I ever sell I will give you first refusal ? it's only fair since I bought it off you, hope your good Dan

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
The Ph1 is back ??

Picked it up yesterday, the bit's you can't see are:

- New Valeo clutch (Feels so much better than the old one as you would expect)
- New rear main seal & sump gasket (hopefully this will have fixed the oil leak, Alex said sump gasket was worst he had seen all brittle and hardened)
- New polybushed dogbone (Seems to have cured the vibration under acceleration I was getting but will take it out for a proper drive to make sure)
- New Renault oil filter & oil
- New PAS fluid (Not sure this has ever been changed the old oil didn't look good when it came out ?)
- New track rod end (one got damaged when taking apart)
- New gearbox oil
- New cabin filter

The bit's you can see:

- Bilstein B14 coilovers (these came complete with newer standard top mounts)
- 20mm front spacers
- New rear wiper surround

The list of things that still need doing (I seem to be adding to this all the time):

- 10mm stub axle spacers (hopefully get these done soon)
- Passenger window mechanism (started making a noise so bought a new kit with regulator clip to fix but it didn't work so going to get a new mechanism)
- Timing check (have new upper and lower inlets to go on that need painting so this will be done when they are fitted along with the spark plugs)
- New coolant bottle and coolant flush

I think that's everything, that I can remember, it's been away for just over a month so might have forgotten something. Need to get the ride height set on the coilovers and then will get the tracking done all being well over the weekend/early next week. Will also grab some pics as it is at the minute.

Just need to get out and enjoy it now for a bit ?

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Great stuff matey, you must be well chuffed to get it back - nice list of jobs done there, shall await the photos! :D
Yep missed it massively, trying to decide if I can drive to Great Yarmouth on Sunday just not sure I will have had chance to get tracking done but we'll see what happens ?

Yep missed it massively, trying to decide if I can drive to Great Yarmouth on Sunday just not sure I will have had chance to get tracking done but we'll see what happens ?

Yeah that's totally understandable but at the same time you could get some miles done and see how its all running (would be great to see you and the car there!) See how you get on!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Washed the Ph1 this afternoon while it was raining ?few pics of how it sits at the minute, I haven't managed to tweak the coilovers yet although think the rear is as low as it will go with the adjuster still in, think I need to tweak the front a little still but impressed with the ride on the B14's so far just had a ride out for some cake. Last pic in the car park to show how the 20mm spacer fit's on the front ?and also shows how I need to get the rear spacer on!

43997079351_631874acc8_b.jpg

43091353535_8da9bfe018_b.jpg

43091351535_53aedc6872_b.jpg

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
The new height (not too low) & spacing of the front wheels makes it look 'spot-on' - looks so tough in that rear-quarter view ?
Yep going to have a proper measure on a flat/level surface and make sure all heights work, then will get tracking done once I have done that, just incase! Coilovers came with camber bolts which aren't fitted but could add them if needed, will see what happens ?

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
What's the crack with the door/wing in this pic
Looks like it's been painted and they have gone up to a tape line
Never noticed in person but that was a very sunny day though, would explain something though as the lacquer not quite the same as the other panels, plan on claying/machine polishing etc so will have a closer look and see, have looked back through other pics but don't have many of that wing/door. Can see very slightly in this pic but does look like it's in the lacquer rather than paint
27523692017_41d82199b0_b.jpg

But hardly at all in this one
40585730180_f2a1222265_b.jpg

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Few pics from today of the interior, was supposed to clean the outside as well but it hasn't happened yet ?cleaned all the mats, boot mat, parcel shelf with some carpet/upholstery cleaner I had for the sofa a little while ago. Also gave the interior a good hoover and wipe down, before they went back in. Also managed to get the central part of the dash with the clock aligned better as it looked a bit odd before @DerbyDan Need to get my proper Ph1 sport wheel sent off to be re-trimmed, might not happen till winter now though. Would also like to give the seats front & back a good clean but haven't managed it as yet.

42642497690_da7666eb2b_b.jpg

44402279222_a98db3a67b_b.jpg

30582135798_8d24154f6c_b.jpg

29513487877_2d87eb6221_b.jpg

29513486587_469d3b13a2_b.jpg

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Cracking job in the interior. Satisfying isn’t it!!
It really is, want to get the seats out and hoover/clean under them but that will have to wait as well unless I get some time and motivation ?
Would like to debobble driver's seat as well, back seats and passenger seat don't need doing which is good ?

Looks so clean that, really does look a cracker this car - and yes it IS very satisfying getting the interior minty mint :D

The de-bobbler is such a nice little tool for pretty much pennies, made a decent job of mine - loads in the little bucket and didn't think mine were that bad!!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Looks so clean that, really does look a cracker this car - and yes it IS very satisfying getting the interior minty mint :D The de-bobbler is such a nice little tool for pretty much pennies, made a decent job of mine - loads in the little bucket and didn't think mine were that bad!!
I do think the interior is in great condition compared to other Ph1's I have seen, still some bit's to do in it and de-bobbler is definitely happening soon, definitely a satisfying job, I do find it quite therapeutic washing/cleaning a car though ?

Still looking good Gareth.... in fact it looks better & better each time I see update pics of the 'old-gal' - The condition of the interior was one of the things that 'swung' it when I originally brought the car from Matt in Aylesbury.... if i'm honest this was the only 172 that I looked at, but for a car of 15+ years it seemed remarkably 'fresh'. I know in my ownership, I did enjoy cleaning the interior, little things like using the de-bobbler on the seats was remarkably satisfying - it was also quite a pleasant place to be on even a long journey - those front seats are sooo comfy ? I actually love the random shades of blues & greys that your photos show so well... it was almost out-of date when the car was first new - it feels really retro now.

P.S; did you ever get the timing checked... was it out at all?

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Still looking good Gareth.... in fact it looks better & better each time I see update pics of the 'old-gal' - The condition of the interior was one of the things that 'swung' it when I originally brought the car from Matt in Aylesbury.... if i'm honest this was the only 172 that I looked at, but for a car of 15+ years it seemed remarkably 'fresh'. I know in my ownership, I did enjoy cleaning the interior, little things like using the de-bobbler on the seats was remarkably satisfying - it was also quite a pleasant place to be on even a long journey - those front seats are sooo comfy ? I actually love the random shades of blues & greys that your photos show so well... it was almost out-of date when the car was first new - it feels really retro now.
P.S; did you ever get the timing checked... was it out at all?

I think the interior is in great condition, is so much nicer than the last Ph1 that I had, I know lot's of people say they don't like the dash and colours but think it's one of my favourite bits of the car ?haven't had timing checked as yet as I will be having a spare set of lower/upper inlets polished/ported and cleaned/painted so when all that ready to fit will be the perfect time to get the timing checked while all that is all off and being replaced, that's the current plan anyway