ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Cup has gone long live the Ph1

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Am sure some of you will have already seen my last thread which was mainly for my 172 Cup https://www.cliosport.net/threads/mintno1s-ph1-172-ph2-172-cup-progress-thread.805731/ last weekend I sold the Cup to concentrate on my Ph1. I only have one garage space and as much as I loved the Cup and had spent a lot of time and effort on it I see the Ph1 as a better long term project/prospect. I didn't buy it to make money, I am sure i will end up spending a small fortune on it but if it goes up in value while I have it that would be good ?

The Cup when it arrived
33343184122_35faa3efcc_b.jpg

33376440412_59cac5c39b_b.jpg

The Cup as it left last weekend
41744944821_6f4d6e56cd_b.jpg

27908616028_8f476414b2_b.jpg

The Ph1 when it arrived in September last year
36895862926_668a8cf59c_b.jpg

Down in the woods last November
24711109908_5540a60a63_b.jpg

24711112088_4ed63ac672_b.jpg

Since then I haven't driven it that much, I tucked it away in the garage, the MOT ran out in February but because I wasn't in a rush to get it out of the garage with the miserable weather I left it until last week. First it went off to @AlexW for a check over to see what the rust situation was like and see what else it needed doing. It got a clean bill of health in terms of the rust, I want to get in behind the rear door cards and do some preventative rust proofing soon. We have some mechanical bit's to work through but nothing major and I have a list of things I would like to do as and when funds allow. It passed it's MOT last week with no advisories ?

Spec as of today Standard apart from the following:
- Eibach springs (front & rear) - on car when purchased
- KTEC stealth exhaust with centre silencer - on car when purchased
- Clear side indicators - on car when purchased
- Silvervision front indicators - on car when purchased
- Rear cup shocks - fitted 09/18

I have already been buying some bit's ? I currently have the following to be fitted:
- Cup spoiler in titanium
- Rear bumper in titanium
- Wing mirrors in titanium
- Boot struts
- Valeo OEM clutch kit

Current plans are to keep the exterior as standard as possible (the amber front & side indicators will be back) and bar the cup spoiler it will be as it came from the factory. Mechanically I am undecided at the minute, my plan was to refresh as I go along and see what happens but part of me does want to do some things as well. It will also end up on coilovers with spaced out Oz F1's. Here it is today after a quick wash, am hoping to start doing some work tomorrow and will keep this thread updated as and when things happen.
27043605027_980493314a_b.jpg

28042284428_7b469361cf_b.jpg

27043604087_ed4665191f_b.jpg

28042283258_2887eb944e_b.jpg

Any questions just shout

Cheers
Gareth

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Managed to get a few bit's done this morning before I gave up and sat in the garden ?

Fitted the boot struts that I had bought previously - before and after
28054449498_8c25b82124_b.jpg

41207539424_d1780ae7f7_b.jpg

Fitted the cup spoiler I have had tucked up since last Autumn - during and after
28054448298_f402906117_b.jpg

41207537314_0a736b8f8d_b.jpg

28054446888_ecee058918_b.jpg

Fitted the wing mirrors I bought, the old ones had started to fade especially along the top edge, you can just about see in this pic
27058671197_1860217529_b.jpg

The new ones are in better condition but not perfect, will probably have them painted when the car goes in to have front bumper painted, that's not going to happen that soon but will happen eventually ?
41928562041_0c24f6d152_b.jpg

40121149250_c96221e2fd_b.jpg

Also gave the interior a quick clean and will go out later when the sun has gone down a bit and give the glass a once over and dress the tyres. Hope everyone else has been having a productive day in the sunshine

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Tidy and probably the right choice if one had to be parted with. Will the cup stay on the forum?
It's getting there, the new cup owner isn't on here, I did mention the build thread if he was interested, he is on the Facebook forum and taking it on track tomorrow ?

Such a nice looking car this and now the project/progress is under way, that's fasntastic to have a zero advisory MOT and no rust issues - you know moving forward now, you've got a good base.

Re. the plans, sounds good mate! The spoiler has to be done doesn't it but otherwise, ambers, coilover lows and spacers truly is all it needs outside. Nothing wrong with a few engine and handling mods while keeping it looking oem - just keep that tape player!! lol

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Such a nice looking car this and now the project/progress is under way, that's fasntastic to have a zero advisory MOT and no rust issues - you know moving forward now, you've got a good base. Re. the plans, sounds good mate! The spoiler has to be done doesn't it but otherwise, ambers, coilover lows and spacers truly is all it needs outside. Nothing wrong with a few engine and handling mods while keeping it looking oem - just keep that tape player!! lol

Tape player isn't going anywhere ?

Can't quite believe it had no advisories as I know it needs pads all round and possibly discs plus some other bits, I think we caught the MOT tester on a good day ? Rust was my major concern and like I say still want to get in behind the door cards and do some preventative work but all good other than that which was the main thing I wanted checking before I started spending on it!! Spoiler does look good, glad I have done that, now looking forward to all the other bit's just have to get them organised now ?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Absolutely textbook.

Ph1 > Ph2 without doubt

And you can't beat silver for clean looks. Of all the cars I wish I'd never sold, my silver ph1 is top of the list.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Absolutely textbook.
Ph1 > Ph2 without doubt
And you can't beat silver for clean looks. Of all the cars I wish I'd never sold, my silver ph1 is top of the list.
Their is definitely something about a Ph1, just feels different and somehow more special. I always wanted another rarer colour in the Ph1 but especially in the sunshine the silver sparkles and looks great ?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Absolutely textbook.
Ph1 > Ph2 without doubt
Their is definitely something about a Ph1, just feels different and somehow more special. I always wanted another rarer colour in the Ph1 but especially in the sunshine the silver sparkles and looks great [emoji106]
They just look better and feel a lot better built. I found my ph2 cup felt cheap and more plastic in comparison.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
They just look better and feel a lot better built. I found my ph2 cup felt cheap and more plastic in comparison.
I think your right, my cup had been messed with but was a lot noisier, the Ph1 feels better put together again this one hasn't been messed with so that probably helps, the cup had basically been rewired all dash/interior out etc.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Which Eibach springs are on it ?? Sits perfectly .
It's on the red Eibach sport line springs and cup dampers, not sure how old the springs are would have to go through the receipts box and see when they were purchased, just in case they have changed the design/spec of the springs

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Little update from today, after the car had been tucked up in it's garage over Winter the battery was dead and I had to jump start it a couple of times so bought a new Bosch S4 battery from GSF on their weekend discounts and fitted
40328744700_d997325c4f_b.jpg

Also fitted the new rear bumper I bought just before Christmas. The original rear bumper had some scratches where the previous owner had caught a bollard and the paint had gone funny where the bottom of the boot lid closes. Their is still a bit of damage to the rear quarter from the bollard but this will be sorted when the car goes to a bodyshop (will get front bumper sprayed at the same time), this won't be before Winter as I want to enjoy it over the Summer but it's on the to do list. Here are some before pics, I will organise some after pics but the new bumper was dusty after being in the garage for a few months so the car needs a wash before I get some afters, all came apart great and went back together well so all good ?
28263041648_0129eb052d_b.jpg

40328746010_aedb49375c_b.jpg

41415387644_d499cc6359_b.jpg

Its still looking good Gareth...... it sure sparkles in the sunlight! Thanks for the close-up of the 'bollard' damage.... was so annoyed with myself when I did that ??

I'm so pleased its being cared for & looked after.... it would have rapidly deteriated had it been used by me on a daily basis over the winter, which just wouldn't have been fair. I like the fact that it sounds like you will be doing all the little bits that I would have liked to have done if I was to have kept it as a second car, will definitely have this thread bookmarked & check in on its progress every now & then, did you ever figure out why it made the horrible noise/vibration under hard acceleration - I think you thought it was something driveshaft related?

Shame you sold the Cup but at least you didn't have to break it...... & now you can spend the proceeds from its sale to concentrate on the PH1 ?

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Its still looking good Gareth...... it sure sparkles in the sunlight! Thanks for the close-up of the 'bollard' damage.... was so annoyed with myself when I did that ??

I'm so pleased its being cared for & looked after.... it would have rapidly deteriated had it been used by me on a daily basis over the winter, which just wouldn't have been fair. I like the fact that it sounds like you will be doing all the little bits that I would have liked to have done if I was to have kept it as a second car, will definitely have this thread bookmarked & check in on its progress every now & then, did you ever figure out why it made the horrible noise/vibration under hard acceleration - I think you thought it was something driveshaft related?

Shame you sold the Cup but at least you didn't have to break it...... & now you can spend the proceeds from its sale to concentrate on the PH1 ?
Cheers Dan, it still looks good ? will get the remaining bit of damage fixed but definitely want to enjoy it first for a bit especially as I tucked it away over Winter. I have more parts to fit but haven't managed it yet as our third child was born on Tuesday so that's kept me occupied, can't wait to get back messing with the car ?

I have a new driveshaft for it just incase but it hasn't been looked at properly yet, it's due to go in in the next couple of weeks for a new clutch and some other bit's and pieces and that will be one of the other things to take a look at. Am now thinking it may be engine/gearbox/dogbone mount related which I think we discussed when I first bought it but either way will get to the bottom of it ?

It's easier so far with one car and the cup went to a good home so all is good!