ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Black Pearl (1.2)

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
finally got round to sorting out the nice pictures i took, I should've probably cleaned the car before I took these, oh well
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I know they aren't the best but I don't have a super good camera, iphone quality isn't too bad though, more updates at the weekend!

Different springs will give you a different height and different ride qualities.

I have Eibach Sportlines on mine. The rears are easy, you can do those yourself. I'd get the fronts fitted by a garage or someone who knows what they're doing!

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Different springs will give you a different height and different ride qualities.

I have Eibach Sportlines on mine. The rears are easy, you can do those yourself. I'd get the fronts fitted by a garage or someone who knows what they're doing!

Are they expensive? I don't want it slammed but just a little lower! Also with spacers do you have to get longer wheel nuts for them?

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
I've no idea, mine was lowered when I bought it. Look at my thread, not slammed at all.

Most spacer kits will come with bolts that are needed.
I wasn't implying yours was slammed buddy, just was saying in general!

Ah I'll look more into it, just brought some locking wheel nuts too, they'll have to go back! I was thinking about getting a induction kit, what are your thoughts on that?

Just this week I've put my standard air box back in. It offers nothing what so ever to the car other than a nice noise over 3k. The car feels much more response ice with the standard box on to be honest.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Just this week I've put my standard air box back in. It offers nothing what so ever to the car other than a nice noise over 3k. The car feels much more response ice with the standard box on to be honest.

I don't think I'll bother with the induction kit then. Doesn't seem worth the money, thanks for the heads up on that one

You can buy spacers that use your existing bolts and locking wheel bolts.

Lowering springs will be about £150 I'd say.

Oh really? Didn't know that was possible, that would be a better idea for me having just spent money on wheel s

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Gave the car a good scrub and wax during the week, I love the way a black car shines!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Yes I know I need to sort out that horrible dent in the door sill and the go faster wheel arch scrape it's a working progress!

image.jpg

Turtle wax's wet tyre look really is wet

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Headlights are still looking good!

image.jpg

It's amazing how a clean car can make such a difference! I plan on sorting out the scrape, dent and do a bit more colour coding to the front as I can't stand the plastic! I plan to get a skoda fabia splitter and colour code it!
The grill needs a lick of satin black too I think!

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
In a bit of a pickle now. I'm now I'm two minds whether to call it a day with the Clio and just leave it how it is, and save for next car in like 3 years time or continue working on mine and still get a car In 3 years time. I'm sure many of you on here hit this stage, a bit of advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
I'm at the exact same junction. Do I leave it and start looking / saving for a 182 or do I carry on. Hmm...

I was always dreading getting to this point. Exactly how I feel, is it worth carrying on or better worth leaving it and saving for better car.
Some guy said to me the other day, whatever you do to it it'll still be a 1.2, that's what got me thinking! We are in the same boat mate, hmm...

At the end of the day, it will just be a 1.2 but from experience, I know a few 17 year olds who love my car who would snap it up!

Anyway, I'll probably end up throwing all the mod from this onto a 182 if they're in better nick anyway!

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's a good thought. I'm the same, however my second car won't be a 182 I'm sure! There's the possibility I'll get one in the future but not as a second car! I have better plans for that. There would be only so much you could take from the 1.2 to 182! We'll see, just in a low about it all.

If you gonna keep get some fresh plates :) I prefer plain ones tbh makes it look neater :) but y not lower it. Wait for some cheap springs :)

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
If you gonna keep get some fresh plates :smile: I prefer plain ones tbh makes it look neater :smile: but y not lower it. Wait for some cheap springs :smile:

A lot of people have mentioned the fresh plates thing, but to be honest with you I don't see much of difference in it?
Yeah I wasn't sure about lowering it but I am now, I plan to get some Eibach pros, heard very good things about them!
Just looking for some spacers where I can use my bolts instead of having to buy a whole set!

2014 Clio 200t edc
The springs are a ball ache to fit (fronts anyway) but the tears are easy. I managed all of mine on my own but I had access to the tools needed. It was done on axle stands though so if you've got the tools and follow the guides on here it isn't that bad. Seriously if I did it, a blind panda can do it.

Just be aware of clamping the spring putting back on not to bad tbh as u can pull the strut up on the damper and not clamp when I did :)

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Update 1 of 2.

Decided to sort out some of the dodgy bodywork at the weekend, brought some P38 (great stuff) and paint from AutoPaints.com!
The match for Pearl Black is incredibly spot on! If that even makes sense So glad I followed many of the people's advice on here!

Baring in mind I've never used filler before and never blended paintwork, so go lightly on me if you think it's crap

Firstly the rather odd dent in the door sill, it was there when I brought it
image.jpg
image.jpg

I haven't got a finished picture of the finish, but oh well no one cares anyway
Up next was the scrape above the wheel arch, quite surprised nobody made any comment about that. So glad it's done now though
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Now I'm not 100% satisfied with the finish, the actually arch is perfect but where the paint blends it's a little dull, but it's hardly noticeable, but still I notice
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

It's not perfect but that'll do for now! these pictures are showing how desperately needed spacers and lowering are time I got rid of those bogey green dust caps too

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
The springs are a ball ache to fit (fronts anyway) but the tears are easy. I managed all of mine on my own but I had access to the tools needed. It was done on axle stands though so if you've got the tools and follow the guides on here it isn't that bad. Seriously if I did it, a blind panda can do it.

Yeah I've heard they aren't the simplest of things to fit! What I'm worried about really if I get stuck I'll drop you a PM that alright pal?
I'll get a blind panda in to do it then

Just be aware of clamping the spring putting back on not to bad tbh as u can pull the strut up on the damper and not clamp when I did :smile:

Cheers mate

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Update 2 of 2.

Finding the funds to do the sport front bumper wings and side skirts seemed way off So I set about colour coding my front strips myself, they all just popped out, wasn't a bumper off job like many people say! Was actually pretty easy
I couldn't stand the plastic look, that faded a lot in the sun
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Pearl black is such a nice colour
image.jpg
image.jpg

Looks so much nicer without the number plate!
image.jpg

The strips need flattening back and a good polish as they are a bit umm what's the word, they are dead smooth but it's not a glass finish let me know what you think!
I was thinking about tinting the fogs a darker colour, black tint, not the cliche yellow. I think they stand out too much

Also, what do people think to headlight eyelids? I think they look really mean on a Clio! Really like the look, but if it didn't get approval on here I wouldn't bother!

Really enjoying this car at the minute, despite its frailties! Thanks for looking

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 75
Hey man i have that mouse too, it blew up on me after 30 mins of use doing my front bumper. Got a new replacement with a warning not to push it roo hard. How that laquer sorted out?

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
@notfastnotfurious Christ really, Must of been giving it quite a hard time?
Yeah it sorted out fine, purely because I used those wipes without thinking! Was so annoyed with myself about that thanks for your help though! Moisture didn't seem to be a problem after all that

It was very hot. Hopefully got a crap one and the new one is better. Glad its sorted. Nothing more annoying than waiting for the last coat to dry when theres a mistake ha. Looks good what youve done so far. Laquer is a nightmare to blend

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
It was very hot. Hopefully got a crap one and the new one is better. Glad its sorted. Nothing more annoying than waiting for the last coat to dry when theres a mistake ha. Looks good what youve done so far. Laquer is a nightmare to blend

Sounds like a dodgy one then! Yeah I know tell me about it thank you! It wasn't so much the lacquer that was hard to blend on the wheel arch it was the actual base coat colour which I struggled with!

I widened the area so I didn't get a hard edge on the paint, and because I focused the paint on the arch itself the overspray that spread across the widened area didn't go on that thick, it's not meant too! But still because it didn't go on that thick, it didn't have a solid colour too it! Found it result difficult actually! Oh well, doesn't look too bad!

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Got myself a Megs clay detailing kit as my bonnet was like sandpaper, I've never used one of these before but I must say I was very impressed with the outcome! Very easy to use but very effective, it's so smooth now
image.jpg

Should probably think about doing the whole car because of the benefit

Smoothed off my front bumper strips to remove the 'orange peel' effect
image.jpg

Well pleased with the finish on these!
image.jpg

Bonnet looks fresh
image.jpg

If you haven't already noticed I've taken the front Renault badge off to spray it Pearl Black, I think I'm a bit addicted to this colour coding business
Considering doing the door mirrors, the bit that connects the mirror to the door, but unsure how hard it is to get that off
image.jpg

Not the best picture but it's once again the little things made bigger improvements! Not sure about doing the rear one!

I'm looking for a few tips about cleaning if anyone would like to help please visit my thread on the detailing section and help me out! Much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Update
Friday afternoon came a tipping point in the car, I was sitting on the fence whether to stop and save for next car or to carry on spending on the car. I went with the 2nd option, spend spend spend. Now I'd just planned to do rear bumper and not bother with the front, however sport front wings came up in my local area and I managed to get him down to a dirt cheap price, like a couldn't say no price, in pearl black too!
image.jpg

They were both very dirty and looked to be slightly light scratched but nothing I thought that couldn't be corrected. As these were going to be stored until I got the funds for front bumper and side skirts I only cleaned one up to see the real condition, I'm pretty chuffed with the condition to be honest
image.jpg
image.jpg

They look a lot worse than they do in pictures, but that's always the case with pictures! You get the idea

image.jpg

As you've got probably noticed too I picked up some sport sills protectors while I was there, very cheap too! These cleaned up nicely too
image.jpg

I haven't got round to fitting these yet, quite frankly because I don't know how these are fitted? Anyone give me any help, is it just doubled sided tape?

But the wings will come up better than I thought, a lot better condition that the ones I already have on the car!
image.jpg

That's just a quick clean, it's difficult to put too much pressure on them, so will save doing that for when they're on the car!

Comparison
image.jpg

Very very pleased with these considering the price I paid.

I originally found a body kit, front&rear bumper, wings, side skirts for £100 that would need a respray, I got a respray quote of £400 roughly +vat so adding it all up, I thought it's not worth it finding a kit cheap and giving it a respray so would just wait for parts to come up in pearl black. Now everyone who has a pearl black Clio who's looking to do similar will know the headache of trying to find parts. This guy I picked the wings up from has told me he's got it all, rear bumper In good condition, front bumper In mint condition, side skirts, so this looks like it's going to be done a lot sooner than I thought, it's excited times for the Clio haha!

Waiting for a few things to come in the post this week too! Cars going into the garage tomorrow wish me luck!

Tom