ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The best way to clean my car is.....?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Thanks for the advice. I'll be cleaning the cloths after a heavy detailing session tomorrow.

Appreciated.:)

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Running out of Autoglym's Car Glass Polish. I've used that product for years now with excellent results.

Easy to apply and remove also.

Is there any product that is better than this one.....???

Mito Sportiva 135
I just use SRP by machine mate...then top with Collinites 476s, when you wash it you can just wipe with a MF towel don't need anything else, and sheets water almost as well as RainX.

By hand is probably just as good.

Otherwise the Carlack glass sealing kit Tim @ CYC sells looks good, was going to buy it myself but restrained myself!

Last edited:
  106 GTi
Einszett Glass Polish works well, not really any better than the AG though.

I use one of the above to deep clean, or Zymol HD Cleanse for lighter cleaning and then wax the glass on the 182. On the daily drive I polish and then I use Duragloss Rain Repel because it is so easy to use.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
These SuperTurismo's are getting dirty and requiring cleaning nearly every other day, much to my annoyance. It doesn't help with them being white due being the WRC variant.:dapprove:

So far I'm using a separate lambs wool mit and a bucket of Duragloss 903 shampoo to clean them. I'm finding that some of the dirt and dust can be stubborn to remove despite being SRP'd and EGP'd a few days back to help prevent dirt sticking so easily. I'm yet to use my Autobahn wheel wax on them.

I wondered if a particular wheel cleaner would help. Obvioulsy it's gotta be effective, although I would prefer to stay away from anything that'll remove wheel wax and coats of EGP. Don't mind keeping on to the cleaning by washing every other day as long as wheel cleaner makes the job quicker and easier.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.:)

106 GTi
These SuperTurismo's are getting dirty and requiring cleaning nearly every other day, much to my annoyance. It doesn't help with them being white due being the WRC variant.:dapprove:

So far I'm using a separate lambs wool mit and a bucket of Duragloss 903 shampoo to clean them. I'm finding that some of the dirt and dust can be stubborn to remove despite being SRP'd and EGP'd a few days back to help prevent dirt sticking so easily. I'm yet to use my Autobahn wheel wax on them.

I wondered if a particular wheel cleaner would help. Obvioulsy it's gotta be effective, although I would prefer to stay away from anything that'll remove wheel wax and coats of EGP. Don't mind keeping on to the cleaning by washing every other day as long as wheel cleaner makes the job quicker and easier.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.:)

Anything other than soap and water will probably strip the sealant. I would top with the Autobahn and see how that goes. I never use anything more than Megs APC on my own cars.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Meguiars APC = All Purpose Cleaner?

This won't strip away the wax and EGP, but will make the job easier?

106 GTi
Thats the one. It will lift the grime - though even mixed up at 10:1 I am not sure it will will be EGP friendly 100% you will have to be the guinea pig on that one !

106 GTi
Yeap - mild but effective, being safe for interior use it is mild enough to be safe, aggressive enough to do the job.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Odd as it may sound I've not come across APC so far. Any idea where to buy it?

What about Sonus Rim Bright. The description says it's a pH balanced product, requires some aggitation unlike others which are a spray on spray off. I thought this may be kind to EGP, wheel wax ect?

Alternatively Swissvax Wheel?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Thanks for the link.:)

Would you also say most wheel cleaners would strip any wax on the wheels also?

Mito Sportiva 135
They will do yeah, even AG Engine & Machine Cleaner will, although not as bad s any acid based cleaners.

Mito Sportiva 135
Pretty much the same as the one I use on my wheels, works a charm my friend! :cool: Not quite as soft as a wool one definitely ok for wheels.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I'm using a lambswool mit on mine currently, though the fibres are dropping out very quickly. Just need something a little more durable.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Been thinking about using a glaze recently after looking at Clean Your Car's website.

Says that they're to be used after a polish. Some of the ClearKote products seem ok from the description.

Currently I polish with SRP and two coats of EGP afterwards. Then wax with ClearKote Carnuba Moose.

Question: Is it worth buying a Glaze? Will I notice a difference? If so, can it be used before or after EGP?

Will be applying by hand to Racing Blue paintwork.

Thanks.:)

106 GTi
Difficult - Glaze first will mean EGP is not an option as it will not bond.

You could use a pure Glaze (none of the Clearkotes are though) after Sealant before wax but it is not the best way of doing things and will not produce the same results as using it on freshly polished paint.

The Clearkote Glazes look great but are not sealant compatible.

106 GTi
EGP gives a good few months protect, a glaze and a wax may only give you weeks. The later will be for looks the former for protection.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
So the procedure would be (if I decided to use a ClearKote glaze) SRP, glaze then wax?

I would need to re-glaze the car every month or so (for protection and looks)? Would this mean I'd need to repeat the above procedure with SRP as a ClearKote glaze won't bond to the ClearKote Carnuba Moose wax. However I do have a bottle of Spritz Acryllic for quick detailing, can this be used to help the process?

106 GTi
If the paint is good shape you could skip the SRP and just glaze and wax.

If you feel the car lacks looks then re glaze, if it looks great just wax and/or QD.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll give one of theses glazes a go when it's time to SRP once more.

I presume the ClearKote products give the greatest appearance even if they're not that durable. Any particular one to use thats easy to apply with excelent results?

Mito Sportiva 135
Seer your current avatar looks like a man "pleasuring himself" hehe.

I use Chemical Guys EZ Glaze and produces a really nice finish.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Seer your current avatar looks like a man "pleasuring himself" hehe.

I use Chemical Guys EZ Glaze and produces a really nice finish.

Thanks, might give that one a go, good results eh.:)

The avatar is Belial's Never Again album cover. Your right there is a sort of pleasuring going on there....;)

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Sorry to rant on about wheel cleaning but these white SuperTurismos are really getting to me now. I'm having to clean them nearly every other day!

Finding that a they're destroying my lambs wool mit also!:mad:

Used an Autoglym wheel brush the other week from a friend's Autoglym cleaning pack (long handled item in beige). The bristles felt quite soft and it removed the brake dust with much less effort than the lambs wool mit. In half the time as well.:)

So, thinking of buying one. Wondering if they're too abrasive, didn't seem like it though, any others on the market which are better?

Thanks.:)

Mito Sportiva 135
I use a MF wash mitt, not quite as soft as the wool one but lasts a hell of a lot longer and holds soap better than a brush would - obviously!

Fiat Coupe 20vt
Yes on alloys, I use a microfibre wash mitt for the face and spokes, and a brush for the backs.

If you are wanting to glaze. By hand i'd seriously reccomend you try the following combo. It leaves the wettest finish possible.

Clearkote Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze
The will clean, lightly polish and glaze the paint.

Clearkote Yellow Moose wax
This is in essence a pure glaze. A completely non abrasive paintwork gloss enhancer. Leaves a very slick wet looking finish.

Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax

106 GTi
I used the revisited Clearkote minus the wax on my 106 GTi the other weekend. I was a bit dubious after seeing some post on DW talking out them actually reducing gloss when they tested and measured it with some machine.

I use a couple of different halfords wheel brushes for the inners.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Finally bought a bottle of Yellow moose wax.Applied a fair quantity by hand via microfibre cloth.Buffed to shine.Finished with Carnuba Moose Wax.I was expecting more shine than an SRP and EGP which doesnt seem to be so.In fact less glossy if anything.Any tips? Thanks.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
what colour is your car? the shine is brought up by the polishing stage, try a heavier cut to bring up the shine, followed but srp to fill any inperfections, then egp as a sealant, then a wax on top