ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The best way to clean my car is.....?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I'm new to car detailing and would appreciate some knowledge/info on how to make maintain an excellent paintjob.

I own a 182 Cup. I bought it with 16K on the clock back in June it's on 22.5K now. The paintwork is in wonderful condition so far, and I want it to stay in this condtion. The car will probably see between 17-22K per year.

So far I've been using Meguiars Gold Class shampoo, pleased with the results. Meguiars Gold Class Wax, not so pleased with the results comapared to Turtle Wax Original which I currently using. Also Turtle Wax Gloss Guard after waxing.

Just wondered if there's any products on the market which will provide a greater protection to the elements (espescially winter weather) and that are better than what I'm already using.

All comments appreciated.:)

Thank you.

I doubt Rich will be here tbh, He has answered so many people in the past I would think its egtting quite annoying saying it over and over again.

What colour is your 182 CUP mate? Have you tried the search aswell mate?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I doubt Rich will be here tbh, He has answered so many people in the past I would think its egtting quite annoying saying it over and over again.

What colour is your 182 CUP mate? Have you tried the search aswell mate?

The Cup is in Racing Blue. As such I have read a few threads on what products to use but some seem a little conflicting. As I don't wish to spend out on several products to judge for myself. Just want to get the low down on what I should/shouldn't be doing.

Thanks.:)

106 GTi
Doing that kind of mileage I would be looking at a durable sealant or durable sealant/wax combo.

For the of the shelf Sealant Route I would look into the likes of Autoglym Super Resin followed by the Extra Gloss Protection Sealant, decent looks and a couple of coats of EGP can give 2-3 months plus protection. Mail order wise worth looking into some Jeffs Acylic Jett Trigger to use after the Resin Polish which produces EGP results but alot easier to use, wipe on wipe off with no cure times.

If looking for additional looks both the above can be topped with a good Pure Carnuba Wax, some may also add more protection still if you go for the likes of Meguiars 16 or one of the Collinites.

The main key to keep the paint looking good will be a good wash technique, lambswool mitts and some decent microfiber drying towels.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Doing that kind of mileage I would be looking at a durable sealant or durable sealant/wax combo.

For the of the shelf Sealant Route I would look into the likes of Autoglym Super Resin followed by the Extra Gloss Protection Sealant, decent looks and a couple of coats of EGP can give 2-3 months plus protection. Mail order wise worth looking into some Jeffs Acylic Jett Trigger to use after the Resin Polish which produces EGP results but alot easier to use, wipe on wipe off with no cure times.

If looking for additional looks both the above can be topped with a good Pure Carnuba Wax, some may also add more protection still if you go for the likes of Meguiars 16 or one of the Collinites.

The main key to keep the paint looking good will be a good wash technique, lambswool mitts and some decent microfiber drying towels.

Wonderful. Thank you for you reply and the wealthy advice. I'm not sure what EGP is? Sorry, just unused to the terminology.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
My paintwork so far has a very limited amount of swirl marks in it and is in very good condition. Should I really be using a polish at this stage?

106 GTi
Polish is the only way to remove them, even minor ones will take some elbow grease to remove my hand.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I should also mention the car is never garaged. Do most of the products withstand U.V. well?

106 GTi
I would not worry about colour fade to much on anything bar red.

Most products have some UV protection in them.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Thank you.:)

I've built up several layers of wax on the paintwork so far. I'm wondering if it would be best to allow it to wear down a little (car is washed every five days) rather than applying the Super Resin Polish at present?

106 GTi
I would get 2 or 3 layers of EGP on, then either top with wax.

After washing just maintain gloss with a good Quick Detail Spray and maybe a Spray Wax such as Optimum Car Wax or Duragloss Aquawax.

I would only re apply the Super Resin once a 2-3 months as it means starting the process of waxing/sealing all over again.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I would get 2 or 3 layers of EGP on, then either top with wax.

After washing just maintain gloss with a good Quick Detail Spray and maybe a Spray Wax such as Optimum Car Wax or Duragloss Aquawax.

I would only re apply the Super Resin once a 2-3 months as it means starting the process of waxing/sealing all over again.

Most helpful, thank you. I suppose choosing you moment to apply these products can prove difficult? Not in direct sunlight but products wont dry if moisture is in the air...winter approaching.

106 GTi
Yeah EGP is one to avoid on a damp day, get the layers on now before the weather turns cold and damp IMO. Washing and maintaining with spray on wipe off products will then not be a problem over the winter months.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. What's your opinion on an Amourfend kit for the front end and possibly rear quarters. There's hardly any stone chips at the front, and I'd REALLY like to keep it that way.

Cheers.:)

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Gonna buy the Super Resin Polish and EGP in the next hour from Halfrauds. Planning on using it on my Dad's Rover 75 first as it's much more in need of polish than my Clio.

However the paint on his 75 is metallic. Can Super Resin Polish be used on metallic?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Thanks Rich. The laquoer on the 75 is full of swirl marks, real bad ones. I dare say machining would be better but I don't wanna pay out to have it done professionally.

The car has never been polished in it's 6 years of life!!!!:S

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Just started applying the Super Resin Polish. Weather is perfect here in Essex. Cloudy but warm with no sight of rain clouds.

The Polish is making a MASSIVE difference to the 75's paintwork. The nasty bloom and countless swirl marks are slowly disappearing.:) :)

Would it better to apply several coats rather try and tackle the job in one go?

106 GTi
SRP masks alot of swirls with its fillers to hide them aswell as removing minor ones, it wont actually layer up like a sealant or wax, but a few applications may help depending on paint condition.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Right, I see, the imperfections aren't actually removed via the polish, just masks em'. The paint aint in great condition at all. Most of the bloom has now gone from half of the car which I'm tackling right now. Still a great deal of hair line scratches in the lacquoer. Using one hell of alot of elbow grease!:dapprove:

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Finished the polishing. Applied the EGP. Perhaps a little too much I think. I had to buff the paintwork with some effort to remove the EGP.

It does deffinatley shine more than it used to but not as much as I was hoping for. Swirl marks are still there as noticeable when caught in sunlight.:(

A wax will be applied after the next wash.

106 GTi
The SRP was never going to do much on the Swirls. Less is more with the EGP when you think it is thin enough it is still too thick. Allowing it to sit on the paint long enough is a must.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Thanks and noted. I left it for about 1/2 an hour, was concerned it might rain. Next time I'll leave it for longer.:)

At least my old man is happy with it. To be honest I was using his car as a guinea pig for the SRP and EGP as I've never used these type of prducts before.

I've got a pretty big wax build up on my Clio. Would you suggest waiting several weeks until it's worn down until applying SRP and EGP. Thus saving myself the effort of applying more than one coat of SRP?

106 GTi
SRP will remove whatever is on there anyway. I would try and get the EGP by the end of the month.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Will do. The next time I have a few days off (rota permiting) I'll be using the SRP and EGP on the Clio.:)

106 GTi
No need to SRP and EGP every week waste of products, so is wacking on a coat of wax every week if the wax is durable, but I used to all the time !

I just wash and QD now and wax once a month or so.

Broken Diesel Megane :(
i am looking to order the jeffs acrylic kit from polished bliss (on offer just now with 10% off), is it the best thing to use over winter out there? ie very quick and easy to use etc.

also, what does it offer over the carnuaba kit?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Following the pleasing results on my Dad's Rover 75 by using SRP and EGP, today the Clio followed suit.

After the SRP was applied and removed the paint looked even better, which I didn't think was possible!

EGP now apllied in a less quantity than on the 75. Waiting for it to dry now. Will be removed in 45 mins.

Decided to hang up my old chamois leathers in favour of microfibre. Just which microfibre should I use? and where to purchase? Obvioulsy quality and performance is issue from the product, but don't want buy anything outrageously expensive.