ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The best way to clean my car is.....?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
The job is finished.

The results are very pleasing indeed!!!:)

Very true, less is more with EGP. Although I have found now that the atmosphere is becoming moist outside, a certain damp haze is appearing on the roof. Like a condensation. Perhaps something to do with a temparature change air/paintwork.

How often to think I need to use the SRP based on mileage of 17-20K per annum? Also when is it advisable to use EGP at any stage of cleaning apart from just the SRP sequence?

Thanks.:)

106 GTi
EGP is not one to use in the damp - would try not to use it after about 4 pm ish at this time a year.

EGP can be good for 3 odd months, I tend to re SRP once in spring as part of the post winter clean up and again in Autumn during the winter prep. If you do use it remember you will need to re EGP again as it will strip it.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Noted. Thanks for the advice.

I'll be waxing her in the next couple of weeks. I've used up my bottle of Turtle Wax Orginal. Any recomendations on what to replace it with. Not too bothered if I have to buy it on line or off the shelf. Not too pleased with Meguiars Gold Class that I've used once before.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Any ideas with the wax Rich?:)

Plenty of choice. 7MAT on here is sellin the Dodo range, been using them for the past 4 months - Happy with the results.

Just switched to Swissvax ONYX, it's a similar priced wax and i'm hoping for good results.

Also consider 50:50 from chemical guys or Victoria concours.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Any ideas with the wax Rich?:)

Plenty of choice. 7MAT on here is sellin the Dodo range, been using them for the past 4 months - Happy with the results.

Just switched to Swissvax ONYX, it's a similar priced wax and i'm hoping for good results.

Reasonably easy to use? An improvement over Meguiars Gold Class?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Reasonably easy to use? An improvement over Meguiars Gold Class?

Completely different type of product. The above are Carnuba based/hard waxes.

The gold class "Old stuff" is actuallt very good imo, i've got some left. And it's still on my shelf! Megs changed it a few yrs ago and it became crap!

106 GTi
The Problem with Gold Glass is it is not a pure carnuba wax, the other products in it will try and remove the EGP layer.

All depends on budget - if you have 40 odd quid to spend on Wax go for the Swissvax Onyx. Looking for something cheaper then the Dodo Range or Chemical Guys 50/50 are worth a look.

Turbo LY R27
Sure you have been asked this loads Rich. i have a black 182 the same as yours, what actually gets rid of swirl marks not hides them. The previous owner of my car was a woman and was car washed, got some marks on the doors. i have spent months getting rid of them, recentlu been using megs scratchx ( the new version) works pretty well. will it actually get rid of them. Just lookin for a bit of advice please mate as everytime i see a picture of your black 182 i wanna sell mine and get another colour ha ha, either that or you are a very good photographer ha ha!

Mito Sportiva 135
Yes you are right, this has been asked LOADS of times before.

Scratch X will remove fine scratches and swirls but its designed to use on localised areas, it will take you hours to do the whole car properly and your arm may well melt.

Best advice is either to buy a PC or UDM or pay someone to do it for you. Once its done then with care and good products you should be able to stop most swirls, although its inevitable you will still get some over time.

106 GTi
As above on the Machine Polish- I gave up trying to get a finish by hand on mine - a decent machine polish is a must. After hours with the scratch X and hand I realised it was never going to get a finish I was happy with.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
When I purchased my Impreza I was given a quite a few Swissol cleaning products with fabric carry case.

Is Swissol the old name for Swissvax, or are they two different companies?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I've disovered that Swissol Samurai wax is included in the collection. There's half a tub left. Is it any good? worth using?

Also Swissol Autobahn, from reading the instructions is appears to be a wheel wax.

Lastly a Swissol Paint Rubber. Looks to be putty for claying paintwork.

Has anybody used any of these products. Unsure of how old they are, or when purchased. Within last two years possibly.

106 GTi
Samurai wax is effectivley a reformulated Onyx for Japanise paint - not sure how much I believe in Marque specific waxes, it should be as good as Onyx though.

Autobahn Wheel Wax is a nice product, use that one myself.

As long as the pint rubber - which is a clay bar is still soft and plyable and has not dried out it will be fine, as should the waxes.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Indeed. Just discovered an instruction booklet with the carry case stating that various waxes have been formulated to specific manufacturers paint. As you say Samurai for Jap paint, hence being bought for the Impreza by it's previous owner.

The manual also states that Onyx gives best results on darker paintwork. This is the reason you purchased?

Yeah the waxes seem ok. Although I've not come across these types previously as I've not used Swissol or Swissvax before. The Samurai is smells good but seems alot firmer than that of liquid waxes. This is normal?

In the manual it says to use Swissol Cleaner Fluid (pre wax oil) before using any Swissol Wax. Will this be necessary as EGP and SRP have been used? Although the EGP and SRP treatment took place four weeks previoulsy, but with no wax being applied afterwards. A bottle of Swissol Cleaner Fluid is in the carry case also along with two black applicator pads, a larger white pad and white Swissol terry towel cloth.

Thanks for the advice Rich.:)

106 GTi
If you use the CF it will remove the EGP.

You have the choice to use the CF and go straight to the wax or use the AG SRP and EGP then just use the Samurai.

The Onyx is the entry level Swissvax which is why I went for it, It is fine on any colour. Run your fingers round the top of the pot to warm the wax up an it will soon become soft. As paste waxes go it is one of the softer ones.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
So the Swissol Cleaner Fluid is form of Polish?

I'll use the Samurai, when weather permits. Would've done it today but the weather is against me.:(

Mito Sportiva 135
In this weather we could all use a little of Cusco Kid's all singing, all dancing, miracle spray wax with Teflon, which, according to him, means you NEVER HAVE TO WASH YOUR CAR AGAIN!!!

Wonder what happened to that guy...he added some much needed controversy to this forum!

106 GTi

I'll use the Samurai, when weather permits. Would've done it today but the weather is against me.:(

More of a paint cleaner than a polish. Cleans the paint to allow the wax to bond properly.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
In this weather we could all use a little of Cusco Kid's all singing, all dancing, miracle spray wax with Teflon, which, according to him, means you NEVER HAVE TO WASH YOUR CAR AGAIN!!!

Wonder what happened to that guy...he added some much needed controversy to this forum!

Never have to wash you again eh? Don't suppose he knew of a product which eliminated shaving as well, or perhaps a shampoo which deleted the need to wash one's hair ever again?:)

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

More of a paint cleaner than a polish. Cleans the paint to allow the wax to bond properly.

SRP and EGP are the better way to go than ignoring Swissol Cleaner Fluid in you opinion.

Also the Der Wunder towels have arrived. Used the other day, both of em on friends Fiesta. Seem to require more effort than a chamois leather. Improve over time?

Mito Sportiva 135
He probably could sell you those things, yes. He invented them between teaching Jesus to walk on water and curing polio...

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
He probably could sell you those things, yes. He invented them between teaching Jesus to walk on water and curing polio...

My, my what an amazing gentleman, a true prodigy. He must be working for the military by now designing cloaking devices or perhaps he's advising God on the best solution for the human race.:approve:

106 GTi

SRP and EGP are the better way to go than ignoring Swissol Cleaner Fluid in you opinion.

Also the Der Wunder towels have arrived. Used the other day, both of em on friends Fiesta. Seem to require more effort than a chamois leather. Improve over time?

Not sure re. the first question my 182 gets CF and wax, if it lived outside it would get sealant and wax like my daily drive does. All depends on usage and storage.

Should not do, use it to blot and absorb the water rather than wipe as you would a chamois, does get better after a couple of uses though.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

Not sure re. the first question my 182 gets CF and wax, if it lived outside it would get sealant and wax like my daily drive does. All depends on usage and storage.

Should not do, use it to blot and absorb the water rather than wipe as you would a chamois, does get better after a couple of uses though.

Sure. Since I'm covering up to 17K per annum I'll stick with the routine EGP and SRP treatment. Also car isn't garaged over night.

Thanks for the info on the Der Wunder Towels.:)

Mito Sportiva 135
A sealant is a must really if you drive the car a lot and is parked outside over winter, a wax will protect the finish but sealant adds to the durability. Road salt especially can be a b**ch to your finish. Make sure to do the wheels too though!

106 GTi
Depends how durable the wax is though - lots of cars out there done by pros wearing just Vintage or even cheaper waxes such as BOS stand alone over CF or HD Cleanse.

Mito Sportiva 135
Haha...I would if I could my friend!

Although been thinking, if I get a company car then there is no incentive for me to keep it looking good really, as they are changed every 3 months. What will I do with myself, might have to spend my money on a gf or something!! There is only so much caranuba one man can handle...

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Sun shines here in Essex currently, for long I'm unsure.

Going to wash the car immediately and follow with the Samurai wax. However, without Cleaner Fluid (pre wax oil) will the Samurai adhere well? Considering the paint was treated to EGP about four weeks back. Would it be better to use another wax?

Also does Onyx require Cleaner Fluid?

Thanks.

106 GTi
Swissvax will say to use the CF before any of there waxes.

IMO just wack a coat on over the EGP after washing.