ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The £600 Cup Track Build

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
was speaking to a guy at work with regards to cleaning gearboxes etc

apparently, Mr. Muscle oven cleaner is the stuff

spray on, leave for 10 minutes then pressure wash off. You just need to make sure you pop the driveshaft back in on the wet side to stop water ingress

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing exciting to update really apart from a couple of boring pictures!

Had my first day on it yesterday since the last update so started plugging everything back up. Still waiting on a radiator, alternator, Samco coolant hoses and injectors so there's not much more I can do at the moment. Built the suspension back up for something to do, need to fit the new shocks and track rods and that'll be done.

Ordered some disks yesterday from @g172 which arrived today, amazing service!

16288326575_b94a25c6bf.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

16102465697_b09a5345bc.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Audi B5 RS4,Clio 172
This builds awesome Arran, when you hoping to get it finished for? Definitely looks more like a show car than a track car but I can appreciate having a cleaned fetish!
When you planning on doing your first track day? There's a 4hour open pit track day run by trackscotland at knockhill on 28th of February, normally quite a few 172/182 out on track including mine.
When you expecting the Golf R? My mate got his just before Christmas still need a run in it but should be pretty sweet

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
This builds awesome Arran, when you hoping to get it finished for? Definitely looks more like a show car than a track car but I can appreciate having a cleaned fetish!
When you planning on doing your first track day? There's a 4hour open pit track day run by trackscotland at knockhill on 28th of February, normally quite a few 172/182 out on track including mine.
When you expecting the Golf R? My mate got his just before Christmas still need a run in it but should be pretty sweet

Cheers mate! Shouldn't be much longer on it i wouldn't think, hopefully get on track this spring sometime. Im wanting a cage before I'm on track though so could be summer.

Golf is canceled now unfortunately, was getting pissed around on price/delivery :down:

Audi B5 RS4,Clio 172
Ah not good about the golf Arran, my mate was getting pissed about by VW in Edinburgh aswell. Ended up going to Aberdeen to get his but that was after they had sold the one he drove up for. Mental waiting time on them.
Yeah was thinking on a half cage for mine soon just grudge the extra weight lol

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Few more parts arrived this week, no pictures of the NGK plugs but got them fitted earlier, only need a bracket for the alternator and should 'run'.

Anyway here's what turned up:

Forge coolant hoses
16334869651_2c1c9ea70d.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Alloy Radiator
16150751347_19f09026d2.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Ktec top mount service kit
16150451579_dbb55473b9.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Trial fitted everything to see how it looked, starting to come together nicely!

15714201644_179eff90d0.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

15716712393_4154c700f3.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Can't wait to get in running so I can move on to more exciting things like stripping the interior and getting the some seats in!

Few more parts arrived this week, no pictures of the NGK plugs but got them fitted earlier, only need a bracket for the alternator and should 'run'.

Anyway here's what turned up:

Forge coolant hoses
16334869651_2c1c9ea70d.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Alloy Radiator
16150751347_19f09026d2.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Ktec top mount service kit
16150451579_dbb55473b9.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Trial fitted everything to see how it looked, starting to come together nicely!

15714201644_179eff90d0.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

15716712393_4154c700f3.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Can't wait to get in running so I can move on to more exciting things like stripping the interior and getting the some seats in!
Gorgeous work. Too nice to track it now. [emoji41]

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Amazing work mate.

Makes me want to take my engine out and get my sub frame powder coated. :wink:

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Turned the car over today for the first time... And it started :smile:!!

Happy to say the least, it's reving very high when on though so air must be getting in somewhere, still need to block the pipe on the rocker and get a oring for underneath the manifold so hopefully that solves the issue.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
The work gone into this is just incredible. Fair play to you great to see so much time effort and money being put in to bring a tired cup back to life and better than ever. Following this thread now.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Turned the car over today for the first time... And it started :smile:!!

Happy to say the least, it's reving very high when on though so air must be getting in somewhere, still need to block the pipe on the rocker and get a oring for underneath the manifold so hopefully that solves the issue.

I think I've found the issue......

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
The work gone into this is just incredible. Fair play to you great to see so much time effort and money being put in to bring a tired cup back to life and better than ever. Following this thread now.

Thanks matey!

I think I've found the issue......

Yep just blocked it there and worked perfect, stupidly forgot about the breather pipe at the back first time as well!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I mind going through my toolbag at Knockhill looking for the right bolt to put in the carbon canister pipe for Stu just after he's ripped it off on the grass. Doesn't take much to make them run like s**t!

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Well with the car running I focused on getting it back on the ground, bit hassle with the shocks not lining up with the hubs but a jack and wood sorted that out.

The manifolds off because I had to take the exhaust manifold off to get the starter motor hear sheild on (pain in the arse).

So basicallly now all I need to do is build the brakes back up with new seals, make an alternator bracket, for new track rod ends and mount the battery and it should be ready for an MOT!

Some current pictures, fotted the front bumper again with the arch liners and fogs removed:

16418640651_d2956ce461_c.jpg
Untitled by Arran Bell, on Flickr

16418643221_471f1f2c7e_c.jpg

16233013470_86b8874a33_c.jpg

15800357993_1fa8d9e812_c.jpg

16234189619_51acefd5d1_c.jpg

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Few parts arrived today, the most important being the caliper rebuild kit so i can get the brakes back on.

Ordered some DS2500's and braided lines to go with them.

16433096711_2b40a09a21_z.jpg
20150203_125123
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Aerocatches for the bonnet and front bumper.
16433098881_c8c08d07a4_z.jpg
20150203_125057
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

MAD 20mm spacers for the front.
15812332264_03618c643e_z.jpg
20150203_125223
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

And a oil breather, need to sort a catch can but this will do for now.
16247191438_e66b68dd39_z.jpg2
0150203_125142
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Im away to work on Monday for 2 weeks so hopefully before then ill have the car pretty much done. I've still got an electrical issue somewhere, I'm guessing its a bad earth so will have to have a look at that at some point as well.

Having no luck finding a Volvo alternator bracket so the mrs dad is going to knock me something up at work of similar design, looking forward to that.

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
probably a gearbox earth arran

Pity you hadn't said about the spacers,

I'm selling 25mm fronts with the pms stud kit in them
and I've got the pms studs in the back running 16mm spacers on them

spaces mines out just braw

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
probably a gearbox earth arran

Pity you hadn't said about the spacers,

I'm selling 25mm fronts with the pms stud kit in them
and I've got the pms studs in the back running 16mm spacers on them

spaces mines out just braw

Yeah got it sorted mate reckon it was the top gearbox one after I'd painted it!

Spacers would of been good but 25mm is to much I think, the 20mm ones I've got are looking on the limit id say. Would of been perfect though having the studs as well!

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member