ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test drove ph2 172 and I am very impressed. So what is the ph1 like?

rs clio ph1 172
I have owned quite a few hot hatches and the only one i have not had or been in is the clio 172.
I was really impressed by the way the car went and how it revved from 1000 all the way to 7.5k rpm!
i am thinking of getting one. can anyone advise if the ph1 is a better car and as quick or quicker and what are the differences between them two?
i liked the handling on the ph2 but i have never been in a ph1 or any other clio 172.182 etc.
i really like the look of the ph1 clio sport as it looks much more aggresive.

can anyone advise and what modifications and images would be great?
thanks
and sorry of this topic has been covered a zillion times.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Test drove ph2 172 and I am very impressed. So what is the ph1 like?.

Better. ;)

But seriously....

The ph1's are generally a little faster and have received the nickname "Ph-quick".

The Ph1 has a cable throttle, as opposed to the electric FBW found on the ph2, making them more of an enthusiasts car to drive, it's good if you like a pedal with more feel.

The ph1 is also more distinguishable from a non sport, as you already said, it looks more aggressive.

It also has a better airbox setup as standard, ph2 owners often us a ph1 style box as they're proven to give better power.

The ph1 is also lighter than the standard ph2, but not the cup.

15" o.z f1 wheels also means (in my opinion), out of the box, the ph1 handles better.

Hope that helps.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive also found the ph1 has a much better mid range pull, dunno if its just my car but it pulls better mid range than my old modified ph2, but the ph2 pulled better top end when modded.

im glad i made the swap, dash isnt that bad ;)

rs clio ph1 172
Thanks for the comments and most are as i expected, seems that normally the phase1 shapes for most cars seem to be better.
interior wise i would say i am not impressed by the ph2 so it wont bother me with the ph1 interior - french interiors as par usual.
Can anyone advise on common things to check before buy on ph1?
and high milers are they ok?
also what modifications are worth while and what benefits and power do they achieve.

Where can i find the reviews and test versus when these were new from the mags like autocar and evo?
cheers

People who have a Ph1 will say that's the best.
People who have a Ph2 will say that's the best.

Drive them both and see what you think. A simple search will bring up the other 892798898 threads on the subject.

A tidy Phase2 interior is pretty good IMO. The Phase1 interior was well past it even when the first 172s first came out, the design and plastics are nowhere near as good.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
ph1 is a better car imo. Feels more involving while driving and alot better looking as said. Looks more agressive.
I wouldn't worry about millage aslong as its had the belts done and can see its not smoking/knocking ect. As they are pretty strong engines.

The usual; matched inlets, filter, exhaust and map will free up some ponies.

Stripped yozza'd cup
What Revels said, everyone will choose their own car.

I'd like to think I'm fairly impartial here as I have only owned my cup for a few months and have toyed with trading it in for a ph1...... The points I considered are:

- PH1's are cheaper, leaving more immediate cash for mods.
- I prefer the look of the front of the PH1, but the back of the ph2. A lot of people put the PH2 rear bumper on their PH1
- Cable throttle on the PH1 is said to be a big plus, but I find the FBW on my cup perfectly acceptable to use (is the cup different to the FF in this respect?)
- The PH2 cup is the lightest, and has no Air con, abs, traction control etc. This, IMO makes for a better driving experience and less power loss.
- I've driven a PH1 and own a cup, but never a FF 1*2 (barring a short test drive when I was shopping around). There's very little to tell between them IMO, the interior in the ph1 is pretty poor, but that's an easy fix.
- As above, the PH1 has a slightly better Cylinder head and a slightly better airbox, but they're very minor differences.

After spending a long time deciding what to buy in the first place, and then wondering whether I'd made the right decision, I'm glad I stuck with the cup.

I would suggest that the only real thing that seperates the PH1 and the cup is the relative luxury you'll get in the PH1 (air con, TC, half leather seats etc etc) The poverty spec seats in the cup put a lot of people off. But always bare in mind that there are a few cups around with AC as an optional extra.

If you're planning on modding it, then there's literally nothing between them. Every advantage from each model is easily transferrable to the other.

These engines are notoriously difficult to get serious power gains out of. If you want 200hp+ you're looking at ITB's or forced induction, which is expensive. As said above though, exhaust, matched inlets, PH1 airbox (if you choose a PH2) and a new panel filter, will see you in some more usable mid rage power and a bit of peak.

Last edited:
  Rusty Cup
I happily accept the ph1 is probably a faster/better car than the ph2 but i do prefer the look of the ph2 (more 182 than 172) only downside worth noting on a ph1 is the gearbox circlip issue and given that 1*2 box's are ropey full stop it would be of some concern to me.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
isn't there a company on here that does something with the circlip to stop it happening if you have a gearbox recon with them?

Mk5 golf gti
the phase 1 feels alot tighter and more track focussed than the phase 2

hence why i went to a phase 1 after the phase 2

especially with alu bonnet and shift light ;)

rs clio ph1 172
the phase 1 feels alot tighter and more track focussed than the phase 2

hence why i went to a phase 1 after the phase 2

especially with alu bonnet and shift light ;)
can you advise what it is like to own and what are its pro's and cons?
and reliability?

Ph 1 172
Phase 1 is much better all round driving experience, they also look much better and feel more urgent when giving it some beans due to the cable throttle. Dont let the Phase 2 fun boys sprout hit about the interior, it's not anywhere near as bad as they make out. Running coat are cheap, I get on average around town 27+mpg with spirited b road blast easily 48+mpg on motorway. Only downside is that the phase 2 has shorter gear ratios as it weighs more than the phase 1 but same bhp(they had to do this to try make it as quick as the phase 1). Never had a issue with my phase 1 in 2 years ownership just make sure you get one that's been looked after.

O and gearboxs are only weak if mistreated

rs clio ph1 172
Phase 1 is much better all round driving experience, they also look much better and feel more urgent when giving it some beans due to the cable throttle. Dont let the Phase 2 fun boys sprout hit about the interior, it's not anywhere near as bad as they make out. Running coat are cheap, I get on average around town 27+mpg with spirited b road blast easily 48+mpg on motorway. Only downside is that the phase 2 has shorter gear ratios as it weighs more than the phase 1 but same bhp(they had to do this to try make it as quick as the phase 1). Never had a issue with my phase 1 in 2 years ownership just make sure you get one that's been looked after.

cheers mate sounds spot on to me! i have allways thought ph1 is the true 172 car, and phase 2 for the mass public.
also if the ratios are shorter on ph2 surely the top end would not be as good then?
that might be why renualt upgraded to 16" alloys then!

Ph 1 172
Not sure what top end speed is on each gear in the phase 2 but quite possible that it would be fractional slower. Also I think phase 1 172 are becoming slightly rarer now. Where abouts are you based I'm sure if there is a meet near by someone would let you jump in there phase 1 to see what it's like as a passenger, that's what I did anyways lol

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

I don't see how the cable throttle will make it feel more urgent, surely its the standard/output of the engine that makes one feel more urgent than the other. Looks are a personal thing so that's rubbish and the running costs are the same, give or take... Oh and I very much doubt that you will "easily" get 48+ mpg on the motorway as good as they all are on mpg...

Revels is right you need to drive them both and see which you prefer. Personally I'd take the one that was in the best condition, either or...

rs clio ph1 172
I don't see how the cable throttle will make it feel more urgent, surely its the standard/output of the engine that makes one feel more urgent than the other. Looks are a personal thing so that's rubbish and the running costs are the same, give or take... Oh and I very much doubt that you will "easily" get 48+ mpg on the motorway as good as they all are on mpg...

Revels is right you need to drive them both and see which you prefer. Personally I'd take the one that was in the best condition, either or...
i think looks are to a certain point, but if somethings ugly then there is not much that can be done about it!sorry if this sounds vein but looks on a car are allways important as your gonna be seeing the thing everyday. regarding mpg you are correct, but it gives me an idea of what i will achieve if i did drive sensible.
if the ph1 drives anything like the ph2 did then i think for me i will buy a ph1 hands down plus you get a choice of engines.

Ph 1 172
Several members on here have spoken about the delay of the fbw also after driving a phase 2 did not feel it to be as urgent, 48mpg isnot that hard on a long run, I'm not a fast driver on the motorway just a easy 55-60mph. Just my own person view mate

Absolutely love the look of the ph1 and would have one anyday. I had around 5k to spend though so a 182 seemed a more practical choice.

Besides, as cool as the Ph1 looks it is starting to look a little dated IMO.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Several members on here have spoken about the delay of the fbw also after driving a phase 2 did not feel it to be as urgent, 48mpg isnot that hard on a long run, I'm not a fast driver on the motorway just a easy 55-60mph. Just my own person view mate

Tbh the clio is the first FBW car I owned and I don't really find any difference apart from not been as stiff over time. The urgency will very from one clio to another be it Ph1, Ph2 and 182. We all know how power out puts can vary with these cars and thats what sets any one apart from the others. Driving on the motorway like a normal person, ie doing around 70 and the mpg is not quite that good... Although it's still very good!

Mk5 golf gti
now can you understand why i asked the question? surely you could limit the amount of search results?
thanks for the tip

LOL he has a point, some people like discussing it anyway

can you advise what it is like to own and what are its pro's and cons?
and reliability?

Yes mate its great to own, this is my second phase 1

comfartable and good mpg, i average 37mpg
i like working on it now im use to it lol its a great all round car which is perfect to use on track days etc
i love phase 1's and i seem to compare every car i buy to them, so i figured ill just have one permanently

reliability is fine if looked after if they have been driven hard then thats fine, but lack of oil changes etc could result in dephaser pulley problems for example (sounds like a traotr on idle once warm) so look for that

apart from that you will be sweet, i personally havent come across the circlip issue

check out my new one http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?558841-Dunn-s-Black-Phase-1-172

rs clio ph1 172
LOL he has a point, some people like discussing it anyway

Yes mate its great to own, this is my second phase 1

comfartable and good mpg, i average 37mpg
i like working on it now im use to it lol its a great all round car which is perfect to use on track days etc
i love phase 1's and i seem to compare every car i buy to them, so i figured ill just have one permanently

reliability is fine if looked after if they have been driven hard then thats fine, but lack of oil changes etc could result in dephaser pulley problems for example (sounds like a traotr on idle once warm) so look for that

apart from that you will be sweet, i personally havent come across the circlip issue

check out my new one http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?558841-Dunn-s-Black-Phase-1-172
I was looking at a black one too! i also spotted a silver one and i am tuning more to the silver for some strange reason? as i dont like silver but they look spot on! espcially with black wheels.
whats the blue seatbelt trs thing for?
how come your on a second one?

Mk5 golf gti
I was looking at a black one too! i also spotted a silver one and i am tuning more to the silver for some strange reason? as i dont like silver but they look spot on! espcially with black wheels.
whats the blue seatbelt trs thing for?
how come your on a second one?

its a tow strap for being towed off the track lol, just looks good
yeh i had a silver one was a good car
then after that after a few cars i ended up with a phase 2, didnt really like it and i crashed it so had couple more cars then bought this phase 1

rs clio ph1 172
its a tow strap for being towed off the track lol, just looks good
yeh i had a silver one was a good car
then after that after a few cars i ended up with a phase 2, didnt really like it and i crashed it so had couple more cars then bought this phase 1
tow strap that would look good in blue on a silver car.
what didnt you like abt the ph2? i drove one and never driven a 172 before and was really impressed at the response of the thing. pulled strong all the way to shift point.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
i had a mint low mileage williams 3 years ago, then after a few other cars i bought a brand new 172 cup, then after a few scoobs i am now in a ph1 flame red 172, have to say i have been really really impressed with it, great little car, drives spot on, has new shocks and eibach springs handles on rails, quick too, mines is standard engine wise. from memory the cup was slightly quicker, the williams about the same power wise. loved all of the clios iv owned, hence why i went back to one when i wanted something cheap but fun to run around in. made the right choice, had a smile on my face on the drive back after buying it as i had forgotten what fun cars the rs clios are. buy a ph1, you wont regret it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
interior doesnt look that bad if you get a fresh looking one in good nick i prefered the ph2 interior when i had one when it was new but these days the ph2 interior isnt that great anyway so the ph1 doesnt look to bad, infact ive started to like it more than the ph2 one! the buttons and stuff feel a bit more old skool but i like that! mine is mint inside though....

dsc0090uq.jpg

dsc0084ii.jpg

like i said ive had both and personally wouldnt go back to a ph2, if i wanted something nice inside with toys id buy a 197/200, if i wanted something old skool basic just for the driving experiance id go ph1, thats my opinion anyway

Mk5 golf gti
TBH i honestly prefer the phase 1 interior

and the gear stick is perfect lol very true

rs clio ph1 172
interior doesnt look that bad if you get a fresh looking one in good nick i prefered the ph2 interior when i had one when it was new but these days the ph2 interior isnt that great anyway so the ph1 doesnt look to bad, infact ive started to like it more than the ph2 one! the buttons and stuff feel a bit more old skool but i like that! mine is mint inside though....

like i said ive had both and personally wouldnt go back to a ph2, if i wanted something nice inside with toys id buy a 197/200, if i wanted something old skool basic just for the driving experiance id go ph1, thats my opinion anyway
i think the interior looks spot on.

That's on here. Price is too high and it's been for sale for months and months.

Plus I always ignore adverts that get the car wrong. That isn't a 'ClioSport'