ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tempermental speedo and weird throttle response

Clio 172 cup
picked up my 1st 172 cup on monday :D... Been driving around abit and ive noticed that i dont seem to get the same throttle reponse in 4th and 5th as i do in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It feels like i have to press the pedal down abit further in 4th and 5th to get the car to accelerate :s

As for the speedo that just seems to work when it wants but i did notice that when the speedos not working the car picks up better in 4th and 5th....

any help would be much apprecaited

Clio 172 Cup
Mine did exactly the same mate, checked speed sensor, all seemed ok but still not working reliably , so changed it for a new one and now works perfectly!

Clio 172 cup
so ive changed the sensor seems to have solved the speedo problem but throttle response is still poor any ideas?

Clio Trophy
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm having the exact same issue.

I would have excellent throttle response in 1st-3rd but in 4th you would need to push the pedal down a fair way more than the other gears. When the speedo stopped though the throttle response in 4th suddenly improved.

I have replaced the speedo sensor fixing that issue but still have the lackluster throttle response in 4th gear.

Did you ever find out what it was caused by?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Mine has always done exactly the same in 4th/5th, it's definitely a deliberate feature IMO.

My speedo is currently intermittant, and when it drops out (and can't calculate the gear you're in) the throttle response changes while in gear.

Clio Trophy
Thanks Adalis, maybe I'm worrying over nothing then.

I only started to notice it when the speedo dropped out, but now i know it's there it's really annoying.

I wonder what reason there was for this feature? I could understand it in 1st gear to limit wheelspin etc but in 4th/5th seems to be an odd gear to choose.

I wonder if there is a gear-position sensor that can be unpluged......

Last edited:

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I _think_ it just does a speed/revs calculation, doesn't seem like anything as clever as gear sensor.

When the speedo isn't working the throttle response is a bit much in 4th/5th for motorway use, you barely have to put any pressure on the pedal to do 80+. I imagine it's done for motorway drive-ability.

Clio Trophy
I guess that does make sense for cruising on the motorway.

For a B-road blaster though I'd personally like it to be crisp the whole way through.

I wonder if an RS-Tuner map would alter it. At least I know I'm not alone and the car is driving as it should!