ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

T4RKO 172 Cup

I thought you were selling the ITB's?
Got one offer on them for £300 less than I bought them for last month so decided now to. I got the Blue Cup cheap and am going to swap the engines over and all my other new bits and maybe put the ITB's on at the same time as the engine swap. Watch this space. :wink:

Let's get cracking:

943FAAB9-E594-44E2-B9A3-4D883B7FEAAB.jpg

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Got one offer on them for £300 less than I bought them for last month so decided now to. I got the Blue Cup cheap and am going to swap the engines over and all my other new bits and maybe put the ITB's on at the same time as the engine swap. Watch this space. :wink:

Don't blame you keeping them, I would almost ready to buy a set from Ktec but my sensible head talked me out of it but if I had them in front of me they would be fitted.

You could get a nice 2 post lift in there.

There is a loading bay in the same unit that is begging for a 2 post ramp! Maybe one day.

It's continent to do some jobs at home despite not having the best working environment. With these two cars being a major project and not a 5 min job I thought it would be easier to do it inside and spend a large chunk of time each visit as its a few miles from my house.

Jenvey wanted £75 to cut some holes in a filter box so I will give it a go myself as they have sent a template:

D2AD2CC4-F0BD-4D40-A439-1833F07B2ED7.jpg

I went for a 50mm deep box and 65mm filter so should be fine with the 90mm trumpets.

Come on people, this is a big job for me so I need lots of praise and encouragement! Lol

Got the engine out today all on my own which I a proud of. I will have to take more care with the other one but at least I have an idea what I need to do now.

A bit of ITB p**n for you too:

CD4BD469-4BAA-4934-8CEA-C3D35A195D7C.jpg

C07833C7-194D-49A1-9E1F-25D38E40B792.jpg

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I might have missed it matey but what was up with the engine in the blue cup? Bet those bent bits make it a nightmare to pull it apart, chop chop chop!

The silver car has just had a Cam Belt and Dephaser and the Blue one has a Dephaser rattle and needs a Dogbone bush. Just thought it would be cheaper for me to swap engines rather than get the belt and Dephaser done in the blue one. My long term plan will be to build a nice engine out of the spare one day.

I know it's painful having a crash but I bet you're secretly loving this, I find myself wanting another build project now the clio is almost done, I really miss tinkering with it at every available hour!

No I'm not enjoying it at all. Very stressful as the engine from the silver one is the good runner with a new cam belt and Dephaser but as it was left outside in the rain for two weeks the whole engine has started to corrode. The engine from the blue one has 30,000 less miles and is much better condition but needs a Dephaser. I don't have the tools or knowledge to swap the Dephaser over and I don't have the money to just get a Dephaser and cam belt on the blue engine. Plus I have electric power steering here to fit to the blue one which makes sense to do whilst the engine is out but I can't get my head around what I need to do and the topic about it is 20 odd pages long and seems to assume everyone knows how to "loop" the original rack and wire it all in. Then there is the exhuast to swap over too which is much more accessible with the engine removed to get at the cat pipe so need to do that too. Oh and Originally I did need all this done by today as I go away for three days as of tomorrow. Fortunately my friend has lent me his car but I still need to get it done between the 5th and 8th.

If I didn't need this car I would live to just take my time and make a real nice job of everything and do it over a longer time. That would be more enjoyable.

Yeah I had a good chat with Powervamp about the battery and they said it's just as powerful as the Oddesey but not made in US so may just not last as long. I have a charger and solar panel so hopefully will be able to keep it in tip top condition and it will last. If I lasts longer than half the time of the Oddesey then it's not false economy.

I will do the Dephaser and belts on the engine I have just removed but all this expense has come at a bad time so crashing the car and having to buy another (albeit cheap) has meant that pay day has took me out of my overdraft but starting this month at zero so not good really.

Keep plugging away mate, looking good so far. I'm waiting for my current engine to die before I take on this task, but I'll be very glad to not need it as a daily while I do it. Finding it difficult or just slow going?

Nah nothing too difficult or slow going really. Just quite a lot to do. Silver one was a pain as it was all crushed together but it gave me some experience for doing the blue one. Getting it back in wasn't too difficult but I wouldn't want to do it with a freshly painted engine bay! Lol.

Well I haven't been posting on here much but I have been a busy bee over the past few days. I had to go up to Aberdeen for three days so that put a hold on things but since getting back I have filled the gearbox with oil, fitted the radiator and actually got the car running.

Had a struggle with the Throttle Position Sensor wiring as I didn't have the look adapter and although Ktec were helpful on the phone we couldn't get to the bottom of it of which three wires went to the TPS.

Anyway a long story short is that I managed in the end after w while thinking the sensor wasn't working.

Just used crimps so I could plug and unplug to get it right.

807B14B8-7B63-499B-B6D7-0D7307DE13BE.jpg

Now I had the TPS working I could start setting the idle, TPS min and Max and balancing the bodies.
This didn't go down too well as it ran really rough and only running on two or three cylinders:

This morning I went about trying to find the issue why it wasn't running properly. I changed the plugs and injectors. More to follow soon....

Last edited:
Right I'm back from a trip to the pub for tea.

I took the plugs out of the engine this morning to find it had BOSCH plugs so swapped them out for the NGK R from the other engine. Both engines ran fine with either plugs but happy to have the NGK in the engine.

I also changed over the fuel rail and injectors. The throttle bodies came with them already installed so changed them out for the ones that were known to work a few days ago before stripping the engine.

I also spoke to K-Tec and got them to send me the latest base map so I knew I was working with the right map to start with. I then had to set up the TPS setting again.

I used the air flow meter to check they are balanced and both sides pulling about the same amount of air at about 19 litres per minute at 1275 revs at cold idle.

I'm still not convinced it's running spot on but want to get it drivable so I can get it fully warm and see how it goes under some load.

I went ahead and started on the air filter box.
I had the measurements from Jenvey but decided to do it using a cardboard template so I know it matches what I have. I first out some card up against the bodies and marked where the holes were. I then drilled these out.

149A2963-CDD7-4113-83BD-5CD92615784E.jpg

Once I knew the box would fit and the trumpets would fit too I went about measuring and marking out the large holes. I set up a mag drill on the bench to ensure everything was a accurate as I could get it:

8D05375F-79CC-4B90-91C6-1E3AB0F4AC6A_1.jpg

Well it appears I didn't take any photos showing straight down the trumpets but I did fit the air filter:

5C4346F6-F1D0-4B42-AA91-E0543CBB2234_1.jpg

Very pissed off at the carbon filter box though as you have to put the bottom of the filter through the holes and it puts pressure on the mounts when you squeeze the top together. First time I went to put the filter in properly this happened:

65F88473-07BD-42F7-B1AF-3BDBBBBF17C4_1.jpg

It cost £114 from Jenvey so will speak to them on Monday and see what they say as it should be designed to cope with the strain it is designed for as it's the only way to fit the filter.

I knew it would be a tight fit so I marked up under the bonnet and then started to remove the inner skin so the bonnet would close and leave room for the filter.

Did a rough job on the rough bonnet and fitted these bonnet catches for now to keep it secure until I get the Aero Catches sorted (my Dremel needs new brushes).

64D6BFA1-681B-4593-B2F6-2F5BE52CE9E8_1.jpg

I might use these for the bumper in the long run.

I also removed the fog lights and arch liners from the bumper and the black plastic that lives behind the bumper.

Oh and you may have noticed that I said I have had the car running but now it's got no radiator on again. Turns out the big box and filter won't fit with the original radiator so I have gone down the Polo route. No mounting solution is obvious so will make up some brackets tomorrow to hold it in place.

vectra+clio172 cup
Fair play mark, you are handling this all with great persistence. Keep going, and keep posting. Wish I had the garage space/ time at the minute to do the same. Watch this space!

A-Class AMG-Sport
Superb work over the last couple of weeks. Getting a lot more experience with these than you ever expected so maybe that's turned your crash into a positive (maybe??). Did you have to hire the hoist or did you have that anyway? Whats the difference between the weight of the standard battery and the Powervamp race battery?

I have accumulated a lot of parts for my project so I'll be setting about fitting them and getting the car on the track when I'm home next.

Thanks for the support.
I have managed to buy some more time by borrowing a car again to get myself up to Aberdeen for another course. Been up and down the 500 mile round trip 3 time in the last two weeks which is seriously hampering my progress.

At the moment I need a cut out in the bumper for the exhaust before I can secure the back box in its final position, fit the throttle cable and pedal for the ITBs and then fe for the bumper and front wheels.

I am also aware that I have lots of interest in the parts from the silver cup so need to pull my finger out and get it stripped post off the parts people have already paid for.

All that plus yesterday we picked up an old pony as a companion for my Wife's new horse so I had to do some electric fencing.

We also decided to try the chickens on sharp sand rather than shavings on the floor. Hopefully make it less dusty and easier to clean out. I have only done two out of the four pens but that involved a few hours shovelling out all the shavings and shovelling back in 1000kg of sand. The logistics of it meant it needed loading into a wheel barrow, tipping in through the door and then shovelling into the pens.

Oh and the first lot of eggs we incubates are now in their final stages and should be hatching in the next 3 days. I will get their own ready when I get home on Wednesday.

Had a 03:30 start this morning to drive to Aberdeen and had to stop by the lock up to pick up a few Clio parts to post.

That's all for now. :)

Superb work over the last couple of weeks. Getting a lot more experience with these than you ever expected so maybe that's turned your crash into a positive (maybe??). Did you have to hire the hoist or did you have that anyway? Whats the difference between the weight of the standard battery and the Powervamp race battery?

I have accumulated a lot of parts for my project so I'll be setting about fitting them and getting the car on the track when I'm home next.

The first engine I removed with a forklift as it was available during the week. The second engine we did with the hoist which I borrowed from a friend. Was easier with the fork lift mind you!

I will weigh the batteries and let you know the difference. I ordered it with the jump start pack which I wanted for other uses (lawn mower, motorbike, quad, tractor etc)

I wouldn't say I am a Clio expert just yet as I am yet to play with the engine internals, remove the dash or mess with wishbones, ARBs or rear axle but I certainly know them better than I did a few months ago! Lol

A few photos of the little 17 year old pony that arrived yesterday. Retired from a trekking center so now at ours just to chill out for the rest of its days and keep the horse company. It wont win any shows but has a cute little face! Only been there for a few minutes and they just stood munching away together:

31DAC313-D9AE-45D1-8533-BE539FB891A7.jpg

7FFB1C7B-B6B2-4779-950B-6BD320418ED6.jpg

And here is the chicken pens with the sharp sand down. The Mrs says its much easier to poo pick now with a cat litter scoop! lol

88D660F1-F23B-4B29-B560-B8E248BBA4A5.jpg

Just ordered another ton to do the other two pens. Give me something to do on Wednesday when I get home!!