ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

suspension setup

RB182 & Storm 200
Ive got a 182 FF. Ive done 2 track days so far after having it since summer last year and i am planning on doing more this year. ive not got a massive budget so I was thinking of going for eibachs, standard dampers and a whiteline arb. First question would be is this a good setup? if so which eibach springs? sportline or pro?

cheers

Lionel Richie
sportlines fella, bit of a tweek on the front camber and toe, whiteline is a definate, look at the pure motorsport top mounts and stut brace - another brilliant bit of kit

Lotus Elise
Good set-up add camber bolts to it too and you'll have some real fun. Can you stretch your budget to Koni dampers? Regarding springs doesn't matter a great deal but Id go Sportlines.

RB182 & Storm 200
cheers guys. have i started a domestic?:p
probably a stupid question but can you fit koni dampers with the eibach sportlines?

225 Cup & Williams
Sorry for hijacking your thread mate, Fred I'm thinking about doing some track days this year I've got brand new 172 cup shocks all round with new eibach sportlines, eibach camber bolts and a Whitline arb. What would be the best setup camber wise?

RB182 & Storm 200
great :) someone is selling GAZ coilovers in the for sales section for £300, would they be better than the eibach/koni combination?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
sportlines fella, bit of a tweek on the front camber and toe, whiteline is a definate, look at the pure motorsport top mounts and stut brace - another brilliant bit of kit

I'm extremely surprised that someone such as yourself is recommending an anti roll bar that bolts to nothing but a one piece rear beam.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
You can't see the issue with an antirollbar that mounts to nothing but a single moving suspension component?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Correct, which essentially already has an arb - it's stiff enough to lift a wheel at a whim so I'm not convinced a white line "arb" is doing its job - there needs to be significant flex in the first place for load transfer to happen, no?

Has anyone ever actually put it through back to back, reliable tests rather than a load of people saying "feels much better innit"? Lower, harder suspension "feels" better because it reduces roll - that doesn't mean your car is actually going to handle better, does it?

Dodgy one
There is a fair bit of flex in the rear beam, jack one side up from underneath near spring seat for example you'l see it give, ive often wondered why whiteline bolt one to the beam with exhaust clamps as they look, rather than replacing the original one with something thicker?

Lotus Elise
Has anyone ever actually put it through back to back, reliable tests rather than a load of people saying "feels much better innit"? Lower, harder suspension "feels" better because it reduces roll - that doesn't mean your car is actually going to handle better, does it?

I can say 100% YES it makes a difference. Trust me I know whether an ARB makes a difference I've tested mine on and off track, and I know how to handle car ;)

It makes your car handle better as it makes it more drivable on the throttle, increasing lateral grip and when the nose starts to push on a little lift brings the back round to nose the front of the car into the corner.

Try you will love it.

182cup & 172 racecar
We took one of these to Anglesey last year and did back to back testing.

Yes they do make a difference,adds another set up option.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
We took one of these to Anglesey last year and did back to back testing.

Yes they do make a difference,adds another set up option.

On the race car?

What were the differences both in the drive and lap time?

I don't dispute it's an additional adjustment, but it's a pretty fine adjustment, surely? I'm happy to be proved wrong with raw evidence such as back to back lap times under the same driver/car.

182cup & 172 racecar
When we got to Anglesey,we found the track very understeery.We made all the adjustments that we could with what we had,(damper settings and ride heights),we didn't have any spare springs with us.

So we connected up the arb,this turned a car that under steered into a well balanced set up.

Lap times by the end of the day were 6-7 sec quicker.Now some of this time would be due to Knowing the circuit better,but not all by any means,and not all because of the arb.

From the last run without the arb,I would say it was 1-2 sec a lap quicker,just by helping the car turn in.

That's what we needed on the day and it did the job just fine.
And yes I could tell the difference straight away when it was connected,it transformed the car completely.

ph1 172
May I add.

Koni do not make the dampers you are on about for a FF Clio. I would have bought them if they did! So I bought Sachs instead:)

Lionel Richie
mikeh - if you did a blind test (obviously not blind as that would be dangerous LOL) of 2 cars, 1 with and 1 without the whiteline you'd be surprised at the difference

instead of the rear wheels just being there to keep the rear of the car off the deck, the whiteline gives you the ability to actually "lean" on the rear tyres more, hard to describe, but try one and you'll see what i mean

for £170 its not breaking the bank, if you don't like it you'll sell it on for not far off what you paid for it

ph1 172
I bought them off of a chap from here. They were rebuilt 2k ago and the rears were new last year. I paid £650 including all top mounts.

If you want to know how good they are, just do a search on here:)

Clio RS 2.0 16v
Now I am using Eibach sportline and standard shock for my 172 phase 1.

Is it needed to cut the original bump stop a little to get sufficient shock travel distance?
If I go for Koni yellow adjustable shocks, is it needed to cut the bump stop?

Any people experienced this? Many thanks.

RB182 & Storm 200
I spoke to a mechanic over the weekend and he recommended putting the car on scales and working out the weight distribution between from and back. He said from that you can then lower just the rear to lower the centre of gravity so that the car is level (as all car are set up to take 4/5 people so they are naturally raised so that when passengers are in the car it becomes level and more satble to drive). Do people agree with this or not? Its not like it will save me money on the springs because ill have to buy them as a set anyway........

Lotus Elise
With just fitting springs, corner weighting is pointless as you can't adjust anything. Also I always found clios with a little to no rake never drive as well as ones with front to back rake. Its nice to have some rear roll oversteer in FWD IMO

Clio RS 2.0 16v
no need to cut bump stops.

Thank you for reply.

when I install the Eibach Sportline spring on Standard, I find there is only about 10mm left for shock travel and the bump stop was broken after driving few times for hill climb.
Do you think the Eibach Sportline sping reduce the travel distance and it is so limit for standard shocks? Or the car sit on the bump stop most of the time. When I remove the bump stop, I feel the car may go cornering more freely.

Does the Koni shocks body (Shorter body) offer more travel distance for car movement, so we don't need tocut the bump stop? please explain thanks!

The above problem make me hesitate to choose Koni shocks!