ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension knock when reversing then stopping

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all

I seem to have developed a bit of a knock when for example you are reversing then braking to change direction that's when it does it.

Top mounts are brand new and it was doing it before then. It doesn't knock over speed bumps etc.

Cheers

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
It's worth saying that the car also feels all over the place when pressing on! Feels like it's twitching left and right also the wheels tend to vibrate at around 60mph onwards.

Are these signs pointing to a failing driveshaft?

RB Clio 182
I also noticed today that when I accelerate heavily it pull to the right when I let go it dips left again.

This is what mine did mate, new bottom ball joint and swapped tyres around and it cured it (front two tyres were different tread depths.

Check your TRE for play too.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Changed ball joints and it hasn't fixed it at all.

The tyres are less than a thousand miles old also. Tracking was done last week

This knock also happens if you're coming to a halt I realised today, just happens now and again so to conclude:

Pulls right when accelerating, pulls left when decelerating, stays the same when coasting. loud knock as above and steering wheel wobble when driving.

Thanks!

Ph1 track slag
You say top mounts are brand new, did everything go back in as it came out when putting shocker back on.

172 Turbo
Mine does this, I've put it down to the pads moving in the calipers when you brake. The reason for doing this is, mine does it still but every part of the suspension has been replaced!

RB Clio 182
I think its the tyres mate, they are none directional so the tread is opposite on each side, mine did it, change your front wheels over, it worked for me.

Last edited:
  Clio 182
tyres causing a knocking? ... would be a new one on me, but anything is worth trying I guess.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I get the same Dan.
Can you feel the knock under your feet aswell?
Ive checked every bush, joint, you name it.
Am going to check the calipers next but I don't understand why I would feel it under the car?

Clio 182
The pulling right on acceleration and drifting left on deceleration smart arse.

alright dude, chill out, I'm not trying to be a smart arse ... that message might be read differently to how I meant it.... I'm just saying a knocking noise from tyres would be a new one on me. The wondering around the road, maybe, but can't see it being the tyres with the knocking noise too... seriously though, I am the last person who will ever mean any comment like a smart arse.

anyway, hope the OP fixes it, whatever it is

RB Clio 182
alright dude, chill out, I'm not trying to be a smart arse ... that message might be read differently to how I meant it.... I'm just saying a knocking noise from tyres would be a new one on me. The wondering around the road, maybe, but can't see it being the tyres with the knocking noise too... seriously though, I am the last person who will ever mean any comment like a smart arse.

anyway, hope the OP fixes it, whatever it is

I didn't mean smart arse in a knob head way, I meant it in a jokey way lol #cuddles

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I had this found out I had a leaky front damper..it would only weep. I only found out as my new girlfriend has (had) a lovely Tarmac parking space.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Has the nut that holds the top of the rear shocks loosened - you know the one in the boot under the black cone cover things.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
it could be 2 separate issues i suppose,
check to see if the upper gearbox mount is tight after it's removal,
if you still have your old wheels and tyres change the fronts, if not i'll lend you a pair to try

Clio 182
I didn't mean smart arse in a knob head way, I meant it in a jokey way lol #cuddles

ha ha, to be honest, I was writing my reply thinking I didn't mean to offend him, my message must have come accross in totally the wrong way... and then I had a second thought about whether I had read yours in the wrong way lol...... we will now promise to use smileys all the time :kissingheart: lol :wink:

RB Clio 182
ha ha, to be honest, I was writing my reply thinking I didn't mean to offend him, my message must have come accross in totally the wrong way... and then I had a second thought about whether I had read yours in the wrong way lol...... we will now promise to use smileys all the time :kissingheart: lol :wink:

Dont worry about it mate, its not like i was going to bite your nose off or anything :D

182cup & 172 racecar
I would check wishbone bushes, anti roll bar bushes. get somebody to get in the car and drive backwards and forwards, a couple of feet, whilst you lay on the ground next to the car.

You should be able to pin point then, did this to a friends C2 the other week, and it was wishbone.