ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sup.... < 35yrs old and still down wit da kids :)

Passat, Mini Cooper
Evening.....

One of the few forums I'm unusually not a member of, my username's been registered at some point in the last 15yrs on most car forums, and 1 of my many (about 2) passwords generally works.... :)

Anyway, I'm Phil (you probably wouldn't have guessed by looking at my username), I'm currently living/Working in Norfolk where I've been since 2003 (Originally from Kent). Owned somewhere between 70 and 100 cars over the last 2 decades. The better ones of the bunch were mostly XR2's (Mk1 & 2) and Golf GTi's (Mk1 through to 3's).....also a couple of Anglia's ('58 and '62), Mk5 Cortina estate......1.9 205 GTi...oh and a '92 16V Clio < there's the Clio connection right there!

So why am I here?

I'm currently on the hunt for a decent Ph1 172, I've had my eye on the 27,000 miler on eBay, but can't bring myself to get it as I'd not want to drive it, and certainly wouldn't want to leave it on my drive with my 2 boys on their BMX's bombing around near it! So it has to be clean, but not minty mint....also original (Externally) and looked after. Not a fan of Ph2's, I know they are a little posher, but being relatively old and an 80's 90's Kid, I prefer the classic Ph1 look, and believe that in the near future they will be the ones to have.

So, you may see me around a bit, generally doing the usual asking questions without searching first :)

Oh.....Qualified Car mechanic (Apprenticeship at a Subaru dealer in the mid 90's, before every £@*ker had a "Scooby"!)....and Aircraft Electrician for the last 16yrs :)

Later!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Welcome along. Don't worry, there is quite a mature fraternity here still. I'm 31 for example :)

PM a mod (green names) or admin (orange names) if you need pointers on where to put something or any help.

What are the plans for the ph1? Daily, fun or track?

Passat, Mini Cooper
Cheers :)

Weekender ish...

Wife's got a Mini Cooper (2002) (BMW) and I have a Passat Tdi estate (2004), both are daily drives and far from perfect...they both work and mechanically they are spot on. But I want something to fiddle with and clean every weekend :)

I restore and build custom bikes (Old Road bikes and BMX's), so need the Passat for lugging all the crap around...no point getting a posh estate that will end up carrying the dog around and being stuffed full of mag wheels :) So i'd rather have the 2 cars for Function....and something on the side to play about with.

Original externally, and then up-rate the suspension, exhaust, a few minor engine tweaks and thats probably about it.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Plans sound good. You may need to wait for the right phase 1 for a bit, but it sounds like you aren't in a great rush. Plenty to read / project threads to look at on here to help shape some ideas in the mean time ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Welcome along Phil!

Hope you find what you're looking for! I know what you mean about that low miler! I wouldn't want to drive it either lol :eek:

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
If it makes u feel any better I'm 36 & drive round in a daft yellow ph1 & a clio with the engine in the wrong place lol

Passat, Mini Cooper
My wife's only 27...you know what the say aye... "You're only as old as the women you feel....blah...blah"

I'm not in a massive rush, but would like something this side of Christmas/New year or if not then by the spring. I see there is a couple of "Exclusives" on the bay at the moment, but can't decide if I like them or not? There's also a Black one with Ph2 wheels...not to far from me, its cheap £975? But something doesn't look right about it, looks to high?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
My wife's only 27...you know what the say aye... "You're only as old as the women you feel....blah...blah"

I'm not in a massive rush, but would like something this side of Christmas/New year or if not then by the spring. I see there is a couple of "Exclusives" on the bay at the moment, but can't decide if I like them or not? There's also a Black one with Ph2 wheels...not to far from me, its cheap £975? But something doesn't look right about it, looks to high?

I also seen that one, hundred odd thousand on it? I agree, something just doesn't look quite right with it!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Not saying there's anything wrong with it, bar the lights. But that's been for sale for a while

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
This one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121390157017?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Its only 60 odd miles from me, maybe worth a look, but i can't work out if its just how its parked, or it is actually sitting high?

It isn't helped that it is on Dynamique alloys, not 172 ones, but there is something definitely wrong with that ride height. The wheels at the front seem 'pushed back' a bit aswell. Blacked out rear lights aswell. I'd be voting with "avoid".

A decent one will crop up, just need to monitor here / autotrader etc quite regularly. Put a wanted thread up here aswell in the wanted section, and people may offer you something.

Passat, Mini Cooper
Yeah...the first time I looked at it I was quite off put by it's first impression....thats before I even done some research on them. It's been removed from my Watch list :)

172 Ph1
Looks Moody and the App I have doesn't list the Model of vehicle (moody) it's more than likely a rep with a 2.0ltr engine in it , or it's been shelled and the 2.0 ltr suspension not used. Lol.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411713344.862717.jpg

As where mine does show the model.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411713492.902298.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome to CS, plenty of knowledge and plenty of laughs, enjoy.

And Phase 1 all the way!

(If you're used to scoobies then you might want to search on here for 'Rooby Clio 172' ;) )

Swift Sport
Welcome, Phil!

I'm nearly 34 and still riding BMX bikes, and I'm also shopping for my 5th Clio too!

CS is a great forum, plenty of nice guys and nobs keeping the place interesting lol.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Welcome mate.. I've got a couple of you'd like to look then over. I'm based in Cheshire

Passat, Mini Cooper
Cheers all....

Its always good to have a few keyboard warriors about, it can get a bit boring otherwise. I was a Mod on a "Fiesta" forum for quite a few yrs, so had my fair share of them :)

Chi.... bit of a trek, but for the right car I may make the run. What ya got?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Welcome Phil, stick around and enjoy CS, the membership for 12 months is also more than worth it. By far the best source of Renault Sport Clios knowledge on the net.

Wait for the right ph1, i'd personally avoid the Exclusive but that may just be my opinion clouding judgement. I'd love a sunflower but maybe a bit loud for you! ;)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cheers all....

Its always good to have a few keyboard warriors about, it can get a bit boring otherwise. I was a Mod on a "Fiesta" forum for quite a few yrs, so had my fair share of them :)

Chi.... bit of a trek, but for the right car I may make the run. What ya got?

What one Phil, XRtwo.com?

I think the exclusive looks great on a set of fresh oz F1's, lowered and with a cup spoiler.

Passat, Mini Cooper
Yes XRtwo.com, been a member since around '99 (2003 on the latest forum) Was a mod for about 5yrs I think. After I sold my last Fiesta I stepped down and pop back there now and again to see whats going on :)

I think its the interior that I don't like on the Exclusive, looks to "old" man ish....is it grey or beige?

Passat, Mini Cooper
It's a small hot hatch thing.....

I think most Petrol heads that were born in the 70's/80's have had a similar line up of cars :)

A lot of the forums I go on I bump into other people that have also been on the same forums etc...

Passat, Mini Cooper
Yeah 40 is old.....I'll probably buy a Volvo or something when I'm that age....o and a nice Tartan Blanket :p

On a different note..... the 27k Ph1 on eBay is only 20 miles from me :S

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
welcome, we're all old here now anyway, for some reason we all still have clios like we did 10+ years back:)

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Welcome Phil! Get a club membership and have a browse in the cars for sale section - always nice examples popping up.

With it being quite a close knit community, you can normally trust what you're buying!

Welcome Phil. I'm sort of new and greater than 35yrs old. My wife calls my cup my mid life crisis car!! Just owning a car I couldn't afford in my early 20's! Been using this forum since April and its absoutely a must have for any mod/general info. Post some pics when you can. We all like to check out other projects.. cheers

Clio 172 (CUP)
Welcome Phil. I'm sort of new and greater than 35yrs old. My wife calls my cup my mid life crisis car!! Just owning a car I couldn't afford in my early 20's! Been using this forum since April and its absoutely a must have for any mod/general info. Post some pics when you can. We all like to check out other projects.. cheers
Kidda same story here, only just finishing off my first track focused car, somewhat after a career, house diy and kids have delayed it ;-). Still a petrolhead at heart whatever the age. This place and members have been a big help to me and sometimes a good laugh too when reading through the strange threads and arguments. Welcome aboard fella, good luck finding the car.