ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sunday 1st August - Whitby Run

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
These were the two we were discussing last night mike.....

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?clien...1346,-0.690717&spn=0.002274,0.009012&t=h&z=18

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?clien...43973,-0.664603&spn=0.00114,0.004506&t=h&z=19

The first one will a good place because for those without sat nav it's still pretty hard to miss, it's called the "hole of horcum"
the second would be a good place so we can all do the last section into Whitby together (lets the stragglers catch up really)

Goathland is inbetween these two so a trip through the village can still be done if people want too, you might want to find a place before here though too mike as these two are both on the north yorkshire moors themselves and it's still a long way to the hole of horcum from Colton in leeds :)

Cheers Ste, I know the first one well, it does get busy but definitley worth a look to see if there is room when we pass, i have seen car clubs there before. I'll check out the second one on thursday, thats a new one to me :)

We will have to go A64 to york to pick up laura so will be stopping then but hopefully i'll find a decent place for pics between then and here. I do know of a couple i have passed on the bike but just not 100% where they are so will have a look.

None
No problem Mike, i'm looking forward to this one already :).....been wanting to take the clio up there since buying it last year!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I am definitely going up to Whitby with a mate tomorrow now so last call for any requests of roads/locations.

Laura, where is best for you to be picked up from?

None
I am definitely going up to Whitby with a mate tomorrow now so last call for any requests of roads/locations.

Laura, where is best for you to be picked up from?

Me and Matt will be meeting Laura at billborough top services on the A64 this sunday to go to york raceway Mike so this might be the best place for parking if there are a quite a lot of us on the day..........i'm sure Laura will correct me if i'm wrong though :)

Oh and one other thing Mike.............a good car park near a chippy in Whitby :D

Nissan 370Z
1) Mike
2) Ste666
3) Matthew
4) Mike
5) Greg (shotgun camera with Mike)
6) Lee C
7) Tim Lockhart
8) Chris
9) Laura
10) Hutchy (meet at goathland)
11) katiecliogirl(brigg) (maybe)
12) leeds106
13) Medici999 (Josh..will hopefully have the JMS kit on then)

Fiesta ST-3
1) Mike
2) Ste666
3) Matthew
4) Mike
6) Lee C
7) Tim Lockhart
8) Laura
9) Hutchy (meet at goathland)
10) katiecliogirl(brigg) (maybe)
11) leeds106
12) Medici999 (Josh..will hopefully have the JMS kit on then)

Taken my name off due to a kustom clios mag feature. If it gets cancelled or anything then ill put my name back down.

None
Lol at the size of this meet now!.........there was me thinking it would be just four or five of us interested, i hope Whitby is ready for us :rasp:

Shame you won't be able to make it Chris :(

None
Oh yeah i forgot about the 172, last time i met Jim he still had the 197...........bolton Abbey last year i think :)

Nissan 370Z
Im looking forward to coming, hopefully will have my coilies, new alloys and jms on by then!
Can let everyone have a look at the JMS kit then!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Been up there today, and come to a few conclusions :)

The route is as planned on the first page but with us missing goathland, its pointless, we'll just get stuck behind old people and coaches and there is no proper place for us to stop.

Instead we can stop and meet other people here, as ste said earlier.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?clien...1346,-0.690717&spn=0.002274,0.009012&t=h&z=18

So basically it will be colton - billborough top services - the place above - whitby. The route in the OP is good, it had about 6 miles of crap in the middle but the roads after this are really worth it.

When we get there I (and bonxy) reccomend going to the abbey car park. We can take some good pics and as long as we stay by the cars and dont stay too long we shouldn't have to pay parking as its pay and display. A previous meet was held here, photo's below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bonx/sets/72157612975087838/

We now have a choice, we can either:

1) pay to park in the abbey car park and walk into town for some fish and chips or something, this is ok until the trek back, it is a f**king right hill.
I do not recommend this option as i am very lazy.

2) convoy through whitby centre to the 3 big carparks, chances are we wont all be able to park together but we should all get parked, cost for parking here would be £3 per car for 2 hours (rip off i know but all the car parks were the same price near the centre).
I recommend this option.

To come back I propose the standard route, its quick, involves some good roads to the A64 but these are often ruined by traffic. But by then everyone will just want to get home so wont care lol

How early are people willing to se off, the earlier the better roads wise, was going to propose 9am at colton?

None
it is a f**king right hill.

Pmsl..........i'm with you on that then Mike, defeats the object of eating fish n chips if you're just going to walk it straight off again :rasp:

Good work with the planning too, i'm up for everything you suggested :)

Mike for Area Rep again...

Thats what you call an SAS style reconnaissance mission! lol

Sounds good to me.

9 is also fine with me.

Them steps back upto the Abbey nearly killed me last year so Ime all about option 2 lol

182 & Porsche 986
i hope i can get time of work, i regulary do this run upto whitby. worried the hole of horcum maybe full though on a weekend.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
i hope i can get time of work, i regulary do this run upto whitby. worried the hole of horcum maybe full though on a weekend.
I was too, but it is bigger than you think, and if we set off at the planned time we should be there fairly early (hopefully).

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
will you be parking at the top at the abby?

ill ask the NE lot if they want to come if thats ok?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
will you be parking at the top at the abby?

ill ask the NE lot if they want to come if thats ok?

Yep, was going to put a thread up but i'll let you do it :)

Will confirm a time later, cba to work it out right now.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Updated Info:

Route is as below

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...8,-0.983276&sspn=1.037294,2.90863&ie=UTF8&z=9

screen-capture-10.png

We will be meeting at Colton at 9am, looking to set off at 9:15ish, stopping off at billborough top services at 9:40 and then onward towards whitby.

We will stop here for some piccys on the way :)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client...09012&t=h&z=18

At about 12:00 when we get there we can go to the abbey car park. We can take some good pics and as long as we stay by the cars and dont stay too long we shouldn't have to pay parking as its pay and display. Can meet the NE lot here too. A previous meet was held here, photo's below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bonx/se...7612975087838/

We now have a choice, we can either:

1) pay to park in the abbey car park and walk into town for some fish and chips or something, this is ok until the trek back, it is a f**king right hill.

2) convoy through whitby centre to the 3 big carparks, chances are we wont all be able to park together but we should all get parked, cost for parking here would be £3 per car for 2 hours (rip off i know but all the car parks were the same price near the centre).
I recommend this option.

We'll decide on this on the day i think, it really depends on weather and lazyness, i'll let people judge for themselves. We dont all have to do the same thing either, can meet up in whitby no matter what each one chooses.

To come back I propose the standard route, its quick, involves some good roads to the A64 but these are often ruined by traffic. But by then everyone will just want to get home so wont care lol

So, the list:

1) Mike
2) Ste666
3) Matthew
4) Mike
6) Lee C
7) Tim Lockhart
8) Laura (meet at billbrough top services)
9) katiecliogirl(brigg) (maybe)
10) leeds106
11) Medici999 (Josh..will hopefully have the JMS kit on then)

Hutchy, i've removed your name as I presume you will meet us at the abbey with stu :)

None
Please can everyone remember that the colton meet will be at the mcdonalds car park :)................sounds obvious i know but i have made the mistake before and waited in the wrong car park :eek:

this is the postcode.....LS15 9JH

AGH the sl*g
just a suggestion, but i was going to organise a run via scarborough to whitby, so we could maybe incorporate it into this with a run via olivers mount race track for a few cheeky photos on the grid, unless you prefer the run from pickering to whitby mike?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
just a suggestion, but i was going to organise a run via scarborough to whitby, so we could maybe incorporate it into this with a run via olivers mount race track for a few cheeky photos on the grid, unless you prefer the run from pickering to whitby mike?
I do like the pickering run :eek:

Discussed it with a few people at the last yorkshire meet and it seemed the road people wanted to do too!

Could always do that another time, if it was late august/september then i'd more than likely come up for it :)

AGH the sl*g
Thats fine i did that run last weekend and i must say it was rather enjoyable and i was only in the dirty derv 106 lol. Thats fine ill look into a route and book it in for the end of august, ill keep you informed :D

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
It would probably be better to meet in the Sainsburys side as it will be shut and people can get petrol if they need it.

Also, it looks a little less "Chavvy"!

Nissan 370Z
Im 100% Coming to this! Looking forward to it.
People will be able to see the JMS kit to then as its getting fitted on Sunday.