ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subframe mount lower suspension arm hole wear - check your Clio!

Clio 172 Cup
It's getting a major overhaul on Monday so I will check it out then.

How about adding some nice big washers to give the nut a greater surface to tighten upto? Ease the load on the worn metal?

Not welding them on tho.

I have just discovered the same thing on my 182, with around 70k.

Is the washer fix really the best fix?

Anyone know how mucha new sub frame would cost?

But I have a rumbling/knocking I can't get rid of.

I have changed ball joints, had a look at the top mounts, checked the ARB bushes and given everything a good going over. I'm a little stuck as to what else it could be.

Anything else I could look at Fred?

Black Gold Trophy
Bit of an update (for those still interested) I have a brand new genuine Renault subframe at my disposal, and I have found that the wishbone mounting holes at the rear of the subframe are indeed larger than the others.

Some pictures:

5284157246_c4ae71971c_z.jpg

5283555951_2de184b499_z.jpg

5284155160_4ca3eeab14_z.jpg

5284156116_b8ea12fd89_z.jpg

Bizarre eh? I can understand it may aid ease of assembly, but surely that benefit is over-ridden by the excessive play that will result from this design!

phase 1 flamer 172
I have never studied this area but assuming there is a one piece metal tube inside the bush that is a tight fit inside the mounting points when the bolt is tightened then any movement under normal driving would be difficult i would think, as the one tight fitting hole would suffice.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
sorry to revive an old thread, but if that hole is bigger by design, why not instead of welding on a washer, make a washer with a step in it that fills the hole?
that should positively locate the arm and solve the problem!