ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange idle.....

Clio 197 RB
I have owned my Clio now for a week and it hasn't missed a beat, but today on the way home from work something weird happened.

The car started as normal, I travelled for about 5-10 mins then I stopped at some traffic lights, the revs dipped down and the car began to struggle and wasn't holding the revs and felt like it was going to stall, then the revs shot up to 2000 rpm and they held then.

Also at the same time the temperature gauge went from the middle where it usually sits to the bottom and stayed there for the remainder of the journey.

No engine management lights have come on or any warning messages.

The car still drove and pulled well, but just not when stopping, just couldn't hold the revs properly.

Any ideas please.

Clio 197 RB
So I just made a short short journey to the gym and it started doing it again. At one point it struggled and stalled and took a while to start again.

The engine management light came on, so I plugged my OBD2 Into it and it read there was a fault but didn't tell me what the code was, which was helpful.

Im gonna have to do the things stated above and see if it improves!!

Clio 197 RB
Just drove to my dads Via GSF and it drove perfectly, although the engine management light popped up again.

I purchased a er a new temperature sensor and a new thermostat.

See we how I get on with those bits today!!

Clio 197 RB
Thermostat, coolant temperature sensor, air temperature sensor and the throttle body cleaned.

Its now running sweet. The temperature gauge is sat mid way like it should do, the revs are sitting at 900rpm at idle.

Cost about £30 to do the lot. Cheers for the help guys
imprezaworks and Earlesey

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Great stuff. Although you will never know which one was at fault lol. It's fixed though :)