ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stopped for 3/4 front plate

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Sorry to bump what is a slightly old topic now but I can tell you that what most of you is saying is absolutely correct - there is no legal height or width minimums or maximums, as long as letters and numbers are in the correct font and size and have the specified 11mm space between the edge of the number plate and the letters/numbers, and where there are two groups of numbers, i.e. most numberplates AB12 CDE, the gap between the two groups should be 33mm, as long as your number plate meets these requirements it is legal, yes you might get stopped for it and its a bit of hassle but they cannot do anything about it, unless you are missing BSAU number or postcode of maker etc.

Hope this helps - my source - a friend's dad who is pretty high up within the police and has many many years experience :)

I don't get this. The lettering on fancy plates 3/4 plates do not meet the legal requirements because they are too small. So it's a bit irrelevant because they are illegal anyway.

Or am I missing something?

And in my experience the higher up in the police someone becomes the less they tend to know about real police work.

Mk3 1.4 Dynamique
Good info dynamique06, would be nice to see something official saying the same to settle it once and for all.

I don't get this. The lettering on fancy plates 3/4 plates do not meet the legal requirements because they are too small. So it's a bit irrelevant because they are illegal anyway.

Or am I missing something?

And in my experience the higher up in the police someone becomes the less they tend to know about real police work.

Apologies for not being more specific, many of the 3/4 plates are illegal because the lettering is sized down, you are quite correct, however there are a few members on here talking of regular number plates which they have cut down to within the 11mm border, which makes the plate legal, but yes, if you are buying the plates as 3/4 plates the lettering is illegal.

Maybe I'm not reading it the way you meant for it to come across but are you suggesting that higher members of the police force do not do "real police work" lol? I assume you didnt mean for it to sound like that but either way, it is not true of all or most high up police people, any job you work your way up in all you do is become more experienced, I wouldn't expect any head chef to forget how to cook beans on toast... aha

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Maybe I'm not reading it the way you meant for it to come across but are you suggesting that higher members of the police force do not do "real police work" lol? I assume you didnt mean for it to sound like that but either way, it is not true of all or most high up police people, any job you work your way up in all you do is become more experienced, I wouldn't expect any head chef to forget how to cook beans on toast... aha

Forgive me for speaking from experience. Most senior police officers haven't set foot on the streets for years. So they don't generally have much of a clue about what's happening at street policing level so the chances of one of them knowing the first thing about number plate legislation are pretty slim.

As far as I can remember cooking beans doesn't generally change from one year to the next. Policing, laws and regulations are however forever changing and evolving. Ask your dads mate if he knows how to fill out a form 124D or complete a collision report book. Or what the protocols are for reporting a domestic assault.

A senior police officer ie high ranking officers will not have much to do with day to day policing and are more like politicians than police officers. Their days are generally taken up with meetings about figures and drinking tea.

Mk3 1.4 Dynamique
Good info dynamique06, would be nice to see something official saying the same to settle it once and for all.

Forgive me for speaking from experience. Most senior police officers haven't set foot on the streets for years. So they don't generally have much of a clue about what's happening at street policing level so the chances of one of them knowing the first thing about number plate legislation are pretty slim.

As far as I can remember cooking beans doesn't generally change from one year to the next. Policing, laws and regulations are however forever changing and evolving. Ask your dads mate if he knows how to fill out a form 124D or complete a collision report book. Or what the protocols are for reporting a domestic assault.

A senior police officer ie high ranking officers will not have much to do with day to day policing and are more like politicians than police officers. Their days are generally taken up with meetings about figures and drinking tea.

Fair points, especially on my beans ;) it was a bad example lol, anyway Im not looking for an arguement, but it depends on how high up in the police we're really talking about, whilst my mates dad isn't on the beat he certainly isn't sitting around in meetings all day.

Either way I hold his opions/knowledge in anything police related very highly.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Fair points, especially on my beans ;) it was a bad example lol, anyway Im not looking for an arguement, but it depends on how high up in the police we're really talking about, whilst my mates dad isn't on the beat he certainly isn't sitting around in meetings all day.

Either way I hold his opions/knowledge in anything police related very highly.

To be honest mate what he told you is pretty easy to find. It's not secret information only available to police

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/media/pdf/leaflets/V796.ashx