ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stopped for 3/4 front plate

E46 M3, Clio 182
Last night i pulled up outside my house followed shortly after by police, i pasted him and he turned around after me.. £60 fine!

i've had it on for 6 months no problems (and been stopped before by traffic police who didnt say anything) but last night was my unlucky night.

Now in debate to take it off?

Audi A5
What width have you got yours? I think 84mm is way too obvious, I'm using 91mm iirc and it fills the recess perfect.

Audi A5
Yeah if you measure the bumper it's much wider than 84mm so I don't know why people get them that small.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
I've never really had a problem with tiny plates, got told once to change them which I did but they didn't stay full sized for long

PH2 Flamer
Never been stopped.

Think i may get stopped soon as its very plain and obvious now its on a small private reg
2y2y3e2y.jpg

If i do ill change it. Its a Risk im willing to take.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Im so undecided about getting a 3/4 front plate. They look really good but I don't really want to run the risk of the £60 fine as I can't do with wasting £60!

If I was you I would take it off because no doubt that police car will be looking out for you.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Not much you can do really, you know its illegal.

I have a 91mm full recess one on mine, soon as I get pulled or fined for it then its coming off for good. Until then it can stay.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Illegal or not, the copper must be having a really slow day to go out of his way to pull you over and fine you for it.

Had mine on my Trophy for 2 years/30k and in that time drove all around the UK, never had any issues. Just the luck of the draw, I guess.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Illegal or not, the copper must be having a really slow day to go out of his way to pull you over and fine you for it.

Had mine on my Trophy for 2 years/30k and in that time drove all around the UK, never had any issues. Just the luck of the draw, I guess.
Logic?

As a police officer you work to make sure things are legal. If he sees something illegal like a wrong size plate then he will stop that person. It's not because he's having a slow day, it's his job.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I just personally think that there are better things that traffic coppers could be doing, rather than pulling people over for number plates that are still completely legible, but a cm smaller.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I just personally think that there are better things that traffic coppers could be doing, rather than pulling people over for number plates that are still completely legible, but a cm smaller.
They're not readable by ANPR IIRC. In theory an uninsured driver would not be picked up if they had an illegal plate like this.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I got stopped for mine ages ago, ive just put my standard plate on top of the small one incase i ever want some nice pictures or go to trackdays etc. Looks the part.

But i wont be using it on the road, a 60 fine for a few mm of numberplate is just stupid

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
They're not readable by ANPR IIRC. In theory an uninsured driver would not be picked up if they had an illegal plate like this.

Really? I stand corrected if so but as far as I was aware, ANPR reads the letters and characters. So as long as they're of the correct size and typeface (which the ones on the smaller plates are) it should be perfectly readable by the software they use.

RenaultSport 182FF
Logic?

As a police officer you work to make sure things are legal. If he sees something illegal like a wrong size plate then he will stop that person. It's not because he's having a slow day, it's his job.

What is your job description? ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I'd love to live in an area so totally free of crimes such as burglaries or muggings or theft that the ONLY thing that copper could find useful to do with half an hour of his time was to worry about such a minor traffic violation.

That said, I still cant see the point in lining yourself up as an easy target for bored coppers just to have a slightly smaller numberplate, they look fine at standard height anyway IMHO.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What's that got to do with anything?

Because he is probably interested to see if you are a copper, as he has probably made the assumption that only someone who has been through the police brain washing scheme could possibly feel this was a good way to spend tax payers money?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I would be amazed if that is true of modern ANPR cameras TBH, but even if it is look at all the foreign cars they also cant pick up either way, they shouldnt rely so heavily on technology thats so flawed IMHO

RB 182 FF
The ANPR camera's dont miss a trick unfortunately........lol. Ive got a 3/4 plate and my friend is a police offficer and he showed me the technology, no hiding from it Im afraid! :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
if they don't fill the recess properly, as most 3/4 plates, they look sh!t. He probably pulled you more on that than it being too small. Fashion police for the win!!!

They can be trimmed down to be legally sized as it all depends on the lettering size and a minimum of an 11mm border IIRC. This is smaller than the OE plates and fits the recess, but doesn't look pverly small as do most 3/4 plates, and if you get pulled you can educate him on the legal requirement and be on your way

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
if they don't fill the recess properly, as most 3/4 plates, they look sh!t. He probably pulled you more on that than it being too small. Fashion police for the win!!!

They can be trimmed down to be legally sized as it all depends on the lettering size and a minimum of an 11mm border IIRC. This is smaller than the OE plates and fits the recess, but doesn't look pverly small as do most 3/4 plates, and if you get pulled you can educate him on the legal requirement and be on your way

Since 2003 the law states that a front number plate (except for special cases such as small volume imports etc) must be 112mm high, I have no idea what rules you are going on about, but they arent the current law AFAIK.

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
Since 2003 the law states that a front number plate (except for special cases such as small volume imports etc) must be 112mm high, I have no idea what rules you are going on about, but they arent the current law AFAIK.

For vehicles with new or replacement number plates fitted from 1 September 2001, "3-line" number plates are no longer permitted (except where the vehicle was first registered before 1 January 1973). In addition, the characters on number plates purchased from 1 September 2001, will need to meet the following specifications.
n
Character height 79mm
n
Character width (except the figure 1 or letter I) 50mm
n
Character stroke 14mm
n
Space between characters 11mm
n
Space between groups 33mm
n
Top, bottom and side margins (minimum) 11mm