ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

still having slow acceleration issues

clio 172
still suffering,
been into renault and had it plugged in, the management light keep comin on, they blamed the after market exhaust
on the car is a powerflow exhaust from the cat back, and a 3 letter named airfilter that cost about 250 quid, so this car should be about 175 brake,
would an o2 senser cause it to be slow, and i mean 0-60 in about 10-11 seconds, its really flat doesnt wanna go above 80 and no matter how long i drive it for it never revs too 7200 only 6800
is there any other way to check the plugs with out taking the inlet off?
im thinking of gettin it rolling roaded when i get the new wheels just to see?
and who are we all using for insurance as im 38 with full no claims cheapest quote was 700 quid! my teg was only 500 quid!! and this is worth the same as the alloys on the honda!
cheers all

inferno 182cup
do u find the light to flash on for little bit when u up high rev an go when u let off,,,,, try plugs first yes u do have to take the top of inlet man off.
has it got a bmc cda on it if so make sure the caf isnt connected.
front o2 sensor can but u will need to test if its switching corectly first and if its reading funny it could b seeing corect if engine is running wrong .
u could also do with diagnostics check.

clio 172
do u find the light to flash on for little bit when u up high rev an go when u let off,,,,, try plugs first yes u do have to take the top of inlet man off.
has it got a bmc cda on it if so make sure the caf isnt connected.
front o2 sensor can but u will need to test if its switching corectly first and if its reading funny it could b seeing corect if engine is running wrong .
u could also do with diagnostics check.

there is no flashing of lights in high revs actually got it to get 7200 tonight, had to let it warm up for ever, whats bmc cda? and whats caf? ive done a diagnostic check and its coming bak with the 02 sensor to which renault blamed the powerflow exhaust, ive done some timed runs tonight 0-60 best was 9.5 but were avr around the 10.5 its terrible! if it helps i took a vid of the speedo, and the revs, but there something is def amiss with this car, 2 secs is massive and i know how to drive, i tried all sorts of permutations of setting off, i know vans that do 0-60 in 9 secs!

acceleration this was slightly more difficult to do, so isnt that accurate timing,
th_MOV00709.gif

the revs
th_MOV00710.gif

need to find the problem with this car its doing my head in!!

Mk5 golf gti
powerflow wont effect o2 sensor at all

so change the pre cat lambda and that one only

as thats what is showing on the diagnostics

correct plugs and good service will help too

clio 172
no, im used to v-tec where you get a kick, is it the same with these engines? its just flat although
the rev range

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
My money is on the coolent temp sensor, the car does not know what temp it's up to and is keeping you running on the "safe" cold start map, would explain why it feels flat and will only rev to 6800 ish.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't expect any increase in power with those mods tbh.

You'd be very lucky if it made 172bhp really.

Also try Adrian Flux, I'm 34 and they were by far cheapest.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
that genuinely is the same pace as my old 1.2 16v was!!, my first thing to check if it was mine would be cam timing, i guarantee its out!! not much else out there would cause quite that lack of performance.

Megane 225 F1
Off the top of my head, I do not know. All I know (correct me if I'm wrong tech-geeks) is that due to EU regulations, the engine was slightly restricted until 5k. Hence the 5K Kick.

Remaps will smooth the revs out and "un-restrict" the engine.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I thought it was 1800 it activated but I must have got confused and thought something else happened at 5k.
If they are saying lambda, can you not swap them round or beg/borrow one to swap it out and test it?

One more little thing could be a long shot but is the cat good? I had similar symptoms on a metro gti years ago, cat had degraded inside and blocked itself up and the car was much slower to rev and sluggish until I sorted it out.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
it may well be 1800rpm i cant remember but what ever rpm it is its not 5k lol its an on off system on the 172/182, the 197/200 has a progressive setup

clio 172
ive just ordered the 02 senser, and i keep saying about the cam timing to my mechanic but he says no, why cant they just check the dam thing is it a mission??? coolent senser doesnt seam right as once the car had warmed up and revved to 72 its still sluggish on the vid it goes to 7200, gettin really fed up with it, on the verge of sellin the damn thing, and ive just took delivery of new alloys! cant believe renault said it was fine! haha muppets, cheers for all your help guys, keep plugging away with ideas, oh and it passed the mot on emmisions so dunno how it would be the cat?

ITB'd MK1
ive just ordered the 02 senser, and i keep saying about the cam timing to my mechanic but he says no, why cant they just check the dam thing is it a mission??? coolent senser doesnt seam right as once the car had warmed up and revved to 72 its still sluggish on the vid it goes to 7200, gettin really fed up with it, on the verge of sellin the damn thing, and ive just took delivery of new alloys! cant believe renault said it was fine! haha muppets, cheers for all your help guys, keep plugging away with ideas, oh and it passed the mot on emmisions so dunno how it would be the cat?

stop using main dealers TBH. there's plenty of evidence of their general lack of knowledge of renaultsports

cos there gonna take you for as much money as possible first and then check the timing as a last resort

clio 172
naw its a mate who checks my timing, but keeps sayin its fine, and i got the o2 senser from fleabay, renauly havnt impressed me at all