ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel wobble after hard acceleration

Clio Sport xxx
Morning all,

I'm experiencing a strange problem with my 172. Last night I put my foot down for a few seconds through 2nd and 3rd gears, shortly after I noticed that the steering wheel was wobbling and pulling to the left slightly :S It almost feels at though there is a bulge in the tread of one of the front tyres, but i've checked them and they seem fine...

What's strange about it is that it's not constantly doing it. It only seems to occur at certain revs/engine load, which to me suggests that something mechanical has gone awry; so far it is noticable between 2-3K revs with light engine load. I can be cruising at 70 and all seems fine. The problem is also silent in that I can't hear any abnormal mechanical noises.

Anyone got any ideas before I go and take it to get checked out??

Thanks

Cooksport Fleet
Check the wheels are tight, just to be safe....(its unlikely this though)

Most likely a driveshaft issue imo.

Clio Sport xxx
Thanks Cook,

Yeh I am also resigned to the fact it is most likely a driveshaft. The hard acceleration to cause it the first hint, and the fact it's done 110K miles! Having it looked at this afternoon so will update after that.

Clio Sport xxx
Well I have had it looked at by the local garage and all that they could find wrong with it was the N/S outer CV joint was bone dry and the gaitor was loose. They have packed it with grease and secured the gaitor.

Does this sound like something which would cause the problems in my original post?

They did also mention that it is fairly difficult to determine a faulty driveshaft unless it is majorly f***ked, so could the problem still lie with a faulty driveshaft?

Thanks