ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering rack worries ????????

Monaco 172
Hi, can anyone tell me the signs which might tell me that my steering rack is on the way out or how can i check if it ok ??? as my steering has a bit of play sometimes when going for left to right.
Also if it is the steering rack is the car still safe to drive for a while ???
and how much is a new one ??
Cheers;)

260% JCW
I think mine might be worn. With the car switched off and keys in, if you turn the wheel from left to right there's a slight knocking noise and some play.

Dont think its an easy job, the subframe has to be dropped down to replace.

don't have to drop the subframe to do it on a Cup, but the RS workshop manual does tell you to; not sure if it's more complicated with the non-Cups. someone posted a horror-story about their column U/J a little while ago and it's worth checking for play in those (and the track rod ends/track rods) before assuming it's the rack itself.

when you say 'sometimes', what are the symptoms? if it's a mechanical problem, you'd expect it to be there all of the time - possibly a PAS related issue?

Monaco 172
Hi henry it is basically all the time, when i say play i mean like a slack type feeling, when i driving in a straight line it feels as the the car drifts over the road ever so slighty then u have to correct it by moving the wheel slighty it and sometimes if you move the wheel slighty the direction of the wheels doesnt realy change ???? iv had new tyres and the tracking done so im not sure what else it could be:(????????

are you able to work on the car yourself? personally, would start by checking the 'external' joints for any play (2 x U/J in column, track rod ends; track rods), then start worrying about the rack itself (or the PAS system).

if you're not able to yourself, think your best bet is in taking it somewhere trusted for investigation

someone may, of course, be able to add other suggestions
afterthought - rack mounting bushes as well

Last edited:
Very very unlikely to be a steering rack problem, they just dont wear. It is much more likely to be the column, the rack mounts or the track rods.

I will bet you 20 quid there is nothing wrong with your rack.

BG182®
Ive got a problem like this also. Seems to pull to the left or right when going in a strait line. Also had a blast in the country lanes on my way home this morning and it became more sudden that its something thats needs posting asap.

P

pete.grant

If it toque steers and pulls on the camber in the road its very likely the column or the track rod inner knuckle joint.

I'm having this problem - If im driving on a road that cambers to the right I have to pull the steering wheel to the left! It's getting really annoying. Had the traking done etc.

E

escotty90

Iv got this problem with my 182 and its well annoying.
Had tracking done last weekend and it still wants to pull over to the left slightly.
I also remember that randomly in the winter when the weather was minus sumut the car use to sumtimes knock when turning the wheel, dosnt do it wen the car is warm tho and hasnt done it since the weathers bin warmer... RANDOM :S

Any ideas?

200 cup & 106 GTi
Sorry to bump this thread but it's not that old.

Slight knock from rack when turning the wheel slightly from left to right when stationary(not lock to lock, just a tiny bit) can feel it through the floor, not so much the steering but a little.

I have the same problem as described in some posts above, car changes direction and can go either way when holding the steering wheel straight ahead. Have to hold the wheel quite far to the side on cambered roads, it's very hard to control on a cambered surface snaking all over the place. When coming to a stop the wheel can pull itself very hard(i'm used to a 205 and 106 without power steering!!!!) to either side depending on camber of road!

Had tracking done 4 times in the past few months, keeps knocking itself out. Can't find any play in the system so far, the track rod ends aren't tight but by the same token there's not really play in them but i'm going to replace them. Can't find play in pass side inner track rod joint, will check o/s tomorrow. No visible movement in rack bushes but will probably replace them asap to rule it out.
Car had brand new renault wishbones 5 months ago, they still seem nice and tight and no play in balljoints, no knocking over 99% of bumps.

How can i get to the joints in the column?

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=413946&highlight=rack+bushes

This thread highlights people with same problem, no solution found.

Last edited:
  Arctic blue 182 (05)
I've still got this issue with my car. Haven't had a moment to check anything but it definately sounds like it's turning into a common problem.
Will be interested to hear if you find what's causing this.

200 cup & 106 GTi
Damn :(

Dunno how i'm going to get to work and back, my 205 is miles from being ready to MOT and my 106 is mid cage fitting and has no brakes at all and one of the wishbones is bent so that doesn't help. But my 106 drove better with a properly bent wishbone than my clio does now so that's saying something!

I posted in the quoted thread and I'm still not happy with my car now really. It has been checked out a couple of times now with nothing found. I'm still finding that a slight left/right movement of the steering wheel gives a very slight clunky sensation back. It hasn't got any more pronounced tho and when observing the wheels they do move with the wheel and no play is evident even tho it feels slightly odd. The handling definitely doesn't inspire much confidence at the moment and certainly doesn't feel as good as it did a few months back. I'm a bit stumped!!

200 cup & 106 GTi
Thanks for posting! I'm guessing we all have the same problem.

I'm just about to order a pair of track rod ends.

Does anyone know if the 2nd half of the column is available on it's own? Not really looking forward to dealer prices for the whole column :eek:

M

mini-valver

Bodge it by welding a new UJ in. Pikey as fcuk but it'll be reet!

Vw caddy tdi
The knocking at -'c if on park on mine was play in the inner rack end, their is a little plastic collar/bush on the tread on 1 side between rack end and tread onto rack.

200 cup & 106 GTi
Bodge it by welding a new UJ in. Pikey as fcuk but it'll be reet!

You found somewhere to stay then? :rasp: I haven't even had a chance to look at it. Felt well dodgy on the country roads back though, Glad i've got a C2VTS for the week!

Interesting to hear about the rack ends, i am yet to test the drivers side one.

200 cup & 106 GTi
lol what a trek! Should have stayed at the travel lodge on the A22! Was like 10 mins away!

No progress from me, i'm driving a C2VTS with 7k on the clock, got it for 3 weeks so will leave the clio to feel sorry for itself! Had enough so prob take it to rentech and get Mike to sort it out, then at least it'll be done with and i can sell the damn thing!

M

mini-valver

Full! Rang about 10 hotels FFS!

Fair enough man, still think you should keep it when its fixed though ;)

200 cup & 106 GTi
Well there was definitely play in my column lower UJs, and nothing else!

New column = £150+vat trade...