ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Column Price

As seems a common problem on a few clios, the steering on my 93 16v is REALLY vague (i can point the steering wheel left and the car will still go in a straight line!) and im inclined to think it might be the column linkage rather than the rack but....

how much is one of these usually (supply and fit) when compare to a rach at 229??

Many thanks for any help!!

i payed £128 for the steering column, and it cost me £90 to get it fitted and also a new suspension pan.But that was @ £36 an hour labour :(

before you start replacing major steering components, check to see that it is not the inner track arm joint. These are hidden inside the gaitors attached to rack. They wear, possibly even worse than the more normal outer track rod ends.

Check them by firmly grasping track rod arm (with car weight on it) and tugging it back and forth (looking for movement at rack side), also try it with car jacked up. My steering was vague for ages, but after changing them, car steering felt as tight as new. However reno being reno means you can only get them as part of whole track control arm, which are about £50 odd each plus vat. But really do make a difference, think 16v racks and columns are reasonably long lasting, although pump seems to be a weaker link, although generally they only get noisier, at what mileage is it on?

Car has done 127k now (and not with decent caring owners - story about that like!). I had the track rods done a few weeks ago which helped but now the balljoints are cracking like hell and i have some sort of belt slipping (power steering pump maybe - squealing only happens when the wheel is turned).

Basically it needs to be done sharpish cos its scaring me and Im pretty sure its the column - i think the joint is beside behind the pedals and seems to rattle when moving the wheel back and forth but any help is always welcome!

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

I am probably getting mine replaced next week. I think BB said it was about £130 for the column and about an hours fitting.