ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

STEERING IS VERY TWITCHY

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Had a quick search but no great answers.

Bought the car august last year. Steering was fine.

Drove a 1800mile trip around christmas and ever since the steering hasnt been the same. I must point out its on dreaded apexs which the previous owner fitted. (Sportlines ASAP :approve: ).

Anyways. Now the steering feels twitchy. its hard to explain. when going over bumps or cracks it wants to go in a different direction. Its not a huge problem its just seems like im having to constantly correct the steering.

The tracking is slighty out too. when straight - pulls to the right however I don't think that is the likely cause of it being so twitchy.

Im thinking rack?

Any other suggestions or past experience?

thanks

Any play at the steering wheel when stationary?

Have you jacked it up to wobble the sides/top and bottom of the wheels to see if it's bearings going? (Would this method pick up ball joint play? I'm not sure lol)

Could be play in your track/tie rods at the rack end of the rods in a worst case.

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
yes little play in the wheel when stationary. slight click too. (very quiet tho)

Could be play in the steering column joints?

On the Mk1s you can pull back the rubber at the base, where it goes into the dash/firewall, and check the joint there to see if there's play in it.

I've not heard of it as a common problem on Mk2s though.

top mounts could be another fault? had mine in at renault for the standard bonnet catch test and they flagged up that that was the reason for my steering twitch and vague feel. mine pulls in random direction when going over bumps, but doesnt filter through to the steering wheel. also feels like the wheels hit a bump and something else bumps the steering wheel too . . . sound like your problem?

jamie

Mondeo TDCI 130
Firstly, get under the back and look at the rear shockers, they will be noticably covered in oil!!

Secondly, check for steering play, my cup had play in the inner rack ends, and it was horrid to drive, scared the s**t out of me!! Was all over the place, had a new rack and was like a new car!!!!

If these are not probs and there is no play anywhere, get the alignment checked.

My suggested Things to check:

Steering Column
Steering Rack
Tie/Track rods
Ball joints
wheel bearings
Tracking

And adding what others have said:

rear shocks
top mounts

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Probally best to jack the car up and wobble the wheels from top and bottom and see if there is any play in them.

Check the rear shocks are not covered in oil.

Get tracking done.

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Ok update on this....

1. Checked play in wheels. - None, shocks and springs all look fine too. However when i spin either the front left or right wheel a clicking noise can be hear for a few seconds and then stops as the spinning carrys on. (this noise is coming from under the engine not from the wheels).
2. Rear shocks are fine.
3. will get tracking done asap.

still confused but thanks every1 :)

Clio 197 R27 Albi
anyone found the problem to this. Mines a bit twichy as well. Having the tracking done tomorrow so will see if that sorts it out.

tiTTy & SV650
mine does this a bit it kinda slips a little when cornering reasonably quickly and it torque steers more than my 182 ever did too so I figure somethings loose / worn.

I do know my back right shock is burst too so that explains the wondering back end but I always did enjoy that lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my 172 was all over the road. play in steering etc so i decided to rebuild the bloddy front end. changed....
track rod ends
bottom arms
dampers
and tyres

didnt get any better then found out you could replace the inner track rods and it was sorted!! i thought u had to replace the full rack!

Track 172 & Golf R32
my car does exactly this.. i checked wheel bearings today and my drivers side rear bearing has gone..

however i still think theres more to the problem ive noticed my steering creaks when stationary going lock to lock aswell its a weird feeling while driving not a very convincing one either imo

W

Willy

Got exactly the same problem. Its gotten pretty bad and sometimes it scares the s**t out of me. Dont know what im looking at to be honest, would need a mechanic to help me sort it out, but probs cost me hundreds and hundreds to try find a problem like this, could be a number of pricey things :(

172 rep
i've got a similar problem to this, mine clicks very loudly when parking, on full lock (either side), and also pulls slightly to the left, have to keep correcting it all the time.

Not tracking, recently been done, shocks etc should be fine to as their all brand new.

W

Willy

jujuju, i have the same knock, had it for a good 8 months or so lol :| sounds exactly the same

Clio 197 R27 Albi
well sorted my problem today. Went and had the tracking done and its fine now. drives like a dream. They did say the tracking was out miles though.

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
haven't got to the bottom of it but I can seriously rule stuff out.

Problem is not from rear end all struts and wheels/hub assemblys are fine.

Suspension will be completely changed soon also.

Problem must be front end

"Navy" N17 TWO
When you jack the car up & turn the n/s wheel
- forwards it's fine, backwards you can hear a loud click. What is that? :S

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
Lots of toe in will make the steering ultra twitchy. It will follow cambers and feel really unstable under braking. It will feel nice turning in on smooth tarmac though.

Lots of toe in will make the steering ultra twitchy. It will follow cambers and feel really unstable under braking. It will feel nice turning in on smooth tarmac though.
agree.
pulling to the left or right though is nothing to do with tracking like some have mentioned if the car pulls left or right it's either camber of the road or something is bent or worn - eg wishbone. sounds to me like you have too much toe in or toe out as previously mentioned.
most cars should steer left on most uk roads as the camber runs this way for drainage

Clio 182FF
I had this problem and I've had my tracking done today and it appears to have cured it for me. Feels much more stable.