ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting woes - any ideas?

Iceberg 172
2003 172

Just recently my 172 has occasionally needed a second turn of the key to start, after turning over but not catching the first time. It has always started immediately on the first turn and still does 90% of the time.

This morning it started immediately and I drove half a mile to drop my daughter off. A minute later, it turned but wouldn't catch for five attempts. Finally on the sixth try it fired to life immediately,

Anybody had similar symptoms and know what's about to fail and leave me stranded??!! :S

[I know this has been covered before but it's a difficult nondescript thing to search on!]

Iceberg 172
OK, so further research suggests it could be a TDC sensor issue, failing battery or key/immobiliser problem.....

Do any of these things just occur intermittantly?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
My brother had this on his 172, intermittent starting etc. New battery sorted it.

Iceberg 172
OK so I've had the airbox out and the TDC sensor out - does this look dirty? It's the original one (black connections)

Also battery seems to be OK: 12.6V at rest, even though it is also the original from 2003!

Attachments

• TDCSensor.jpg
    TDCSensor.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 48
  Iceberg 172
Anyone? This look dirty?

Not had the starting problem since I had this out on Friday so I may have sorted it?! :cool:

Megane dci 130
Get the modified crank sensor and loom on there, You wont see anything wrong with the cranksensor its self.