ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stance

Status
Not open for further replies.
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd love to see that.

Photoshop some onto a mk2 clio then, lol.

614187574_0b14c26bca.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip, has anyone ever proven you wrong in an arguement?

When its a matter of opinion like styling there isnt a right and wrong answer, just opinions, so in that context no.

In terms of technical stuff where there IS a right and wrong answer, yes of course it has happened as everyone makes mistakes no matter how careful you try to be, although in my case it happens very very rarely as unlike most of CS if I dont know with a high degree of certainty that what I am saying is correct on techy threads I simply post nothing at all instead. Ie I actually bother to put effort into being a reliable source of info unlike most. Which is what any good journalist should do and I tend to treat forums like Im writing an article to a certain extent (all be it I obviously cant afford to spare as much time when not getting paid!)

1.2 16v
Those wheels just look too small for the body IMHO and it looks too "slammed yo" as well.

It literally looks like you picked some wheels you liked, irrelevant of how well (or not) their size and style and tyre profile suited to the car they were going on, then just kept lowering the car to try and stop them looking quite so small.

Its a good example of when trying to follow a particular fashion trend that doesnt even suit the car in question just makes a car look wrong I would say. Its a look that on a mk2 golf kind of works as it pulls it off without looking "try hard", but on a mk3 clio clearly doesnt.

I disagree, IMO, 17s look too big for a mk3 so I opted for 16s with a reasonable sized tyre to fill the arch a bit more.

Although the camera trickery makes it look low, it's only about 70 on rear and 60mm on front.

I chose the wheels because I liked them, thought they were a good size/fitment, and suit the mean look I wanted to achieve.

This is a car forum not an english exam, so long as people reply with reasonable enough english that its possible to understand what they mean, I dont see what the problem is, clearly you COULD read what he meant or you wouldnt have been able to correct it, so just bore off to an english exam forum instead if that is what you want to go on about.

Just because someone has slightly worse written english skills than someone else doesnt make their opinion any less valid and it certainly doesnt mean they should be continually corrected on it, if they want written english advice I am sure they will look for it somewhere other than CS.

If it was full of text speak you might have a point, but he simply made a few grammatical errors, so what? Maybe he didnt do very well in english in school what the hell business of yours is that though?

It was more the fact that he bunches his entire reply into a single block of text which I couldn't read without sitting and breaking it into blocks.

Also - are you working on one of those apostrophe-less keyboards today? ;)

*don't
*wouldn't
*doesn't
*doesn't
*didn't

PS. I got an F in english vocab and written exams.

It was more the fact that he bunches his entire reply into a single block of text which I couldn't read without sitting and breaking it into blocks.

*don't
*wouldn't
*doesn't
*doesn't
*didn't

It's a forum, not an English lesson!

RB 182 195bhp

*don't
*wouldn't
*doesn't
*doesn't
*didn't

Grow up. You've basically admitted you were wrong, so now your having a gramma war? I'm writing it on a iPhone, so it's a pain.
English isn't my strong point, I only got a C, but I got an A in maths, statistics, and 2 A's in science. So I've gone on to study engineering and make the most of my skill set.
You know nothing about me or my life so don't make judgemental comments about it. Your not even talking about the cars now, so what's the point. Grow up and wind your neck in.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
are you working on one of those apostrophe-less keyboards today?

Nope, I just dont care about perfect english when its on a car forum not an english exam, and only a total f*cking moron would IMHO ;)

Just shut up about it, no one gives a toss so long as its readable, if you want to obsess over grammar etc then go to a place there that is on topic rather than continually spamming this thread about it and making yourself look a dick.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Haha classic CS thread.

A lot if us on here have been there and done it. Not again for me. Tbh if you have to ask what to do, its never going to look nice and (fairly) original.

Nope, I just dont care about perfect english when its on a car forum not an english exam, and only a total f*cking moron would IMHO ;)

Just shut up about it, no one gives a toss so long as its readable, if you want to obsess over grammar etc then go to a place there that is on topic rather than continually spamming this thread about it and making yourself look a dick.

Bwahahahaha Chip lecturing people on staying on-topic. Most ironic thing ever posted on the internet.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Bwahahahaha Chip lecturing people on staying on-topic. Most ironic thing ever posted on the internet.

Well I certainly don't wander as off topic as giving out unwanted English lessons to people who's posts are acceptable anyway tbh phil.
​Off topics are fine so long as they are at least interesting. English lessons on a car forum aren't.

Evo 5 RS
There are certainly plenty of people on here who build a car "because racecar is cool" etc and then rush into things they think look good in pictures like cages or plastic windows or cheap but shiney coilovers or 4 pots while neglecting stuff like track rod ends or decent tyres etc or a diff to make it handle properly, but there are also a lot of us who just build cars to use them and with mods because that actually improve the cars performance or driving experience and no other reason than that.

Pretty hypercritical coming from someone who's put 300bhp through one with minimal supporting mods don't you think?

I'd suggest you stop preaching all the time when you're guilty of just as much nonsensical mods.

RB 182 195bhp
SorryIlljusttrytoignorepeoplethatcan'tevenbebotheredtospacetheresentencesout. Itsdefinitelynotthepostersresponsibilitytomaketheircommentseasytoread.

Grow up, you said I didn't use paragraphs and a couple of apostrophe's, something which doesn't inhibit your ability to read my dialogue at all really. I didn't bother as its only a car forum as everyone has been trying to tell you...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Pretty hypercritical coming from someone who's put 300bhp through one with minimal supporting mods don't you think?

I'd suggest you stop preaching all the time when you're guilty of just as much nonsensical mods.

Did you just go there?? Nigga please. Chip is writing a stern response as we speak. You're going down, down TOWN!

Evo 5 RS
It's true though. Not saying there is anything wrong with going balls deep with any engine / performance route. After all it's your car and you can always come back to other parts later, guilty. But to say people upgrade things such as the brakes - and it not be beneficial is stupid. People do things to their cars that compromise road use every single day. Literally none of it makes sense as long as the car has an MOT and tax, but we do it anyway.

If every 1*2 was standard one the road besides decent tread and a differential, there wouldn't be much call for an owners club TBH. Just don't see why you'd preach to people about doing nonsensical things to a car when that's pretty much his passion.

Tell you what, just sell up and go and do what his mate Mike is doing. It'll be faster than a Clio will ever be around a circuit. Why bother trying to make a small hatch better when you can do it right in the first place.

In fact just give up. What's the point, there's always something better. Stop doing it wrong...etc lol.

No no no!!! Slamming your car and adding some camber makes it worse on the road. Throwing 300bhp through it doesn't ;)

Improving a clio's looks is pointless because they're not pretty to start with, but trying to make one quick even though they're slow to start with makes sense. Chip gospel - it cannot be argued with.

197ff, 172
SorryIlljusttrytoignorepeoplethatcan'tevenbebotheredtospacetheresentencesout. Itsdefinitelynotthepostersresponsibilitytomaketheircommentseasytoread.

I like this, makes reading way faster skipping the spaces. You used a full stop though which disappointed me a little.

Stanced cars are fine if you like that kind of thing. My golf sits as if gravity it trying to pull it through the ground, the wheels poke out the arches and the tyres tuck.

Track and modified cars are fine too. But whatever you do to your car the effectiveness of the end result will depend on the parts used and experience of the mechanic/fitter/tuner. As with most things the better bits/people are more expensive.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

What do you mean by minimal supporting mods out of interest? What mods do you think should have been done that werent? I'd be interested to hear what you think is "missing" out of my spec?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
In fact I think you missed my point entirely TBH I said it was pointless doing a lot of mods to a car without getting basic maintainance items correct first like track rod ends etc.

Clios are quite a good platform to modify for peroformance, but not without getting the basics right first.

There are certainly plenty of people on here who build a car "because racecar is cool" etc and then rush into things they think look good in pictures like cages or plastic windows or cheap but shiney coilovers or 4 pots while neglecting stuff like track rod ends or decent tyres etc or a diff to make it handle properly, but there are also a lot of us who just build cars to use them and with mods because that actually improve the cars performance or driving experience and no other reason than that.

Maybe read it again and you will do so in the light it was intended rather than how you misread it last time?

Yes Mike's car will be faster round a circuit, but some people want to be able to use their car to drive to the circuit carrying all tools needed including spare tyres etc, which a westy is no good for you end up having to have a support car even if going to a local track etc, from that point of view fast hatches make sense.
Yes you could do the same in an evo but then consumable costs are far higher.

As an affordable way to be quick on track, a turbo clio is actually a genuinely sensible option IMHO.

Dont you have ITBs on yours?

Yeah - I also wanted to buy the stanced car I posted

I think Clio's make a good basis for both a good looking euro/stanced car and a track car.
I'm not the one that said trying to improve the looks of a Clio was stupid as there are prettier cars out there, while driving around in a stupid boosted Clio because there are much faster cars out there lol #irony

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah - I also wanted to buy the stanced car I posted

I think Clio's make a good basis for both a good looking euro/stanced car and a track car.
I'm not the one that said trying to improve the looks of a Clio was stupid as there are prettier cars out there, while driving around in a stupid boosted Clio because there are much faster cars out there lol #irony

in terms of a car that you can carry all your tools and tyres in, that's still pleasant on the road and that's cheap to run in terms of tyres etc and very quick on track there really aren't many options better than a boosted Clio. In fact I'm struggling to think of anything that really fits the bill significantly better. Can you?

Being old and having been into modified cars for 20+ years I generally tend to make quite well considered decisions tbh and that includes the turbo Clio really.

But if you are scene enough to want a "stance" car there are plenty of things better suited than a mk2 Clio. Practically everything with a vw badge for starters.

so I think you are mistaken about the irony.

Can I? Yes. Boosted DC2, or EK9 or DC5 or pretty much anything jap really. Save money on diffs and start with a better chassis and more power. Arguably a megane is also a much better base car - better chassis again than a clio and already boosted to start with so saves you money, more space and comfier too.

The fact is that there ARE better cars that perform better on track, cheaper to build and offer just as much comfort and practicality as a boosted clio - that's as you like to keep banging on about a statistical fact. But how you perceive the looks of a clio compared to a VW is completely down to your taste and won't match the opinion of a lot of other people. There's no statistical fact that can determine whether people find something pleasing to the eye or not. So to say people should start with a VW instead of a Clio if they want a stanced/euro'd car is nonsense.

But you won't ever admit you're wrong, so I dunno why I'm bothering to be honest.

FYI I prefer euro'd clios to euro'd VW's. Obviously I'm also wrong about my tastes too though ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Integra I've done before but the problem with them is the cost of replacement base engines and in particular shell cost if you bend it.

So no I don't think that is significantly better as a trackday car really.
Great engines and boxes elsewhere in the Honda range which are even more suitable though, vti civic 5 door running gear into a 3 door civic shell, or better still a mini or mk1 Clio which are lighter. But I'm also building both of those currently anyway but they are longer term projects. Downside even then though is fuel cost, my turbo Clio gives better mpg on the road than a standard dc2 does IME

Status
Not open for further replies.